Using a travel agent?

I have found a better deal with a TA. The cost of the cruise and the 2 freebies are the same, but we get a $215 store gift card after the cruise. If we book this way, are we still able to change our room, get better rates, upsell, cancel our cruise or switch ships or dates as we would if we booked directly with NCL? Would we still get our NextCruise certificate refunded if we canceled? We've never used a TA before.

I have found a better deal with a TA. The cost of the cruise and the 2 freebies are the same, but we get a $215 store gift card after the cruise. If we book this way, are we still able to change our room, get better rates, upsell, cancel our cruise or switch ships or dates as we would if we booked directly with NCL? Would we still get our NextCruise certificate refunded if we canceled? We've never used a TA before.

As far as room changes, price drops prior to final, upsells, the TA would handle these for you rather than NCL. Ditto for a cancellation of the cruise and a switch to another. Ask the TA what their cancellation policy is, and if they charge anything for "changes". You can still talk to NCL about general things, make dinner and excursion reservations.

Not sure about CruiseNext. If it works like the old ones did, it should just go back to your account at NCL to be used on your next booking if the cruise is cancelled. No refund of what you paid.

Your cruise is now in the hands of your TA and all working of the cruise will have to go through them except for extras that you book yourself through the website.

The norm with Future Cruise Certificates is that the value returns to your account and will be used on the next booking you make; there is no refund.

You need to check with your TA as to what there policy is as it has nothing to do with NCL.

Chances are they have fees attached for canceling.

I asked and he said no charges for changes. I don't plan to cancel, you just never know.

As far as room changes, price drops prior to final, upsells, the TA would handle these for you rather than NCL. Ditto for a cancellation of the cruise and a switch to another. Ask the TA what their cancellation policy is, and if they charge anything for "changes". You can still talk to NCL about general things, make dinner and excursion reservations.

Not sure about CruiseNext. If it works like the old ones did, it should just go back to your account at NCL to be used on your next booking if the cruise is cancelled. No refund of what you paid.

Once final payment has been paid, do I work directly with NCL or my TA? I forgot to ask him. What I'm wondering is if I can call the NCL upsell department to try and get a good, last minute deal on a better room...spa, suite, haven, etc. [emoji4]

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

but maybe not so much a big box discounter.

Every seller of the cruise product gets exactly the same pricing from the cruise line. They are asked not to discount, and definitely not to advertise discounted rates.

They can offer you additional perks such as this merchant card or OBC or many other things. What ever they offer you over what you can get directly, comes directly out of their commission.

Big box stores are often willing to offer more because they have a high volume.

While not all big box agencies are this way, many are great at the upfront selling , but lack in the area of after the sale support.

Even when a individual TA offers you additional OBC or bottle of wine, it is coming directly out of their commission.

Most TA's are willing to offer incentives to try to keep the business, as getting some money for their services is better than getting none. But you must realize that they do not have the volume of the big box, who often lose money on the sale, as they realize that they make it up on another sale.

There are many rooms where the commission for the agent is only $50 or less, so expecting a large perk is unlikely unless you are a extremely good client. Big box stores offset this with the sales of suites and other higher priced and commissioned rooms.

Bottom line inquire as to how much after the sale support they offer and how good they are at it.

I asked and he said no charges for changes. I don't plan to cancel, you just never know.

Once final payment has been paid, do I work directly with NCL or my TA? I forgot to ask him. What I'm wondering is if I can call the NCL upsell department to try and get a good, last minute deal on a better room...spa, suite, haven, etc. [emoji4]

Some booked with TAs report that they have called upsell department directly with no problems. I don't know how NCL gets around this booking ownership issue, but maybe after final it is different. If not calling the upsell dept direct, they will refer you back to your TA who will have to make the call.

I have a great TA and she's provided superior service to any other TA or PCC. I've gotten cheaper rates and better perks. The downside is additional cancellation fees (which should be mitigated by travel insurance) and a $24.99 processing fee that I ask her to waive. No difference on upsell or any other service provided by NCL.

I just came from my travel agent. He is a long time friend and I would never go on a cruise or a land based tour without him. He just saved me some money on a cruise, the travel insurance for the cruise, my hotel and my flights.

I am an agent, and I have had client's call directly to upsell, and they have had no problems.

There have been times, that it is more effective for me to call on their behalf, but I work out potential details prior to calling. I get the approval to accept on the spot for the upgrade to a specific category at no more than a specific price first.

Upsell wants an immediate answer and there is no changing your mind or do overs. If I had to wait to check with a client, there is a good chance the opportunity would pass them by.

Thanks to forums such as these, the upsell department gets inundated with requests....and if you do not accept on the spot, there is a good likelihood that the offer is no longer available.

As an agent , we have no advance info on when a particular sailing will become available for upselling.

I am an agent, and I have had client's call directly to upsell, and they have had no problems.

There have been times, that it is more effective for me to call on their behalf, but I work out potential details prior to calling. I get the approval to accept on the spot for the upgrade to a specific category at no more than a specific price first.

Upsell wants an immediate answer and there is no changing your mind or do overs. If I had to wait to check with a client, there is a good chance the opportunity would pass them by.

Thanks to forums such as these, the upsell department gets inundated with requests....and if you do not accept on the spot, there is a good likelihood that the offer is no longer available.

As an agent , we have no advance info on when a particular sailing will become available for upselling.

How far out can you ask for an upsell.

but maybe not so much a big box discounter.

Every seller of the cruise product gets exactly the same pricing from the cruise line. They are asked not to discount, and definitely not to advertise discounted rates.

They can offer you additional perks such as this merchant card or OBC or many other things. What ever they offer you over what you can get directly, comes directly out of their commission.

Big box stores are often willing to offer more because they have a high volume.

While not all big box agencies are this way, many are great at the upfront selling , but lack in the area of after the sale support.

Even when a individual TA offers you additional OBC or bottle of wine, it is coming directly out of their commission.

Most TA's are willing to offer incentives to try to keep the business, as getting some money for their services is better than getting none. But you must realize that they do not have the volume of the big box, who often lose money on the sale, as they realize that they make it up on another sale.

There are many rooms where the commission for the agent is only $50 or less, so expecting a large perk is unlikely unless you are a extremely good client. Big box stores offset this with the sales of suites and other higher priced and commissioned rooms.

Bottom line inquire as to how much after the sale support they offer and how good they are at it.

Both good and bad TAs can be found everywhere, in bricks and mortar offices as well as web based and big box. We have had good experience with the Big Box TAs. Their service has been as good, if not better, than other TAs I have used. The worst was actually from a bricks and mortar TA in my own hometown. IMO the big box and web TAs deal in high volume compared to your local TA and have far more experience and knowledge in general. I find the support is great. They have helped us get upsells more than once, plus additional OBC when no upsell available. Our experience is that they get NCL on the line while we are on hold. That way, the info can be instantly relayed to us for our consent, or questions, whatever.

Generally, yes, the cruise price is the same. But we've had them beat NCL's fare when they have had bought block space in advance. I don't care whether the perks are coming out of the agencies pockets or not. If they didn't still make money, they would not do it. All I am concerned with is who is going to get me the best bang for my buck, and that is usually the TA.

You are right in saying there are good and bad everywhere.

And we have had this discussion before.

I agree go to where you get your best bang for your buck and on-going support.

Just like dealing with a car salesman.....they just won't make a deal that does not make money for them.

If a TA makes or offers a deal, they are ready to stand by it. As the OP or someone said, many agents are going to fees to make their work profitable enough. How many agencies will not even touch airline reservations, as there is no money in it without charging a service fee.

Now to the person who asked about how soon can you call...well you can call anytime to upsell, that is not the point...They open up sailings as they can when they need to try to fill the ship....I have had people call a month or 6 weeks ahead of the sailing and get an offer, some do not get in until 2-3 weeks prior to sailing....But one thing for sure, if the sailing is not open yet to upselling, you will not get a offer no matter how many times you call until it is opened up. Then pretty much it is first come first served.

Agencies, no mater if they are small or large, operate a business, and management will attempt to maximize profitability. If a business model ends up selling inside GTY cabins as the bulk of their business, they will need to cut back on the perks and extras, or they will go out of business. There is just no margin in the low end priced cabins. Getting a $50 commission can hardly warrant giving away a $250 gift card. not on an ongoing basis, anyway.

Just business, do go with who give you the best deal and best service.

If we aren't satisfied with their service we won't use them again. We'll never know without trying.

I'm currently doing the same. I haven't used a TA since about 10 cruises ago, and two of the cruises I have booked are with a TA. They're giving me enough OBC for me to deal with having to contact someone on the rare occasions that I want to make a change. So far so good. If I were making the decision right now whether to book with them again, I definitely would. As you said, you don't know until you try it.

BTW, I used FCCs to book both cruises, and my TA made that a very easy process. :D