Getaway Rio Charter

chloe kitty

We are booked on the Getaway cruising from Rio to Miami. That is at the end of the Olympics. We were told the cruise will be like any cruise on NCL. We just have not received a reservation no. as yet so cannot register on NCL site like we normally do. Our travelagent said they would send out the actual reservation no. in due course. We are travelling from South Africa and boarding the ship in Rio. Wow ! Because of the Olympics, accommodation in Rio comes at quite a premium ! Booked in The Haven. My mother is booked in a regular balcony. Will she be allowed to enter The Haven as our guest ?

We are booked on the Getaway cruising from Rio to Miami. That is at the end of the Olympics. We were told the cruise will be like any cruise on NCL. We just have not received a reservation no. as yet so cannot register on NCL site like we normally do. Our travelagent said they would send out the actual reservation no. in due course. We are travelling from South Africa and boarding the ship in Rio. Wow ! Because of the Olympics, accommodation in Rio comes at quite a premium ! Booked in The Haven. My mother is booked in a regular balcony. Will she be allowed to enter The Haven as our guest ?

She will be able to visit you in your room. She will not be able utilize the Haven itself nor will she be able to dine with you. In the past a Haven guest is allowed to book one or two meal for a guest for $25 per meal, not sure if that is still the case.

She will be able to visit you in your room. She will not be able utilize the Haven itself nor will she be able to dine with you. In the past a Haven guest is allowed to book one or two meal for a guest for $25 per meal, not sure if that is still the case.

We were recently in the Haven on the Getaway. We were told that the only person who can eat in the Haven who had not paid to be in the Haven, was the Captain, and only on port days.

To be clear, we were asking if our son could eat with us in the Haven and he is a cast member in one of the shows on the Getaway. So I am still not sure if they said that because he was a cast/crew member or if the same rule applies to paying guests outside the Haven as well. You might ask the concierge when you get on board and see what they say.

(The reason I am not sure who that rule applies to is because the concierge first said it would cost $35 for him to eat in there, then she stopped herself and said she would have to check. The answer came back as noted above.)

Edited by Seminole1975
add a word

Hey all.. is this the official Roll Call haha! We are booked on the charter to Rio next SUNDAY!!!! Woohooo... soo excited! We booked last week and got our reservation from NCL even before our travel company got it lol... Im hearing a ton of mixed things. I was told by NCL that the charter has elected to include alcohol in this trip. Then I was told by another NCL rep that it's not.... and someone else said that you can purchase the drink package on the ship - but yet NCLs page says not included on charters. I feel like I need a welcome packet in a little ship shaped folio with a lot of information handed to me! Haha... we are also in the Haven.

Anyone staying in Rio for a few days? Prices really aren't that bad - airbnb has run the gamete. I also found a regular bnb not far from the beach that is reasonable. We won't be staying long since this was sooo last second for us.

Cheers...

Hello fellow cruisers, we are also booked on the MIA-RIO charter sailing July 24

This is our first time cruising with NCL Getaway(we usually cruise on Disney , however we couldn't pass up on this great offer.

Can anyone tell me what to expect or if you have every done.a charter before. Are they pretty much same as a regular cruise -- any info you have would be greatly appreciated. We are staying in a mini- suite --on the 14th deck -- never been that high up before will we be feeling the ships movement up there (18 decks -wow)

Also arrival in Rio does anyone have any idea as far as place to stay - we are airline staff but this is the first time to Rio-- familiar with at all.

Hope to get a chance to meet y'all on board.

Can't wait just a couple more days to go

Cyndi

Hello fellow cruisers, we are also booked on the MIA-RIO charter sailing July 24

This is our first time cruising with NCL Getaway(we usually cruise on Disney , however we couldn't pass up on this great offer.

Can anyone tell me what to expect or if you have every done.a charter before. Are they pretty much same as a regular cruise -- any info you have would be greatly appreciated. We are staying in a mini- suite --on the 14th deck -- never been that high up before will we be feeling the ships movement up there (18 decks -wow)

Also arrival in Rio does anyone have any idea as far as place to stay - we are airline staff but this is the first time to Rio-- familiar with at all.

Hope to get a chance to meet y'all on board.

Can't wait just a couple more days to go

Cyndi

You need to go to the actual roll call for the charter discussion. Go to Roll Call, NCL, Getaway and look for the thread on this charter.

Well I hope everyone has a good time. There are about 700 people on the ship not counting the crew. Who ever chartered the ship decided that the crew/cast members that are left could not come out of their area for the entire 10 days (except of course when they are working)! They are not allowed in the passenger areas at all. They are stuck. It is going to be like a ghost ship. I hope the rule is changed for the crew's/cast members sake! They are still very excited to be going to Rio tho regardless!

Edited by Seminole1975
add phrases

Well I hope everyone has a good time. There are about 700 people on the ship not counting the crew. Who ever chartered the ship decided that the crew/cast members that are left could not come out of their area for the entire 10 days (except of course when they are working)! They are not allowed in the passenger areas at all. They are stuck. It is going to be like a ghost ship. I hope the rule is changed for the crew's/cast members sake! They are still very excited to be going to Rio tho regardless!

My daughter also works on the ship, it should be an interesting 10 days. I don't think it will change, but many of the crew members aren't allowed in passengers area anyways. For the ones who can go into passenger areas(both our kids), this will be a huge change. What an amazing experience for our kids.

We were recently in the Haven on the Getaway. We were told that the only person who can eat in the Haven who had not paid to be in the Haven, was the Captain, and only on port days.

To be clear, we were asking if our son could eat with us in the Haven and he is a cast member in one of the shows on the Getaway. So I am still not sure if they said that because he was a cast/crew member or if the same rule applies to paying guests outside the Haven as well. You might ask the concierge when you get on board and see what they say.

(The reason I am not sure who that rule applies to is because the concierge first said it would cost $35 for him to eat in there, then she stopped herself and said she would have to check. The answer came back as noted above.)

We were in the Haven on the Escape, and a solo cabin for my oldest daughter, she was able to est with us for a fee. On a smaller ship when we were in a Suite but not a Haven, our daughter a crew member working during our cruise, was able to get permission to eat with us at any meal. With crew members it is a case by case situation.

We were in the Haven on the Escape, and a solo cabin for my oldest daughter, she was able to est with us for a fee. On a smaller ship when we were in a Suite but not a Haven, our daughter a crew member working during our cruise, was able to get permission to eat with us at any meal. With crew members it is a case by case situation.

Our cast member (crew) son was able to eat with us anywhere but the Haven. He had to get written permission to visit our room.

My daughter also works on the ship, it should be an interesting 10 days. I don't think it will change, but many of the crew members aren't allowed in passengers area anyways. For the ones who can go into passenger areas(both our kids), this will be a huge change. What an amazing experience for our kids.

I do not understand tho, why if there are only 700 passengers on the ship, 500 from the Charter, why they would make the cast/crew stay in their area? Especially for 10 days! It's not like the charter company could fill up the ship!

I did see some Facebook pics from a pretty cool looking crew party! They did not look too unhappy!:)

I am booked on the return trip from Rio to Miami and was wondering how the first trip is going. I understand that the ship is not full, but how is everything else? Also I have have been having trouble finding out exactly what is included in the fare.....drinks?....internet?....meal upgrades?

We are also booked on Getaway from Rio to Miami. We booked in the Haven and my mother in a balcony. We have since been offered a portion of our fare as a refund or onboard credit and my mother was upgraded to a Mini Suite. We are still waiting for the refund to be processed. We enquired about Mom entering the Haven and dining with us and travel agent write back to say she could dine in The Haven for free ! We are also anxious to hear how the current cruise from Miami us going. Wondering how full the trip out of Rio is going to be. We are travelling from South Africa to do this cruise.

We are also booked in the Haven. My understanding is that there are currently around 300 passengers booked for the trip. I am trying to find out how additional services are being handled......internet......dining upgrades.....drinks. Look forward to meeting you on the trip.

What teams from the US will be utilizing the Getaway? I think the mens basketball team has chartered Silver Sea.

No US teams as far as I know. The Getaway was chartered by the Olympic Organizing Committee to be used by Olympic officials their guests and families, not for athletes.

The US men's and women's teams are on the Silver Cloud.

No US teams as far as I know. The Getaway was chartered by the Olympic Organizing Committee to be used by Olympic officials their guests and families, not for athletes.

The US men's and women's teams are on the Silver Cloud.

Thanl you. Is that part of he Silver Sea family? Nice lol

The company Landry and Kling arranged for the Getaway to be chartered. They have been working on this for some years.

If anyone is interested Joyce Landry is doing a blog from the Getaway. Look at their website. There are some really cool pictures including the ship coming into the harbor.