Little French Key

menu1895

Ok just got back. We were there Thursday. Larry did not hand out tickets for our trip. We were the only ship and when we checked in the lady working counter said they were expecting about 175 for the day. Larry put us in a private car with Marvin and he zoomed passed the 3 busses to get us ahead of that wave. Marvin said they were expecting to do at least two more wave of busses before everyone got there. Once we paid they do now have these business card like tickets with numbers that are for drinks and food. So here is our experience. 175 was a lot better then the 500 we had last time. Most people seem to hang out in the lagoon as that is where we started the day until it got more busy. Then we headed to the area by the pizza bar which only had about a dozen people there.

I think the other reason people like the lagoon compared to the pizza beach/mermaid or the King Neptune area is once you wade in the water the ground is not soft but kinda rocky and pebbly compared to the soft sand. We did not care as both area had swim up bars and great service.

Animal update simba is still not back nor is a couple of the sweet monkeys. They did have rosita, Rico and Robert the monkey which came out to play. They do have a jag on the mainland cage that is pregnant with 2 cubs. Also the lion has been moved to his even bigger area and the lions old area is where the have a lion/jag mix cub. At first they said he was just a jag cub but finally the guy who takes care of him admitted that nope in fact it was a mix. I will try to attach a picture of him. Any way for $25 you can get in his cage and he will lick you like a dog and cuddle. Very sweet animal, much like simba. Also the lion lives his nose scratched.

With Marvin getting us there before the busses we beat the line and it seems like now they have 5 girls taking money, they said when people pay credit the machine slows down the process.

One last observation is when getting off the ship in coxen hole before you get outside there were a couple of booths that had signs for little French key and frenchies. I think what they were selling was just the transportation, then you could just pay as a walk up guest. Also big French key continues to grow on the other side of the lagoon, they now have water inflatables and other stuff. Since there was no carnival ship in port that area was dead LFK people were playing on there stuff and the BFK did not care. People would wade, kayak and paddle board over and no one said anything.

Thank you for your review and the pictures too! I think getting there early is key! Were the owners there and were you able to talk to them?

Thank you for your review and the pictures too! I think getting there early is key! Were the owners there and were you able to talk to them?

The owners did not come out to the island on our day. We did see and talk to them on the mainland. Their oldest son is getting ready to go to college to study about animals so they were busy dealing with that. They have hired a General manager for the island and he will come around and try to talk to every guest to see what their experience is and see what thoughts you have on improvements. This is were I got the information about the credit card machine.

They do have another new toy for the island it is a water jet boots. This thing is intense. For $120 you can rent it with instructions for 1 hour. This is not $120 per person but for the hour. After 30 minutes my legs were spent, so my son and wife spent the rest of the time on it. It is intense and a lot of fun. I also love how your whole family can divide up the time. When we looked at doing at the beach it was the same price but per person.

Has anyone done the guided snorkel trip? How was it? Where is the best place to head when you first get there to put your stuff if you want some shade? Where is your favorite place to sit?

Thanks for any info!

Where to sit is really a matter of preference, so many spots with each a little different.

The reef they go out to is beautiful, and its been couple years but our guides both times were great and equipment the same most good places use. It is a very short ride.

We been twice and first time we did not pay the extra for snorkeling and when the owner came over he said he noticed that we did not use a lot of the equipment and that my wife really used none just swam.

Asked if we might be interested in snorkeling and said we were deciding whether to pay extra there and go and he called the guy over and had him take us out for free, three of us went and wife stayed back and he brought her a free drink while we were gone.

So next time we included the snorkeling with the package.

Plan to go back in December on our next cruise there.

Thanks to everyone with all their info on the board! We are there October 4th 2 adults, 2 kids and having been there before almost 3 years ago.....when it was super quiet - I was super concerned because there are two ships in port that day.

I have emailed the LFK for a confirmation of our reservation and to ask about the horseback riding add on and also how busy they expect it for that day so far.....crossing fingers not too insane!

Leah

We will be there October 12 and plan to do the snorkeling. So excited to go to LFK. It will be our first time there. We have been to Maya Key and liked that as well. It is a ship excursion though. Kind of wish LFK was so we don't need to worry about getting back in time:).

We will be there October 12 and plan to do the snorkeling. So excited to go to LFK. It will be our first time there. We have been to Maya Key and liked that as well. It is a ship excursion though. Kind of wish LFK was so we don't need to worry about getting back in time:).

Yes it would be a bit of a relief that's for sure if was through cruiseline! We were there once before years ago..only one bus full that day and it was great and we were back at the ship with lots of time, so hopefully it will be good this time too!!!

Little French key is not a cruise sponsored excursion (at least not on Royal Caribbean), but BIG french key is. Difference? preference?

Little French Key is privately owned and you have to book with them. Big french key is a ship sponsored excursion and is directly across from LFK.

Please read my review listed HERE about the differences and how the confusion came about. The entire review starts HERE if you are interested in that. We have been there three times and I have reviews for each in my signature line. There are hundreds of pictures in each review and within the review you can see the transformation on Big French Key across from them and what it use to be like prior to them building a spot for the cruisers up until today.

Thanks so much for your info. We are coming in to Coxen Hole in October and Mahogany Bay in February. So it sounds like it would be better to do LFK in February and maybe Maya Key in October. We have been to Maya Key before,but never LFk. Have you done both? Which did you prefer and why?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to believe our Western Caribbean trip has come and gone. Missing it and already thinking about how we can swing another cruise! We sailed on Carnival Magic. She needed to miss Belize due to Hurricane Earl but we were able to dock in Roatan as planned and keep our Little French Key excursion. It met all my expectations. I highly doubt there were more than 300 people. Originally calling for 3 ships in port, Carnival Glory was expected, but did not dock. We arrived early and you could tell there were many hours of preparation...everything was raked, clean chairs were set up all around the island with many more at the ready. The animals were awake, had beautiful clean environments and all looked healthy. Larry the Lion does seem old and tired, but he is being treated far better than his prior circus abuse days.

To get to the shuttle, you walk out through the port gate which is forward and to the left and then head left, follow the sidewalk on the left side and walk down the hill. You will come to the area where tour buses will be waiting. We met our drivers easily; they are in Frenchy's tees. It is a bit of a walk and I know I felt it more because I sprained my ankle on the uneven walkway in Costa Maya the day before not more than 1/2 hour of getting off the ship. Ouch!

There wasn’t enough room on the first van so they called on a 2nd one and we were on our way. Maybe waited 10 minutes, if that.

There was no narration on the way over but my husband sat up front and speaks conversational Spanish and was able to talk with the driver. The drive was quick on the way there and took longer on the way back at 4:00.

When we arrived to Frenchy’s, there were quite a few people signing up for their day activities before us but the 2 ladies at the counter kept it moving. We paid (cash), were given wristbands, drink and food cards and were on the raft boat to LFK in no more than 15 minutes. The boat is partially covered. There was a wave runner, water boot sales pitch demo going on and it sure was neat to see. I think it would take a lot of strength to do that, looked fun and priced reasonably. Anyone in your group can boot up and give it a go. We did not see anyone doing this activity during our stay. We didn't see the helicopter either.

As soon as we got off the boat our group was met by Gerardo. He would be our server and host for the day. First he gave us a thorough tour of the island, showed us all the beaches, kayaks, water boards, jump platforms, bars, spa, the zoo area, snorkel gear pick up and horse area. Even though it seemed there were a lot of people ahead of us, we had no problem finding a private area to set up for the family, in fact there were many areas we could have settled down at. We found 5 chairs together and it really could not have been more perfect.

The day was great. Lunch was plenty and cooked perfectly. We never felt like the place was too crowded and it really was a little slice of heaven. We met a couple who was renting the beach house. They said the day before (which was a Monday), they were the only ones there for 1/2 the day, then another vacationing couple arrived...so they basically had the ENTIRE island to themselves! I learned there are no cruise ships on Monday so keep that in mind if you ever want to rent the beach house.

Little French Key is privately owned and you have to book with them. Big french key is a ship sponsored excursion and is directly across from LFK.

Please read my review listed HERE about the differences and how the confusion came about. The entire review starts HERE if you are interested in that. We have been there three times and I have reviews for each in my signature line. There are hundreds of pictures in each review and within the review you can see the transformation on Big French Key across from them and what it use to be like prior to them building a spot for the cruisers up until today.

Beautiful pictures on your review. What kind of camera were you using?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Beautiful pictures on your review. What kind of camera were you using?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have 2 cameras, both Olympus Tough. One is a 630 and the other 820...or is that 620 and 830? :o :confused: LOL But it's the point and shoot Olympus Tough line. :D

Mitsugirly, if you had your choice would you choose LFK in Roatan in Oct. coming into Coxen Hole or do it in February when we come in to Mahogany Bay? Only 1 ship in port in October. Not sure how many ships are in port in Febrary. Maya Key we will do the other time.

thanks

Mitsugirly, if you had your choice would you choose LFK in Roatan in Oct. coming into Coxen Hole or do it in February when we come in to Mahogany Bay? Only 1 ship in port in October. Not sure how many ships are in port in Febrary. Maya Key we will do the other time.

thanks

Well, if I had my choice, I would probably do it for sure in October from Coxenhole. I know it's a "little" further away (not by much) but several factors play in to this. The first is...of course the transportation is included, so it's not like you are paying more because the port is further. Second, "rumors" seem to be that a lot of the times Carnival ships have issues docking (due to the way the port is designed and squeezing in between to dock in Mahogany Bay) and they have to miss the port. If there's any issues at all with waves/wind, you might not dock if you are docking at Mahogany. Third, if you know you are the only ship for sure in October...even better! And I guess fourth...(at least for me), once you go to LFK, you may like it so much that you can't wait to get back there in February. :D (At least that's how it's been for us each time). :p

thanks

Shadow1234,

If you don't mind, will you please report back after your cruise in October. I am still very torn between LFK & Maya Key. I'm curious to know which you prefer between the 2.

Mitsugirly,

We are cruising NCL Getaway in April and have 3 ports that we haven't been to before. I love reading your reviews and we are always able to narrow down what we want to do to at least 2 places that you have been to or recommended and have never been disappointed with our decision. Our last cruise on the Anthem of the Seas, we were to go to Roatan, Costa Maya, & Belize but we had a last minute change of itinerary due to the weather. For Roatan, we had Maya Key booked, but now after reading some of these reviews i'm wondering if we should do LFK instead?

In Belize, i'm debating between Goff's Caye & Hol Chan Reserve, Shark/Ray Alley Caye Caulker

In Cozumel, our debate is Mr Sancho's or Playa Mia

I would appreciate any input. For this cruise it will just be my husband & I, we love the beach, like to snorkel, and really like atmospheres like Chankanaab that gives you a variety of things to do.