Onboard booking of a next cruise - problems afterwards with Celebrity

Squadra03

Talking about going off topic ...

I just got the news from our TA that they managed to solve the problem with "X".

We get the cruise at the promised prices AND with the promised extra perks!

Alaska, here we come!

That's Great News... Enjoy your cruise & time in our beautiful state!!

Talking about going off topic ...

I just got the news from our TA that they managed to solve the problem with "X".

We get the cruise at the promised prices AND with the promised extra perks!

Alaska, here we come!

I hope you have learned a salient lesson here. Before coming to an online forum / blog to complain about action or lack of action of a company go through the process of resolution first and then if it unresolved express your concern.

By raising this thread you have caused some degree of dissent and bad mouthed a company when there was no need.

You engaged a Travel Agent to deal with your bookings and they appear to have done their job no thanks to your unsubstantiated ranting and raving

I hope you have learned a salient lesson here. Before coming to an online forum / blog to complain about action or lack of action of a company go through the process of resolution first and then if it unresolved express your concern.

By raising this thread you have caused some degree of dissent and bad mouthed a company when there was no need.

You engaged a Travel Agent to deal with your bookings and they appear to have done their job no thanks to your unsubstantiated ranting and raving

Dear Beanb41, I disagree with your comment.

X has first turned down multiple times our request before I posted this. Than it took another 3 weeks to finally give what was stated on our papers and what we booked and paid for! In total it took them 5 weeks... .

If you call this unsubstantiated ranting and raving!?

Next to this each answer took days to get it, between the verbal agreement and the written agreement there was also 3 working days... .

In the end we were just asking if other people had the same problems!

Thank you for your comment.

@Squadra03

I see you live in Belgium - and that might be the problem.

We booked a couple of cruises on board and never had a problem - UNLESS we wanted to change something. Since we live in Germany that causes a problem.

The sales reps on the ships sell their stuff based on American conditions. Based on that their information is correct (most of the times). As long as you live in America or transfer the booking to an American TA everything is fine.

However if you live outside the US and transfer the booking to a local TA the local regulations apply regardless of where you booked. As soon as you or your TA calls Celebrity they will tell you that changes are not possible because they may simply not be possible by your (Belgium) regulations. That happened to us when we wanted to make a change once. German conditions applied and a change meant loosing our perks and deposit.

In our case all worked out fine because we and our TA personally know a member of the RCCL/Celebrity branch office in Germany - so they did some magic. The cruise we changed to was also way more expensive, which also helped ;-)

I agree that surely this is the problem - a lot of the booking rules are different when applied to Europeans, especially when it comes to deposits, promotions, cancellation and price drop rules.

We had two similar situations when trying to book onboard ( other bookings went perfectly well): Once we booked a cruise with lots of perks included and OBC on top. A day later the cruise sales representative shamefacedly told us that he had made a mistake because the promotion only was offered to American and Canadian residents. When he tried to make the booking complete Miami denied him doing this. As the price without the perks was definitely too high we cancelled the booking when still onboard.

The second time the cruise sales rep noticed himself that it was not possible to give us the reduced deposit offered when booking onboard because again it was something only possible for the US market.

Edited by grayjay
typo

Rated: A+

I agree that surely this is the problem - a lot of the booking rules are different when applied to Europeans, especially when it comes to deposits, promotions, cancellation and price drop rules.

We had two similar situations when trying to book onboard ( other bookings went perfectly well): Once we booked a cruise with lots of perks included and OBC on top. A day later the cruise sales representative shamefacedly told us that he had made a mistake because the promotion only was offered to American and Canadian residents. When he tried to make the booking complete Miami denied him doing this. As the price without the perks was definitely too high we cancelled the booking when still onboard.

The second time the cruise sales rep noticed himself that it was not possible to give us the reduced deposit offered when booking onboard because again it was something only possible for the US market.

Ok, this can be the case but in the end they granted what they promised.

On the papers we have there's nowhere mentioned that it would be only applicable to US or Canadian citizens.

The rep knew we were Belgians and our Belgian TA is even mentioned on the papers.

If this would be the reason there is need for a better training of their sales people and to mention these conditions on their contracts.

If this would be the reason there is need for a better training of their sales people and to mention these conditions on their contracts.

1. They are SALES people - no need to say more!

2. It does say in the fine print local regulations apply.

1. They are SALES people - no need to say more!

2. It does say in the fine print local regulations apply.

Sounds 'reasonable' to me, then again my next cruise sounds reasonable too.. especially with no glitches which might ruin it.

Alas, it is on X and not the Titanic or Lusitania... :D

Hi Everyone,

As the OP kindly returned, and advised their situation is now resolved, I'm closing this thread.

Thank you for your understanding and participation.