Tipping as a Local

CPT Trips

I guess that makes sense, but it bothers me that the cruise director is working in countries that have wage laws requiring them to be paid decently, such that tips aren't required to make a living. Yet they are not paid accordingly.

Ā 

I'm not sure why I'm so concerned with this as I know I'm going to tip them as recommended and won't give a hoot. After all, I'm there to enjoy myself and feel good about the trip and short changing the crew serving us is not part of that.

Ā 

The issue is that the tipping seems contrived by the cruise lines given the countries we are visiting.

Ā 

You have a choice. There ARE river cruise lines that include all gratuities in the fare: APT, Avalon, Crystal, Scenic, Tauck. [Did I miss any?]

I guess that makes sense, but it bothers me that the cruise director is working in countries that have wage laws requiring them to be paid decently, such that tips aren't required to make a living. Yet they are not paid accordingly.

Ā 

This is not an unusual circumstance, many people in the EU work as independent self-employed contractors in many different industries, in those cases the minimum wage laws don't apply to them, so don't let that part of this bother you.

You have a choice. There ARE river cruise lines that include all gratuities in the fare: APT, Avalon, Crystal, Scenic, Tauck. [Did I miss any?]

Ā 

Uniworld also includes all gratuities. I don't know if there are any others.

Ā 

I think that tips are included with Emerald as well.

Ā 

FuelScience

Ā 

Avalon does not include gratuities unless there is a specific promotion being offered on a sailing.

Ā 

You missed the fact that I'm going on the cruise in 10 days. Why muck up the conversation???:confused:

You missed the fact that I'm going on the cruise in 10 days. Why muck up the conversation???:confused:

Ā 

All threads are permanent -- others will read this with the same question and a longer timeframe.

On Scenic the cruise director is the only person on board employed directly by Scenic the rest of the crew are sourced from one contract company with two different divisions, hotel & maritime. Much easier for Scenic to offer gratuities included. Of course if you feel that your service goes above and beyond then you can tip as you require but we have tried several times and have been very nicely refused. CA šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§

Avalon does not include gratuities unless there is a specific promotion being offered on a sailing.

Ā 

They do in Australia. All the companies we checked down here, we didn't look at Viking, include gratuities in the price of the cruise. It covers we Aussies that find tipping awkward.