Gluten Free Foods

richarduk

I would appreciate some information regarding how well gluten free foods are handled, particularly in the buffet. Are the staff well versed in knowing if particular items are gluten free or are the items labeled etc?

I'm also interested to know how room service and the main restaurant handles the same situation and what gluten free items are freely available.

Thanks.

With response as recently as yesterday afternoon that addresses the same topic... You will find it here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376205

As WestLakeGirl has noted, this subject is discussed frequently--probably a few times/month--on the Celebrity Forum... You will find that Cruise Critic's "Search" function--which you can access above [enter the topic and narrow down the scope to "Celebrity"--will provide you with a treasure trove of related information...

I would appreciate some information regarding how well gluten free foods are handled, particularly in the buffet. Are the staff well versed in knowing if particular items are gluten free or are the items labeled etc?

I'm also interested to know how room service and the main restaurant handles the same situation and what gluten free items are freely available.

Thanks.

Are you going GF because you want to, or like my Wife, have Celiac?

Are you going GF because you want to, or like my Wife, have Celiac?

There are other chronic diseases that wear down the digestive system where a gluten-free diet can make all the difference. I'm in that category. Celiac gets the press, but sufferers of the Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis) can see improvement in their daily lives from eating gluten-free.

There are other chronic diseases that wear down the digestive system where a gluten-free diet can make all the difference. I'm in that category. Celiac gets the press, but sufferers of the Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis) can see improvement in their daily lives from eating gluten-free.

Oh we are so aware as she also has Ulcerative Colitis too.

The reason I asked the question is we hear on a regular basis, 'oh your on that fad diet' We wish.:(

Thanks.

We can accommodate most special dietary requirements in our main dining room where there is a greater degree of control over the production and service of special meals. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the Specialty Restaurants' galleys, we cannot customize the offerings in these locations.

For special meal requests, please contact our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 or special_needs@rccl.com.

The reason I asked the question is we hear on a regular basis, 'oh your on that fad diet' We wish.:(

I have UC, too! I just wish those with UC or Crohn's would get lumped in with the Celiac sufferers instead of the fad diet most of the time. There's so much awareness of Celiac now and that's been a helpful thing for me when I eat out or travel. The symptoms are so gross for IBD that I don't generally discuss it with others and that means awareness isn't going to come anytime soon for those like me. ;)

Richard, this is why I was trying to determine the reason or need for your question. That said, Celebrity does one of the best jobs at GF care of the 7 lines we have sailed.

EW

Trying to get back on subject. I promise!

Wallie, can you compare Celebrity to Royal Caribbean? From reading posts, it sounds like it's even better and I've had a great experience on RCL.

Trying to get back on subject. I promise!

Wallie, can you compare Celebrity to Royal Caribbean? From reading posts, it sounds like it's even better and I've had a great experience on RCL.

She was diagnosed, finally, in 2003 after we sailed on the Rhapsody. We thought our cruising days were done. Finally went back on the Mariner in 2007, at the recommendation of an friend with Celiac. What a difference it was! Galley tour set her at ease. The Freedom in 2011 and the understanding that this is not just something she wants to do, service was outta sight. Even in Chops!

Princess in 2012, she did not get sick the entire cruise.

Reflection in 2013, Equinox the last 2 years, are yet heads above all the others. The GF Pizza station in the Ocean View buffet brought tears to her eyes! The varied bread selections were wonderful, none of which had the structure of cardboard! ;) She loves Silk Harvest! Thought she was in Heaven.

We were in the MDR 13 & 14, Blu last yr and not a single server looked at her with that blank stare! :eek:

There was one problem but we caught it in time, she was given the wrong bowl of soup one time in Tuscan, she saw pasta in her first spoon full! They quickly exchanged it, as a food runner had grabbed the wrong cup.

We first sailed Celebrity in 1994.

ps: in the buffet ask to speak to one of the Chef's, they will gladly walk you thru the area and point out what to do ans ask the staff.

Edited by wallie5446

I posted more information in the other Celiac thread yesterday but I sailed on Celebrity a month ago and had a great food experience eating in Blu for breakfast/lunch and in the buffet for lunch. First time cruiser so nothing to compare it too but I haven't eaten that well in a decade (and I eat pretty well at home!).

We have a friend who suffers from a very severe gluten allergy and even the slightest cross-contamination can make her sick for several days. She tells me that there is no way to trust any ship buffet, and especially a buffet where there are self-service options. The risk of cross contamination is just too great. Even somebody using tongs or a serving spoon from a different item can be enough to trigger a gluten reaction. So she has learned to generally avoid buffets unless she can get a server to prepare and serve an item for just her use.

Hank

Don't you just hate that. I was out to dinner, and asked for a G.F. menu, and then asked about non wheat vodkas, and the waiter then said, "Oh, you are serious. I will make a note on your ticket that it is an allergy." I can't imagine what might have happened if he thought I was doing it to be fashionable.

Yeah, I would never eat this way if I didn't have to.

Edited by screwsmcernst

Thanks.

This is my response to the other poster on the other thread:

I have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease 4 years ago, and we sailed on the Summit 1.5 yrs ago. It was the best experience I have ever had dealing with food on a cruise ship. And I was really worried before we sailed.

I contacted the special needs department on the Celebrity cruise website and told them of my needs. On embarkation, I went to the MDR and spoke to the Maitre D just to make sure they were aware. He told me my booking was flagged, and I would have no troubles. Every evening, I was given the menu for the next night, and I placed my order. They even made me my very own GF chocolate cake, and any time I wanted a piece I just had to ask. I don't know if that is the norm, but they were nice enough to do that for me.

Their GF bread is really good also. They have a special section of the kitchen specifically for food allergies. All of my meals were prepared there.

The Buffet was just as easy. All of the buffet item labels had the same symbols as the MDR menu. So I knew what was GF. You do have to watch for possible cross contamination, but I never once had a problem.

The coffee shop, also has a daily gluten free cookie option... the macaroons are wonderful.

We sailed on Carnival last December, and I wish I could say it was just as good, but it was not. I actually lost weight on that cruise. True!!!

We are planning our next cruise, and it will be on Celebrity because they are the best IMO at dealing with food allergies.

I hope you have the same experience that I had.

Thanks.

I'm also not celiac, but I am intolerant for grains (wheat) and lactose.

We did 3 cruises with Celebrity and all went great!

I am even choosing more and more cruises instead of land based vacations because the care on the ships is much better than on land based vacations.

So "X" is doing great on this side and you can really see their personnel is trained. Because we choose all the time aqua class they have me the menu for the next day every evening, i could already choose my food and they prepared it wheat/grain free and lactose free.

This is my response to the other poster on the other thread:

I have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease 4 years ago, and we sailed on the Summit 1.5 yrs ago. It was the best experience I have ever had dealing with food on a cruise ship. And I was really worried before we sailed.

I contacted the special needs department on the Celebrity cruise website and told them of my needs. On embarkation, I went to the MDR and spoke to the Maitre D just to make sure they were aware. He told me my booking was flagged, and I would have no troubles. Every evening, I was given the menu for the next night, and I placed my order. They even made me my very own GF chocolate cake, and any time I wanted a piece I just had to ask. I don't know if that is the norm, but they were nice enough to do that for me.

Their GF bread is really good also. They have a special section of the kitchen specifically for food allergies. All of my meals were prepared there.

The Buffet was just as easy. All of the buffet item labels had the same symbols as the MDR menu. So I knew what was GF. You do have to watch for possible cross contamination, but I never once had a problem.

The coffee shop, also has a daily gluten free cookie option... the macaroons are wonderful.

We sailed on Carnival last December, and I wish I could say it was just as good, but it was not. I actually lost weight on that cruise. True!!!

We are planning our next cruise, and it will be on Celebrity because they are the best IMO at dealing with food allergies.

I hope you have the same experience that I had.

OMG the cake sounds soooooo good!! I'm just off RCCL's Brilliance, and while I had no issues eating GF there (recently diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity), I am soooooooo tired of pudding and mousse as that seemed to be their only thought of what could be GF dessert-wise! (While I normally don't get excited about Baked Alaska, the fact that it was GF practically made me jump for joy as it wasn't pudding or mousse).

It sounds like I'll be well-fed on Celebrity!!

OMG the cake sounds soooooo good!! I'm just off RCCL's Brilliance, and while I had no issues eating GF there (recently diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity), I am soooooooo tired of pudding and mousse as that seemed to be their only thought of what could be GF dessert-wise! (While I normally don't get excited about Baked Alaska, the fact that it was GF practically made me jump for joy as it wasn't pudding or mousse).

It sounds like I'll be well-fed on Celebrity!!

I was so blessed on that cruise. I was also expecting to eat crème brulee every night. On the first evening, I asked if it would be possible to get a piece of chocolate cake for dessert the next night, and they said yes. When they brought me my piece the next evening, they told me, the cake was waiting for me when ever I wanted it. =) I don't know if that is the norm, but it was AMAZING. :)

I was so blessed on that cruise. I was also expecting to eat crème brulee every night. On the first evening, I asked if it would be possible to get a piece of chocolate cake for dessert the next night, and they said yes. When they brought me my piece the next evening, they told me, the cake was waiting for me when ever I wanted it. =) I don't know if that is the norm, but it was AMAZING. :)

Good to know!! I was spared the creme brûlée every night because on RCCL it has Bailey's in it - and that's not GF.

I will definitely remember to politely ask if there is any possibility for chocolate cake! 😀

Good to know!! I was spared the creme brûlée every night because on RCCL it has Bailey's in it - and that's not GF.

I will definitely remember to politely ask if there is any possibility for chocolate cake!

The good news, at least in the UK, is that Baileys ingredients are gluten free. It states this on their own website:)

I was on the Summit a month ago and the first night (we were in Blu) the Maitre D' put in a standing order for "Chef's Surprise" gluten free dessert - something different every night of the cruise without my ever ordering. I finally ordered the creme brûlée the last night because I hadn't ordered it yet and had two desserts that night!