Sleeping with balcony door open

stoneharborlady

I read somewhere on these boards about a couple coming back to their cabin, and the door that separates their balcony from the one next door was open. Does no one worry about that when sleeping with their sliding glass door open? Obviously someone unlocked that door for the people in that next cabin.

Caribbean Princess July 3 2004

I don't book balconys, but if I had one, I would always leave the door open to hear the waves. I wouldn't be afraid at all!! I would say, they need to be afraid. It wouldn't be pretty. icon_biggrin.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Always lock the balcony door whenever I leave the cabin! It's surprising to hear that the divider was unlocked...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;5;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

June 5th - Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

November 22nd - Sun Princess Eastern Caribbean

That might have been me that said that. We didn't sleep with our balcony door open. We tried one night and the room felt damp and had a bit of a musty smell the next morning. However, on the last day of our cruise, I think the room steward must have been removing the extra deck loungers from the balconies on the back of the ship and the divider between our balcony and the next was left open. It's not a standard knob or lock that opens them, so I don't think that just anyone can unlock them. We asked the room steward later in the day and she relocked it for us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ginza17:

The door seperating the balconies can only be opened by the staff and only with both cabins request

Pete...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I have a cousin Pete on Staten Island. Your last name would not be Lane would it?

Caribbean Princess July 3 2004

I like to leave the door open, but find the room gets too warm and humid. I was told the air conditioner shuts off when you open the door. Is that true?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

on Caribbean Princess June 5, 2004

Larry

The staff may unlock the door between rooms to clean or move chairs. They are suppose to lock it behind them. Some staff member must have forgot. If you want it locked just call the front desk and it will be done. But like the poster above, they are normally opened if both parties agree (kids in one mom and dad in the other ect).

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

This will be our first cruise on Princess (Grand).

Any problem we should know about with keeping the balcony door open? Will it stay open all night or close on it's own?

On other cruises, we've never had a problem with the door staying open all night.

Thanks.

We always sleep with the balcony door open and no, the air conditioner does not shut off. We always try to adjust it so that we conserve the use of it though. We have never found it to be warn and humid, but maybe we have just been lucky. On the Grand, as on most of the newer Princess ships, the door is a slider so it will stay open on it's own. And no, we have never worried about safety - no one has ever climbed over our balcony and sneeked in at night. icon_wink.gif

Crown '93,Star '94, Regal '95,

Sun '96, Crown '97, Dawn '98,

Dawn '99, Sun 2000, Dawn '01,

Grand '02, Coral '03,Star 6/28/03, Sun 3/10/04, Star 02/27/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2005;2;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Star Princess Sailing

All

I've had a number of experiences aboard a variety of cruise ships concerning the impact of people leaving balcony doors open. In addition to potential security issues already described by some of you, leaving the balcony door open destabilizes the climate control not only in your own cabin, but also in the cabins around you, and in some instances, the hallway. There have been numerous times when our air conditioning did not seem to be able to cool down our cabin. When we contact engineering, they always dispatch members of the staff to check out the system. Without exceptions, and after multiple visits, they've advised us that this is the effect of someone's balcony door being left open in a nearby cabin (all have said that it creates some sort of vacuum and sucks out all the AC from surrounding spaces.) I guess we've all experienced this when opening the doors to the outdoor public spaces (promenade etc), and you feel the air rushing out. Some ships (like the Grandeur of the Seas where we just had a two bedroom/two bath suite with huge balcony at the rear of the ship) have contacts in the door frames which activate/deactivate the cabins AC system depending on whether the door is open or closed.

Have you ever noticed the signs on the balcony doors advising to keep closed?? (this is a favorite line of the engineering staff).

Believe it or not, this is the case whether your cabin has an interior connecting door with the adjacent cabin or not (although it is worse if it does).

We just had a terrific suite aboard the Summit (cabin 6146) and it shared an interior door with the Penthouse Suite. Once again, we had neighbors who enjoyed the sound of the waves and kept the door open the entire time, and it kept our cabin very warm and humid. Went through the drill with engineering, only to get the same answer again. I ended up using towels to cover the underside of the door, and this helped a little.

All this to say, I certainly understand the appeal of sleeping with the sound of the waves, but please be mindful of the impact this has on your fellow passengers.

Enjoy cruising!!!

Grand Princess- Baltic 5/29/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;29;21;00;00&timezone=GMT+0200

Grand Princess - Transatlantic 8/27/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;8;27;21;00;00&timezone=GMT+0200

Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean 11/21/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Mercury - Mexican Riviera 12/27/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Coral Princess- 10-day Caribbean 3/18/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;3;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Radiance of the Seas - Alaska 05/28/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;05;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean 10/15/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;15;21;00;00&timezone=GMT+0200

I love the sea, but - personaly - for the HUMIDITY etc, and the line's "FORMAL" request (check the book) that you keep them shut... and environmentally - the ship's burning fossil fuel keeping the door open the same way you are at home,,,,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I read somewhere on these boards about a couple coming back to their cabin, and the door that separates their balcony from the one next door was open. Does no one worry about that when sleeping with their sliding glass door open? Obviously someone unlocked that door for the people in that next cabin.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beware!! It is not a special lock. A item in the DW sewing kit opened ours. We had the fore most cabin with nothing next to us and we opened it in 2 seconds, just to see if we could. We always lock our balcony door when we are out or sleeping.

Steve

Ps A relaxing thing to do is grab a plate of snacks from the buffet and take it to your balcony to do some star grazing icon_biggrin.gif

Golden 2/04

Grand 11/03

The three most exciting sounds in the world: Anchor chains, plane motors, and train whistles....George Bailey

Archived