anyone? Ramada Miami Springs/Miami International Airport

kayjay76

Hi all,

has anyone stayed here the night before their cruise leaving from port of Miami?

Ramada Miami Springs/Miami International Airport

5001 Northwest 36th Street, Miami Springs, FL

If so, do they offer shuttle service to the port? any details on this would be great (cost or free, times they run in the am etc.) And any thoughts on the hotel would be great ty!!!

I do not recall seeing this hotel suggested on this board. :confused:

What does the hotel web site say about shuttles, etc.? :confused:

Often suggested budget hotels near MIA that include a shuttle to POM include La Quinta East and Springhill Suites Medical Center.

Better hotels, in a much nicer area near MIA, that may offer cruise packages with port shuttles are found in the Blue Lagoon neighborhood - Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, etc. If a port shuttle is not included a cab to POM will run about $27-30 on the meter.

Hi all,

has anyone stayed here the night before their cruise leaving from port of Miami?

If so, do they offer shuttle service to the port? any details on this would be great (cost or free, times they run in the am etc.) And any thoughts on the hotel would be great ty!!!

Do you carry a weapon?

No, just no about staying in Miami Springs.

No.

Do you carry a weapon?

No.

Is this personal experience ? How are you coming to this conclusion, because I am staying there post cruise before flying out the next day, and I'd like to check it out before canceling my reservation. I'm traveling solo and really don't care to spend $250 ++++ for a room. It had a restaurant on premises and an airport shuttle and the cost is $114. Where can I go and get food, shuttle and under $150 ??

They do have a shuttle to the port that costs $10 through another company.

Kristine

The neighborhood is not walkable. If you want to just sit in a hotel that has questionable reviews...no one can stop you. But being stuck for 24 hours ? Looking for cheap in Miami, is a recipe for disaster.

What date are you looking at? Perhaps we can help.

Edited by eandj

The neighborhood is not walkable. If you want to just sit in a hotel that has questionable reviews...no one can stop you. But being stuck for 24 hours ? Looking for cheap in Miami, is a recipe for disaster.

What date are you looking at? Perhaps we can help.

Thanks for your honesty. My husband is P.O.'d that I'm being sketchy with my safety because I'm paying for the hotel (and the whole trip, actually) out of my SS check, which is quite meager. He has insisted on a better hotel, but I still insist on paying for it myself. I could REALLY use some advice on accommodations because he will be checking on people's responses to my questions. I get off the Getaway February 12, 2017 and fly back to MN at 1pm the next day, so I figure as long as there's food in, or next to, the hotel plus a pool and a ride to the airport, then I'm happy.

There's several hotels I'm wondering about, but I'm not sure if it's proper forum etiquette to continue.

What about Doral Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn Express at Intermodal/airport, Element, Embassy Suites airport, Staybridge Doral, Homewood Suites Airport West, or the Fairfield Airport South ? Do any of these stand out as safer neighborhoods ?

I know they're all close to the airport but I travel with ear plugs on cruises so I can nap in a lounge chair during the day. I plan on staying up really, really late and I'm so used to being up at 5 or 6am that I know I'll need a nap, LOL.

warn regards,

Kristine

The Embassy Suites MIA is very isolated - nowhere to walk, so you are stuck with the hotel restaurant (not a good way to save $$). I am not familiar with the other hotels on your list.

Check out hotels in the Blue Lagoon area near the MIA airport - Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, etc. There is a local strip mall (across the street from the Hampton, 5-10 min walk from others) with grocery, drug & liquor stores, plus fast food and dining options.

Doral is west of the MIA airport - away from downtown and the port. I played golf there a log time ago and recall that things were very spread out.

Thanks for your honesty. My husband is P.O.'d that I'm being sketchy with my safety because I'm paying for the hotel (and the whole trip, actually) out of my SS check, which is quite meager. He has insisted on a better hotel, but I still insist on paying for it myself. I could REALLY use some advice on accommodations because he will be checking on people's responses to my questions. I get off the Getaway February 12, 2017 and fly back to MN at 1pm the next day, so I figure as long as there's food in, or next to, the hotel plus a pool and a ride to the airport, then I'm happy.

There's several hotels I'm wondering about, but I'm not sure if it's proper forum etiquette to continue.

What about Doral Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn Express at Intermodal/airport, Element, Embassy Suites airport, Staybridge Doral, Homewood Suites Airport West, or the Fairfield Airport South ? Do any of these stand out as safer neighborhoods ?

I know they're all close to the airport but I travel with ear plugs on cruises so I can nap in a lounge chair during the day. I plan on staying up really, really late and I'm so used to being up at 5 or 6am that I know I'll need a nap, LOL.

warn regards,

Kristine

Check out Courtyard Miami Airport Hotel. It is on a campus with 3 Marriott hotels in a safer area south of the airport. There is an on-site restaurant, swimming pool with patio and free shuttle to the airport. I just checked prices for February 12, 2017 and saw AAA rate of $159.00; Senior rate of $169.00;and Regular Rate of $199.00. This hotel is also much closer to the port than any of the Doral area hotels which are west of the airport, so cab fare from the port to the hotel would be cheaper. Check with the hotel about availability and cost of a shuttle from the cruise port to the hotel. Reviews on Trip Advisor were very good. I think that this is a great price for a safe Miami hotel during the busy winter season.

Edited by marys350

Check out Courtyard Miami Airport Hotel. It is on a campus with 3 Marriott hotels in a safer area south of the airport. There is an on-site restaurant, swimming pool with patio and free shuttle to the airport. I just checked prices for February 12, 2017 and saw AAA rate of $159.00; Senior rate of $169.00;and Regular Rate of $199.00. This hotel is also much closer to the port than any of the Doral area hotels which are west of the airport, so cab fare from the port to the hotel would be cheaper. Check with the hotel about availability and cost of a shuttle from the cruise port to the hotel. Reviews on Trip Advisor were very good. I think that this is a great price for a safe Miami hotel during the busy winter season.

I just booked with Courtyard and I'm thrilled with the price ! Thanks so much, the pool looks wonderful and the restaurant menus look good too, although after a cruise, bread and water is probably the smart move, LOL.

I like the idea of seeing if they have a shuttle pass i can purchase to get me to the hotel and will call them right now ; )

They have shuttle passes TO PoM but they don't return to the hotel so back to the departure forum !!

warm regards,

Kristine

Edited by alexmom
added infomation

I just booked with Courtyard and I'm thrilled with the price ! Thanks so much, the pool looks wonderful and the restaurant menus look good too, although after a cruise, bread and water is probably the smart move, LOL.

I like the idea of seeing if they have a shuttle pass i can purchase to get me to the hotel and will call them right now ; )

They have shuttle passes TO PoM but they don't return to the hotel so back to the departure forum !!

warm regards,

Kristine

Hi Kristine, glad you rebooked.

Do I have any experience with Miami Springs?

As little as possible. It is a dangerous area. No you can't walk around there.

In Miami a cheap motel can put your personal safety in jeopardy.

Hi Kristine, glad you rebooked.

Do I have any experience with Miami Springs?

As little as possible. It is a dangerous area. No you can't walk around there.

In Miami a cheap motel can put your personal safety in jeopardy.

The Courtyard is more like what I'm used to staying in when traveling with my family and with 3 hotels and 2 pools, I won't be bored. I know how early it gets dark in February and didn't want to get mugged in the pool at Miami Springs !

I'm still doing the Miami Freehand before the cruise, to cross 'staying at a hostel' off my "bucket list" ! I don't have a clue what kind of neighborhood it's in. All I know is that it's 1-2 blocks from the ocean and I fly into MIA at noon, so I'll have plenty of daylight to explore it.

Thanks for the warning, my son and husband don't mind letting me roam on my own but they want me back in one piece !!

Kristine

I'm still doing the Miami Freehand before the cruise, to cross 'staying at a hostel' off my "bucket list" ! I don't have a clue what kind of neighborhood it's in. All I know is that it's 1-2 blocks from the ocean and I fly into MIA at noon, so I'll have plenty of daylight to explore it.

Kristine

Please don't use Miami Beach as a place to cross 'staying at a hostel' off your bucket list.

Miami Beach can be a very dangerous place ESPECIALLY when you do not know your surroundings.

This is really not the smartest.

Miami Beach has had to add 12 police positions to its force because of all the crime happening. They haven't opened the academy to these officers yet meaning these officers are not on patrol yet.

Edited by BlueHerons

Please don't use Miami Beach as a place to cross 'staying at a hostel' off your bucket list.

Miami Beach can be a very dangerous place ESPECIALLY when you do not know your surroundings.

Miami Beach has had to add 12 police positions to its force because of all the crime happening. They haven't opened the academy to these officers yet meaning these officers are not on patrol yet.

Thank you for your warning but I will not be leaving the hostel at night. There are several high end hotels within a 3 block radius, I doubt the hostel is located in a gangbanger ghetto. I have sufficient street smarts and situational awareness to sense and see danger in broad daylight. I'm 63 but not frail and I know not to wear flashy, expensive jewelry. I live in the Twin Cities, which can also be a pesthole of crime in certain areas. This is the world we now live in.

I thank you sincerely for your warnings and I am so happy I'm not staying in Miami Springs, but I will keep my reservation at the Freehand.

warm regards,

Kristine

Thank you for your warning but I will not be leaving the hostel at night. There are several high end hotels within a 3 block radius, I doubt the hostel is located in a gangbanger ghetto. I have sufficient street smarts and situational awareness to sense and see danger in broad daylight. I'm 63 but not frail and I know not to wear flashy, expensive jewelry. I live in the Twin Cities, which can also be a pesthole of crime in certain areas. This is the world we now live in.

I thank you sincerely for your warnings and I am so happy I'm not staying in Miami Springs, but I will keep my reservation at the Freehand.

warm regards,

Kristine

I didn't say anything about Miami Beach being a gangbanger ghetto. The fact is that there is a problem of crime against tourists in Miami Beach. These criminals certainly don't live in Miami Beach.

But hey, you know better.

Wish I had seen this thread before you rebooked.

That Ramada is a nice hotel. Remodeled a couple of years ago and the rooms are quite nice.

The bar/restaurant on site is a terrific neighborhood spot. I've never felt unsafe there at any hour.

There is a lot of crime along 36th Street. Unfortunately, criminals target tourists. Our local paper lists the crimes reported each week, and virtually all of the crime in our small town is in the parking lots of the hotels and restaurants along 36th Street. I can't recall any reports of personal attacks, it's all unattended vehicles and occasionally an empty hotel room.

Sorry if my tone seems sharp. I don't mean to offend, but have to speak up for my beloved home town.

Do you carry a weapon?

No.

We've stayed at hotels in Miami Springs twice. No problems. We even...gasp....walked a couple of blocks to a restaurant for supper. It was not a big deal. We didn't feel nervous at all.

That Ramada is a nice hotel. Remodeled a couple of years ago and the rooms are quite nice.

The bar/restaurant on site is a terrific neighborhood spot. I've never felt unsafe there at any hour.

There is a lot of crime along 36th Street. Unfortunately, criminals target tourists. Our local paper lists the crimes reported each week, and virtually all of the crime in our small town is in the parking lots of the hotels and restaurants along 36th Street. I can't recall any reports of personal attacks, it's all unattended vehicles and occasionally an empty hotel room.

Sorry if my tone seems sharp. I don't mean to offend, but have to speak up for my beloved home town.

I feel I got a good deal on the Courtyard and it makes my husband happy so it's all good. I certainly didn't mean to offend BlueHeron either ! I just feel that I'm in Miami less than 2 blocks from the ocean so I'm going to walk, or sign out a bike from the Freehand, and see it. It's broad daylight, for pete's sake !! If I can't walk 2 blocks in Miami at noon, then maybe we need to take back this country. Hell will freeze over before I role over for the criminal element. I won't provoke with stupid, reckless behavior but I'm not cowering in my room either.

We've stayed at hotels in Miami Springs twice. No problems. We even...gasp....walked a couple of blocks to a restaurant for supper. It was not a big deal. We didn't feel nervous at all.

Just because you feel safe doesn't mean you are.

I feel I got a good deal on the Courtyard and it makes my husband happy so it's all good. I certainly didn't mean to offend BlueHeron either ! I just feel that I'm in Miami less than 2 blocks from the ocean so I'm going to walk, or sign out a bike from the Freehand, and see it. It's broad daylight, for pete's sake !! If I can't walk 2 blocks in Miami at noon, then maybe we need to take back this country. Hell will freeze over before I role over for the criminal element. I won't provoke with stupid, reckless behavior but I'm not cowering in my room either.

alexmom, you certainly did not offend me but this is the deal, Miami IS a foreign country. It is not like anywhere else in the US and English is certainly not the dominent language.

The people who run Miami are not American born citizens, it is a corrupt city. Miami is the only city in the US that the feds actually took over.

The majority of people that live in Miami do not speak English as a first language.

Understand this, Miami (including Miami Beach) are not US cities. There are a large amount of illegal aliens that have no way of making an income.

Guess how they do it?

Yes, tourists are robbed, violated, hurt in broad daylight.

You've been warned.

I'm sorry Sandy but if you live in Miami Springs you know what the crime is like there. This is disingenuous to posters who know nothing about South Florida.

Sandy – Thank you for the information.

It is really a shame that a person that has a lot of valuable information to offer waste their time bad-mouthing those they do not agree with.

Are you familiar with the Tri-Rail station at Hialeah Market? Looking at the map, can we take SE 14th St. to SE 9th Ct. and turn right toward the underpass? Looking at a street view, it appears that either someone made a make-shift curb cutout at the off-ramp to cross over to the sidewalk (street) going under the highway ending up on NW 36th St. Since we both require the use of mobility scooters, the curb cutout is an important factor. I anticipate that off-ramp could be rather busy and I would rather not attempt to manually get the scooters up and down. Once we get on SW 36th St., I do not foresee any problems.

We will take the bus to POM in the morning. Both Miami-Dade and Broward Co. have excellent bus systems.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

At least The Broken Shaker is at the Freehand!! Love it there!

At least The Broken Shaker is at the Freehand!! Love it there!

We found the place driving back from Miami a couple of months ago! We love to make the drive over the MacArthur Causeway up A1A to FLL. Beautiful drive.

Love the courtyard, gorgeous!

• 5 months later...
Hi all,

Yes. We stayed there 27 Nov 2016. Other than the ferocious traffic on 36th St out front, it was ok. The staff were friendly and accommodating and the room was clean and quiet. We needed to drive about a mile north to find a corner drugstore (Walgreens I think) and then walked over to a delightful little Cuban restaurant (no English spoken) for a light supper. Very friendly and our few words of Spanish along with the waitress's few words of English did the trick. Our walking experience in this neighborhood was no worse than any other large city urban area and much better than a recent stay in Seattle (spooky). We were able to leave our car during the cruise for a nominal fee (I think it was $6/night). The most dangerous part of the stay IMHO was pulling out of the parking lot onto 36th St.

My one beef with the stay was the shuttle service. The hotel uses 'system shuttle miami' (systemshuttle.com) for their shuttle service. It was $10pp one way. The trip TO the ship was uneventful but the return was another story. After a half hour of trying to reach someone at the pickup number we gave up and took a taxi. The guy at the system shuttle desk back at the hotel was totally unconcerned and pretty much ignored us as we complained.

If you stay here, my suggestion is to make other arrangements for transportation to and from the cruise terminal.

Oh, and NO we were not 'packing heat' (armed) at any time! :-)

Yes. We stayed there 27 Nov 2016. Other than the ferocious traffic on 36th St out front, it was ok. The staff were friendly and accommodating and the room was clean and quiet. We needed to drive about a mile north to find a corner drugstore (Walgreens I think) and then walked over to a delightful little Cuban restaurant (no English spoken) for a light supper. Very friendly and our few words of Spanish along with the waitress's few words of English did the trick. Our walking experience in this neighborhood was no worse than any other large city urban area and much better than a recent stay in Seattle (spooky). We were able to leave our car during the cruise for a nominal fee (I think it was $6/night). The most dangerous part of the stay IMHO was pulling out of the parking lot onto 36th St.

My one beef with the stay was the shuttle service. The hotel uses 'system shuttle miami' (systemshuttle.com) for their shuttle service. It was $10pp one way. The trip TO the ship was uneventful but the return was another story. After a half hour of trying to reach someone at the pickup number we gave up and took a taxi. The guy at the system shuttle desk back at the hotel was totally unconcerned and pretty much ignored us as we complained.

If you stay here, my suggestion is to make other arrangements for transportation to and from the cruise terminal.

Oh, and NO we were not 'packing heat' (armed) at any time! :-)

Great review and advice, ty!!! We will be staying here in 4 weeks for our cruise.

I was thinking same thing about the shuttle service and just going with a cab. Do you remember how much the cab ride was back to the airport?

Thanks again!!