Remembering the Old ports

hipcruzr

Does any one remember the old ports the cruise lines used to visit. I started cruising in the 80's. But, I still remember some of the ports that we visited then that they do not go to any more like. Caracas, Martinique, Bonaire, There are a few others, but, I am having a memory lapse.

I visited Bonaire and Martinique on the same trip earlier this year. Carnival rarely stops at those places, but sometimes they do.

Other ports mentioned here... I've been to Grenada and Dominica, on separate cruises. I also went to St. Croix. All of them were on Carnival ships, so they go to those places at least once in a while.

Somehow I don't think they're going to stop in Caracas any time soon.

I LOVED Calica! Playa del Carmen is a wonderful Mexican beach town, and it is an easy trip over to Tulum (which is worth seeing for its beauty alone, even if you are not into Mayan ruins). We also loved Xel-Ha, and many others love going to Xcaret.

My next cruise will be stopping at Cozumel and Progresso, but I REALLY wish it was Cozumel and Calica!

Interesting topic! I love visiting new ports (and old ones too!).

I've been lucky enough to sail three cruises in the last 12 months... 2 carnival and an RCL...and managed to visit *9* new ports... after many cruises (12+?) on various eastern and western itineraries...

Carnival Journeys 11 night from Galveston - Grand Cayman, Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Martinique (new), St Maarten (been there) ending in San Juan.

RC Liberty OTS - From Galveston - Belize, Roatan (new) and Cozumel (been there).

Carnival Glory from Miami - Half Moon Key, Grand Turk (new - though I've been to Beaches AI in Turks and Caicos), St Thomas, and San Juan (been there).

Love new ports!

My first cruise in 1998... Carnival Destiny.... we stopped in St Croix... haven't been back... but would love to...

Gotta hit the southern Caribbean soon!

Cheers...

Gusman

Alcapulco and Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo. Supposed to go to Zihua on the Miracle Journeys cruise but the dock isn't up to snuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our first Carnival cruise in 2009 was the west coast Mexican Riviera, round trip from San Diego. We went to Acapulco, Ixtapa, and Manzanillo; none of those ports (including San Diego!) are used by Carnival anymore. Even the Spirit is in Australia now! I recall taking a lifeboat tender to the dock in Ixtapa. We really didn't know what we were doing on that first cruise, so I feel fortunate that we were able to experience those ports and the ship, especially since they are no longer visited.

We went to Manzanillo on the Miracle Journeys cruise. Princess ports there in the 10day MR cruises from San Francisco.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Calica Mexico...I haven't seen that one lately. We did an amazing tour on our stop in Calica in 2008 and would LOVE to go back!

We went there (Playa del Carmen/Calica) in 2011 and loved it. Haven't seen it since then. Ours was from Mobile.

It isn't. The Veendam still docks in Hamilton, leaving from Boston.

Was on it last year from Boston.....that's why we specifically selected that ship....docks right at Front Street in Hamilton.

Our first two cruises stopped at St. Croix. Crime got too high and they quit stopping there. As far as I know, they still don't stop there. They had street parties at night where the ship docked where they had vendors, stilt walkers, bands, etc.

Our last cruise stopped in st croix

My first cruise when I was in high school a long time ago on Royal Caribbean's Nordic Prince was a 14 day and besides San Juan, St Thomas, Aruba, and Curacao we stopped in Guadaloupe, Caracas, Port Antonio Jamaica and Port Au Prince Haiti, before all the unrest. Quite the itinerary and very different than today's itineraries.