Embarkation Port Change

lastlook

Really Viking? So today an e-mail comes through to us to tell us that we are no longer embarking in Barcelona, but in a port an hour and a half away. I'm sure many of us have independent arrangements precruise in Barcelona. The e-mail informs us to have our taxi driver take us to the port of Tarragona, as if it is not a great distance. After looking at the map and putting in directions from Barcelona to Tarragona, it appears to be a good hour and a half away. Really Viking? I think Viking should be transporting EVERYONE from Barcelona to Tarragona.

Somehow Viking lost their berth in Barcelona. Seems to me that this should be Viking's responsibility to get their customers from the original port of embarkation to the alternate port since it is such a distance.

Come on Viking......step up to the plate.

This bites as I have late reservations at a restaurant in the city. Anyone have advice how to get back to the ship without paying a fortune. Uber? Shuttle service? Cab?

What will a cab cost?

Really Viking? So today an e-mail comes through to us to tell us that we are no longer embarking in Barcelona, but in a port an hour and a half away. I'm sure many of us have independent arrangements precruise in Barcelona. The e-mail informs us to have our taxi driver take us to the port of Tarragona, as if it is not a great distance. After looking at the map and putting in directions from Barcelona to Tarragona, it appears to be a good hour and a half away. Really Viking? I think Viking should be transporting EVERYONE from Barcelona to Tarragona.

Somehow Viking lost their berth in Barcelona. Seems to me that this should be Viking's responsibility to get their customers from the original port of embarkation to the alternate port since it is such a distance.

Come on Viking......step up to the plate.

I couldn't agree more that Viking needs to get us to Tarragona from our self-arranged hotels in Barcelona! This new port is 60 miles away AND is a $140 taxi ride. That should not be our financial responsibility. I also checked the train schedule to Tarragona but because of the train times, it means we would get to the ship very late on embarkation day.

We booked our own pre-cruise hotels in Barcelona based on the information given by Viking. This change is a radical difference.

Please help us Viking Ocean!! This is a big problem! We need you.

It appears that if you've purchased transfers or the pre-cruise extension in Barcelona from Viking they will take care of your transfer to the other port. But what about the rest of us? Additionally we were closed out of the pre-cruise extension that we wanted to book with Viking and therefore had to book our own accommodations in Barcelona. So simply because Viking did not have enough availability for the extension, we're going to be hit with additional travel costs.

I agree, Viking should do something for the affected passengers about this! Incidentally, this shortcoming is an unfortunately similar situation to the close out of "included" excursions that I've been complaining about on the Viking Ocean Forum.)

While I'm excited about and looking forward to the cruise, these two situations certainly are making me a bit nervous!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It appears that if you've purchased transfers or the pre-cruise extension in Barcelona from Viking they will take care of your transfer to the other port. But what about the rest of us? Additionally we were closed out of the pre-cruise extension that we wanted to book with Viking and therefore had to book our own accommodations in Barcelona. So simply because Viking did not have enough availability for the extension, we're going to be hit with additional travel costs.

I agree, Viking should do something for the affected passengers about this! Incidentally, this shortcoming is an unfortunately similar situation to the close out of "included" excursions that I've been complaining about on the Viking Ocean Forum.)

While I'm excited about and looking forward to the cruise, these two situations certainly are making me a bit nervous!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't help but wonder if the transfer fee will be increased for those who are taking the Viking transfers (or those who now want to purchase the Viking transfers if that is still possible.) Beyond getting ourselves to the port of Barcelona, whether through a previously booked Viking transfer or through independent arrangements, it should then be Viking's responsibility to bus everyone to the new port of embarkation since it is such a distance. Even if they are not obligated contractually to do so, it is simply good customer service.

I can't help but wonder if the transfer fee will be increased for those who are taking the Viking transfers (or those who now want to purchase the Viking transfers if that is still possible.) Beyond getting ourselves to the port of Barcelona, whether through a previously booked Viking transfer or through independent arrangements, it should then be Viking's responsibility to bus everyone to the new port of embarkation since it is such a distance. Even if they are not obligated contractually to do so, it is simply good customer service.

I know it feels good to vent here but more fact and less supposition will go even further to making you feel better. Contact Viking directly at the TellUs@vikingcruises.com address that they have published here on the boards. Tell them what your problem is and ask them to call you to discuss it.

(In the meantime, you have me freaking out as well since we are scheduled for Barcelona in December with an 11am flight out of Barcelona airport and no transfer to the airport. I really don't want to hear that we, too, are being moved to another port).

Edited by Peregrina651

I know it feels good to vent here but more fact and less supposition will go even further to making you feel better. Contact Viking directly at the TellUs@vikingcruises.com address that they have published here on the boards. Tell them what your problem is and ask them to call you to discuss it.

(In the meantime, you have me freaking out as well since we are scheduled for Barcelona in December with an 11am flight out of Barcelona airport and no transfer to the airport. I really don't want to hear that we, too, are being moved to another port).

I agree.

Really Viking? So today an e-mail comes through to us to tell us that we are no longer embarking in Barcelona, but in a port an hour and a half away.

Somehow Viking lost their berth in Barcelona. Seems to me that this should be Viking's responsibility to get their customers from the original port of embarkation to the alternate port since it is such a distance..

I'm sure Viking will look after you. We had a port change and because we were doing some pre cruise travel (not via Viking) they paid for the transfers to the new port.

If your flying in to Barcelona on the day of embarkation, they will organise transfer from the airport.

I do plan to contact Viking directly as a next step. They obviously monitor these boards and it seems that they should be reaching out and not waiting to see if passengers will be contacting them for assistance with this problem.

Seems ironic that their e-mail touting themselves as having been voted the #1 cruise line by T&L readers arrived in my inbox an hour before the e-mail about the port change. The e-mail provided their toll free reservations number for any questions but no option to reply to their e-mail. Only those of us familiar with Cruise Critic would be aware of the "Tell Us" option here.

I'm sure Viking will look after you. We had a port change and because we were doing some pre cruise travel (not via Viking) they paid for the transfers to the new port.

If your flying in to Barcelona on the day of embarkation, they will organise transfer from the airport.

Transfers are the least of the problem! We booked a cruise from Barcelona not Tarragona. Now we will be an hour and thirty minutes from the city we signed up for. Kind of hard to get off the ship and have a look around Barcelona. Every time you go to Barcelona you lose 3 hours in travel.

Edited by Lumpy1509

It appears that we are now sailing from Tarragona on Day 1 of the cruise (9/4/16), and will port in Barcelona on Day 2 (9/5/16.) Hopefully all excursions will remain as scheduled for Day 2 in Barcelona. (In viewing MVJ, Day 1 has been changed from "BARCELONA" to "CRUISING", with "BARCELONA" still showing as our port for Day 2 of the cruise.)

Is this for ALL passengers or only for those who have purchased transfers?

I did not ask my TA that question but I had written to both my TA and to the "Tell Us" Viking e-mail link to get this resolved in our case. I did not hear back directly from Viking, so only have the information from my TA. It could be that each passenger will have to advocate for themselves.

If you are on an independent pre-cruise in Barcelona must you return to the airport for your transportation?

Hoping this is figured out by 4/17!!!

If you are on an independent pre-cruise in Barcelona must you return to the airport for your transportation?

Hoping this is figured out by 4/17!!!

This thread applies to the 9/4/16 sailing due to the embarkation port change from Barcelona to Tarragona. Hopefully your 4/17 cruise will not be affected and your embarkation port will remain Barcelona, and the normal transfers will operate as per your documentation. Check your paper work or check with your TA if you used one.

Is this for ALL passengers or only for those who have purchased transfers?

Have just heard directly from Viking and they are going to provide complimentary airport transfers from BCN for all affected guests to the Viking Sea at the port of Tarragona.

If you have not already been contacted, it seems that the previously recommended TellUs@vikingcruises.com method of contact is the way to go.

Viking sent another email today to offer an additional transfer option. In addition to the offer to transfer from the airport (BCN) to Tarragona, they are also offering to transfer those who are already in Barcelona, from Viking's pre-cruise hotel (Renaissance Barcelona) to Tarragona - both options are now complimentary transfers for all passengers on the 9/4/16 sailing.

In our case, we now just need to get ourselves from our hotel to the Renaissance, which will be much easier than trekking back to the airport for our transfer. (It appears that there is more than one Renaissance hotel in Barcelona, so be sure to check the address of the one that Viking is using if you plan to take the transfer from the Hotel Renaissance Barcelona.)

In our case, we now just need to get ourselves from our hotel to the Renaissance, which will be much easier than trekking back to the airport for our transfer. (It appears that there is more than one Renaissance hotel in Barcelona, so be sure to check the address of the one that Viking is using if you plan to take the transfer from the Hotel Renaissance Barcelona.)

And just to be sure there is no confusion, have Viking confirm the hotel address in writing.

Edited by Peregrina651

It appears that we are now sailing from Tarragona on Day 1 of the cruise (9/4/16), and will port in Barcelona on Day 2 (9/5/16.) Hopefully all excursions will remain as scheduled for Day 2 in Barcelona. (In viewing MVJ, Day 1 has been changed from "BARCELONA" to "CRUISING", with "BARCELONA" still showing as our port for Day 2 of the cruise.)

Well, it's not so much fun for Viking to have to do change-over day in Tarragona but if they are sailing overnight to Barcelona to be there for Day 2 and all the touring that they have scheduled for that day, then it isn't all bad. Have you confirmed this Viking?

IMHO, find a good place for paella (maybe by a beach) and make the best of this bonus city. I see on TripAdvisor that there is a Roman aqueduct there and right after I get my paella, that would be the first thing I would want to see. To me, the smaller provincial cities are the real soul of Spain.

Dear Peregrina651,

We’ve enjoyed reading about your recent experience aboard Viking Sea and are delighted to hear that you had a great time!

Your inquiry about the revised port times for Viking Sea itineraries beginning September 4, 2016 has caught our attention and we are happy to respond and provide clarification to you and the Cruise Critic community.

As suggested in the email notice sent to impacted guests and travel agents yesterday afternoon, we do plan to sail from Tarragona to Barcelona the first night, following embarkation. Viking Sea is scheduled to arrive in Barcelona at 7:00 a.m. on Day 2.

We hope this helps clarify. If there are any additional questions regarding this adjustment, we would be happy to hear from our Cruise Critic members at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

Well, it's not so much fun for Viking to have to do change-over day in Tarragona but if they are sailing overnight to Barcelona to be there for Day 2 and all the touring that they have scheduled for that day, then it isn't all bad. Have you confirmed this Viking?

IMHO, find a good place for paella (maybe by a beach) and make the best of this bonus city. I see on TripAdvisor that there is a Roman aqueduct there and right after I get my paella, that would be the first thing I would want to see. To me, the smaller provincial cities are the real soul of Spain.