Tips

Afternoon everyone! Question, what's the appropriate amount to tip our servers and room attendant? Last year we went on a 5 day cruise, gave both servers 40.00 apiece and the lady for our room 40 bucks.....but i thought i didn't give them enough. This year we're going on a 7 day Thanksgiving week, Allure out of Ft. Lauderdale. ......just wanna see what you guys tip your people! !!!!!

So we don't have to give them cash at the end? We paid the other gratuities up front, but she left a envelope in our room so i thought everybody left cash. Ok thanks for the response

That doesn't mean you have to keep giving and giving.

It's alright to admit you don't give every spare $ in your pocket as tips

So we don't have to give them cash at the end? We paid the other gratuities up front, but she left a envelope in our room so i thought everybody left cash. Ok thanks for the response

I only tip extra if someone does something entirely outside the realm of their normal duties, or goes above and beyond, for me. And this is very rare. An example would be when the AC in our cabin didn't work properly, the steward monitored the situation and dealt with maintenance for us throughout the day until it was fixed so we didn't have to be bothered with it. Another example was when we had a mattress that was uncomfortable, the steward tried several different methods (egg crate, mattress padding, etc) and when that didn't help, he arranged to have the mattress swapped out for a new one.

The original tips cover everything else. Getting extra towels/pillows, separating the beds, providing ice, cleaning the bathroom, tidying up are all part of their normal duties.

Edited by DonnaK

Totally up to you if you want to pay more than the standard gratuity.

Edited by clarea

As everyone says, automatic tips are fine. The envelopes are there if you choose to tip more. That is completely up to you. Tip as you feel you should. If you feel someone went "above and beyond," then reward accordingly. Totally up to you.

Nowadays, they ADD the tips to your account, so you don't have to hand out cash! If you prepay tips, then nothing is added to your account as they have already been paid.

Just remember, when tipping additionally, how much you've already tipped! Most folks forget....and really go "overboard" with the tipping! I would think, if an additional tip is warranted, $20 to each person would be more than ample!

You will have already tipped the cabin attendant $26.95 Per Person and your waitstaff gets $58.10 Per Person....the rest goes to the laundry folks who do towels and sheets. That is based on a 7 night cruise. That's the standard recommended tip amount for both cruise ships and hotels!

Last year we went on a 5 day cruise, gave both servers 40.00 apiece and the lady for our room 40 bucks.....but i thought i didn't give them enough.

You were very generous. The auto-gratuities are the tips. You don't have to tip more unless you really want to.

Can you add auto tips after you made deposit???

You can add prepaid tips pre-cruise by contacting whoever booked your cruise.

Auto tips are what happens on a daily basis when you don't have prepaid tips.

Are you willing to pay more for your cruise to pay for the increased wages ?? Probably not!

So are you saying that even with the tips they get they are earning less that a reasonable wage??

Or are you a miser who refuses to tip?

My issue is that I doubt we ever go to the main dining room so someone will be waiting on me at the other places too eat (I really hate formal dinners). I absolutely want to tip the full amount and more but would rather give it to the people actually waiting on me. Is there a good way to deal with this? I am a very good tipper but think it is weird if I am tipping people that I never even see while the folks waiting on me get nothing. I am 99% sure I will never set foot in the main dining rooms.