Questions about Southampton and London

Hello London to Southampton compatriots: We arrive the morning of Aug 26th and are also staying at the Hampton Inn by Hilton Waterloo. Planning on a couple of days of touring. Thanks to all the help here, we snagged the $1 fares from Waterloo to Southampton on the 9:39 train Monday morning to get to the ship. Yes, it can be done!

See you in the pubs...

Melissa

• 1 month later...

Am I doing something wrong

Errrr, yes ;)

Or mebbe it's the settings on your device. :confused:

At the bottom of the forums, does your screen show....

Forum Tools Search this Forum

Mark This Forum Read Mark This Forum Read

Subscription Subscribe to This Forum

View Parent Forum View Parent Forum Search this Forum :

Advanced Search

No new posts No new posts More than 5 replies or 40 views Hot thread with no new posts

Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread

Posting Rules

You may post new threads

You may post replies

You may post attachments

You may edit your posts

BB code is On

Smilies are On

code is On

HTML code is Off

................................................................................

And at the bottom of a thread, does your screen show.........

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version

Email this Page Email this Page

Subscription Subscribe to this Thread Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Linear Mode Linear Mode

Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode

Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode

Posting Rules

You may post new threads

You may post replies

You may post attachments

You may edit your posts

BB code is On

Smilies are On

code is On

HTML code is Off

........................................................................................

Check this forum, and mebbe ask on there

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=163

Good luck

JB :)

When I go to cruise critic and want to read a comment the page comes up but you cannot read the comments I found if you join the conversation you start to get e mails and can now read tg

he comments. Am I doing something wrong

Here's a thread by others who've been having the same problem.

And hopefully an answer for you

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2398059

Can take the Underground train from Heathrow (Terminal 3) to Waterloo Station (2 changes I think) and then the train from Waterloo Station to Southhampton and a Taxi to the pier, or we may walk it (20 minutes) they say.

And do you know the names of the trains for the 2 train changes (if I got it right)?

Way better than RCL telling us to go back to the airport and them taking us by Bus for $204.00.

We are staying at the Wellington which just so happens to be across the street from the Waterloo Station (LUCKY booking)

Can take the Underground train from Heathrow (Terminal 3) to Waterloo Station (2 changes I think) and then the train from Waterloo Station to Southhampton and a Taxi to the pier, or we may walk it (20 minutes) they say.

And do you know the names of the trains for the 2 train changes (if I got it right)?

Way better than RCL telling us to go back to the airport and them taking us by Bus for $204.00.

We are staying at the Wellington which just so happens to be across the street from the Waterloo Station (LUCKY booking)

Underground with luggage is not a pleasant experience --gets very very full. Have you considered Heathrow Express then a cab to your hotel.

Check out the routes on the trainline or britrail websites.

Underground with luggage is not a pleasant experience --gets very very full. Have you considered Heathrow Express then a cab to your hotel.

Check out the routes on the trainline or britrail websites.

Britrail pass for 3 days was $308 and the Heathrow Express was $84 pp for Heathrow to Paddington. I just don't know why their trains are so expensive. NYC was way cheaper and easy to use system.

The tube (underground) is your cheapest option from Heathrow to Waterloo at about £6 pp, and it can be done with just one change - at Green Park station, where you switch to the Jubilee line for a Stratford-bound train on the Jubilee line.

But, as the Alaskan says, the tube isn't great with luggage. OK getting on at Heathrow, it's the start of the line so won't be busy, & there's a train every ten minutes. But in central London the tube can get pretty packed, and hauling luggage can be very tiresome & inconvenient.

Hopefully a Londoner who knows Green Park station will come on & suggest whether a switch from the Piccadilly line to the Jubilee line is easier, or whether it's easier to leave the tube at Green Park & take a black cab from there to your hotel - it's only about a mile.

Heathrow Express. The walk-up fare is expensive at over £20 pp, though booking months ahead saves more than half. It goes to Paddington station, well over 3 miles from Waterloo on the opposite side of central London. There's a direct tube (Bakerloo line) from Paddington to Waterloo, but via Paddington is a bit of a dog-leg & wouldn't be my choice.

With luggage I'd use the tube, or a pre-booked private transfer, or a tube / taxi combo.

PS Iafan 42. $84 pp for Heathrow to Paddington???????

Got your wires crossed somewhere ;)

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/b2w?tid=WEXT12181&CMP=PSB013&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EMEA_UK_EN_BRAND_SEARCH&utm_term=heathrow%20express&gclid=COndsprlns8CFYafGwodqa8CgQ

Can take the Underground train from Heathrow (Terminal 3) to Waterloo Station (2 changes I think) ...

I would do this:-

Take the Piccadilly Line to Barons Court.

Change at Barons Court for the District Line; you get off the Piccadilly Line train and walk about 10 feet or so to the other side of the same platform, and get on the District Line train there.

At Westminster, change to the Jubilee Line; you can do this by escalator or lift (elevator). Go one stop and get off at Waterloo, where there should also step-free access to street level.

The exit from the Jubilee Line is on Waterloo Road. You then just need to cross the road and turn left; the pub is a very short walk away.

Personally, I would not do this by changing at Green Park unless I really had to. If you do, the route recommended by many is to follow the Way Out signs and go up the escalator to ticket hall level. But do not exit through the gate line; instead, go back down the escalator towards the Jubilee Line.

If it's wet or if you're travelling during the morning peak, instead of changing at Barons Court, change one stop earlier at Hammersmith.

Britrail pass for 3 days was $308 and the Heathrow Express was $84 pp for Heathrow to Paddington. I just don't know why their trains are so expensive.
Probably because you're being ripped off by whoever is trying to sell you tickets at these prices.

For the Heathrow Express, why would you not buy your tickets on the Heathrow Express website? Or at least look at the price there first?

Ditto for the train from Waterloo to Southampton. You don't need to pay any more than the fares posted on the South West Trains website.

Edited by Globaliser

Can take the Underground train from Heathrow (Terminal 3) to Waterloo Station (2 changes I think) ..........................

And do you know the names of the trains for the 2 train changes

Globaliser's routes by tube involve two changes (Baron's Court or Hammersmith, plus Westminster), mine involves just the one (Green Park).

But I'm a country boy who rarely visits the big bad city, and G knows the station layouts.

With luggage, two easy changes beat one difficult one. ;)

Heathrow Airport - London Paddington

2 x Adult

Travel Date: 28 September 2016

Ticket Single (Humm? Single means one way?)

Express $58.60 (2 Tickets or 1?)

This is from the Heathrow web page.

But when I added the Waterloo Station from this web page http://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions I got the $84 USD.

The train from Waterloo to Southampton was cheap 6 or 7 pounds each, it was RCL that wanted us to go back to the airport and take a bus for $202 a couple.

This has just been so confusing and I truly thank everyone for the advice and suggestions.

Globaliser's routes by tube involve two changes (Baron's Court or Hammersmith, plus Westminster), mine involves just the one (Green Park).

But I'm a country boy who rarely visits the big bad city, and G knows the station layouts.

Actually, it's not so much simply knowing the station layouts. I often do go from Heathrow to Canary Wharf or Canning Town on the Jubilee Line. Sometimes with two full-size suitcases. And the two-change route is the one that I prefer. So it's not just a theoretical choice.

2 x Adult

This is the Heathrow Express website: https://www.heathrowexpress.com/

Simply price a ticket to Paddington and leave it like that. You can buy the Waterloo-Southampton ticket separately.

I grew up in the UK and crossed London via underground to get to my university --no big deal when I was young and fit. Today I look at ease of passage. If I was doing your trip with luggage (only you know how heavy / awkward they will be) I still would do Heathrow Express and a cab --worth the money to me. I happily use the underground to get from place to place in London --just not with luggage....

Please keep asking questions to check that you have reasonable prices.

http://www.londondrum.com/transport/train-journey.php?from=paddington&to=waterloo

Edited by Alaskanb

That change at Green Park is horrible even without luggage - up and down stairs and along corridors if you follow the signs. The easiest way is actually to take the escalators all the way up to the ticket hall and the separate ones down to the Jubilee platforms - but they are being refurbished at the moment, so I'm avoiding Green Park completely! Last time I accidentally wandered in the access to the Jubilee was down to the Piccadilly platforms and along said stairs and passages....

I'm south-east Jubilee line resident when in London - Globaliser is spot on...of course! Although I'd take the Heathrow Express over the tube even at full price :)

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

2 x Adult

But when I added the Waterloo Station from this web page http://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions I got the $84 USD.

The train from Waterloo to Southampton was cheap 6 or 7 pounds each, it was RCL that wanted us to go back to the airport and take a bus for $202 a couple.

This has just been so confusing and I truly thank everyone for the advice and suggestions.

That $58-60 is the one-way fare for two adults (it's £44, made up of 2 x £22 priced tickets) on Heathrow Express to Paddington. Unfortunately, you are too late for the excellent value advance fares.

I cannot work out where the $84 comes from! There doesn't seem to be anywhere to add Waterloo to the HEX booking on the page you linked (nor would I expect there to be).

Britrail pass for 3 days was $308.... NYC was way cheaper and easy to use system.

The BritRail passes are for unlimited exploration by rail over a number of days. Naturally they would be horrible value for two point-to-point journeys, but yes we do have some pretty expensive railways!

Just to manage expectations, I hope you realise that the Wellington is a large, often busy, pub with rooms above, rather than a more usual hotel. Very interested to hear your views afterwards, as it doesn't often get mentioned here, despite being the most convenient for Waterloo stations.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

That change at Green Park is horrible even without luggage - up and down stairs and along corridors if you follow the signs. The easiest way is actually to take the escalators all the way up to the ticket hall and the separate ones down to the Jubilee platforms - but they are being refurbished at the moment, so I'm avoiding Green Park completely! Last time I accidentally wandered in the access to the Jubilee was down to the Piccadilly platforms and along said stairs and passages....
If anyone wants to see a visual representation of why Green Park is so horrible for this change, have a look at this:-

1z33q07.jpg

[Clicky; you may need to click a second time to go straight to the full-size image.]

The BritRail passes are for unlimited exploration by rail over a number of days. Naturally they would be horrible value for two point-to-point journeys, but yes we do have some pretty expensive railways!

Just to manage expectations, I hope you realise that the Wellington is a large, often busy, pub with rooms above, rather than a more usual hotel. Very interested to hear your views afterwards, as it doesn't often get mentioned here, despite being the most convenient for Waterloo stations.

Thanks everyone for the help. We will just pay for the Heathrow Express when we get to the airport and then a black cab from Paddington :)

The train from Waterloo to Southampton is still a go for us too :)

I'll get the Oyster card the first time we use the underground to get around London.

I hope the Wellington is a good place to stay and I'll try to get you a report when we return :)

British beds are much smaller than their US counterparts. A UK King is about the size of our Queen. We find a UK queen too small for us so usually book a twin room. You may ask about that before you travel.

The change at Barons Court or Hammersmith is a simple across the platform, no stairs, escalators or anything. Off one train onto the other right across. The change from the District line train to the Jubilee line is, as I remember, simple with hardly any stairs or corridors. Think there are escalators from the sub surface district line platform to the much deeper Jubilee line. Personally, I would go that way.

If you're doing Paddington Express and then cab, you might as well look into a car service directly from Heathrow to your hotel. It will probably come out cheaper and more comfy.

We just returned today from our 29nt sailing. We flew to Heathrow and took the Shared Shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I booked it through Viator and booked it at a really great price. Our flight arrived so we borrowed a phone and called the local number listed on our confirmation. They were great and the driver was there waiting for us. We were the only ones - vehicle was a brand new Audi. The Driver, Rocho, was beyond outstanding. We had booked the Hampton by Hilton Waterloo that was a real gem! Outstanding front desk staff, great complimentary breakfast, and the hotel turned out to be for us in walking distance to everything we wanted to see and do. We didn't even need to purchase an Oyster card or take the tube or bus. We walked to the Waterloo Station and took the 9:39am train to Southampton that I had booked several wks before - total 8£ for the two of us. Once we arrived in Southampton, shared a taxi with another couple - 3£ per couple. If we return to London again, we'll definitely book the Shared Shuttle and Hampton by Hilton Waterloo. I hope this helps.

We just returned today from our 29nt sailing. We flew to Heathrow and took the Shared Shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I booked it through Viator and booked it at a really great price. Our flight arrived so we borrowed a phone and called the local number listed on our confirmation. They were great and the driver was there waiting for us. We were the only ones - vehicle was a brand new Audi. The Driver, Rocho, was beyond outstanding. We had booked the Hampton by Hilton Waterloo that was a real gem! Outstanding front desk staff, great complimentary breakfast, and the hotel turned out to be for us in walking distance to everything we wanted to see and do. We didn't even need to purchase an Oyster card or take the tube or bus. We walked to the Waterloo Station and took the 9:39am train to Southampton that I had booked several wks before - total 8£ for the two of us. Once we arrived in Southampton, shared a taxi with another couple - 3£ per couple. If we return to London again, we'll definitely book the Shared Shuttle and Hampton by Hilton Waterloo. I hope this helps.

Wow! This did help and I just got the shared shuttle service for $38! Sweet for door to door service :)