Just off OASIS - A Few Notes.

Just a few comments since this was my first time on the Oasis, although I have been on Allure. Perspective: RC loyalist, D+, traveling with family group.

I'll summarize upfront - We had a fabulous trip, with a few family members saying this is by far their favorite class of ship. There were a few bumps, but only one that was actually worth following up on.

Pre-cruise we stayed at the Riverside Hotel because I've always wanted to try it. We did book rooms in the newer tower for a good rate that included breakfast. The pool was way too warm, but to be fair was insanely HOT out. We did order food at the pool which was absolutely delicious. I'd definitely stay here again as they were VERY accommodating to us and agreed to hold our bags after our cruise for a few hours since we had an unfortunately late afternoon flight.

Yes, I know about Luggage Valet, but missed the deadline. I read the "Wednesday" part, but missed the "by NOON" part. Oh, well, this ended up being cheaper anyway.

Elevators were exactly what they always are. My strategy is to just get in, no matter which way it's going during those ridiculously crowded times. There will always be rude people who insist on cramming in no matter what, but there are also those rides where people are friendly and chatting with each other and who try to make room for others.

We had aft BB cabins, as we did on Allure. Still love these cabins for the unique view but at a better price than the OV balconies on this ship. I probably wouldn't book one if I was too far in, but we were at the end and loved it. Yes, it can be noisy during the evening hours when the Aqua show is happening, but it never bothers us.

Our stateroom attendant was wonderful and efficient. Very friendly guy, always smiling. I always tip a bit at the first meeting and ask for ice daily.

This brings me to one of the bumps. My son's room next to ours had a leak, from the bathroom to about halfway to their bed saturating their carpet. The smell was overwhelming and was there when they first entered the cabin. They put some towels down and the water was yellow (blech!). Our attendant was diligent and called maintenance, and ultimately his supervisor, but despite attempted repairs and the big blower running in their room almost constantly, it continued to leak, and SMELL. The smell was terrible, and I could not have slept in there, despite the sprays they kept trying. Finally on Day 4, they replaced the carpet while we were off the ship.

I get that things happen and we are definitely not complainers, but I did feel that my son and his fiancèe (this trip was partly to celebrate their engagement), deserved something for their 4 out of 7 days of inconvenience. Without going into too much detail, they ended up getting a bottle of champagne with a note saying "Happy Anniversary." :rolleyes:

I'll skip the rest of the details, but it was an annoyance and disappointing, but it certainly did NOT ruin our overall cruise.

The guys in our group did order tuxes for formal night. Dressier than we usually do, but people wanted to celebrate and get some good family pictures. One tux was missing (my fault, not theirs), but the woman who does the tailoring was wonderful and came right up to our rooms to do the measurements and had the tux in the room in about an hour. Very efficient and friendly!

I got the same impression from the Oasis that I did on the Allure regarding the less crowded feel - generally. There were times during the sales when the Promenade was jammed, and the Windjammer seemed perennially overcrowded - but for the most part, we had few crowding issues. We were even able to get chairs by the pool! :eek::D

I had booked reservations ahead of time, but not early enough apparently as we weren't able to book a single one of the comedy shows. They really should have a little larger venue for that since it's so popular. We did not see Cats because there really is only one option for late dinner people and it's during the last sea day. That was a hard NO from everyone.

The aqua show was very impressive and entertaining, as was the ice show.

We stuck to MDR dining every night. I was surprised at how it was only about half full. I don't think I've ever experienced that before. Food was good to excellent with only a couple of disappointments. I think they were really looking for feedback on some of the new dishes because we were asked quite a bit how we liked our entrees. Multiple entrees and appetizers were the norm for our table. Extra desserts were brought out at the end as well for us to try. Our servers were some of the best I've ever had.

Maybe I'm just over it, but 3 nights of the servers having to sing and dance is a bit too much for me. One night of recognition and maybe even a song would be plenty.

I found the ship in very good condition. There were some signs of wear in our cabin, like the insides of the drawers being seriously scraped up and the safe battery cover being taped on and constantly falling off, but certainly nothing major.

I did have the 4 device Voom - the lower one, not the surf and stream. I have to say, I was impressed. No connection issues at all, however videos did come in spurts. Overall, a huge improvement over the previous incarnation.

The people in our party who did not take advantage of the 30% off pre-cruise sale regretted their decisions. It took just a few bar purchases to convince them to get the package onboard, only now with no discount. They did start selling the 10 drink card on day 4 or 5.

I did some take-out Sabor guacamole and found it fine, but we didn't end up eating a meal there.

Being with so many family members who weren't able to enter the Diamond lounge meant I didn't spend a lot of time there. I did take advantage of the wonderful espresso machine a few times a day though.

Excursions - We did a last minute, sorta, snorkeling trip in Nassau because we really just wanted to get off the ship and do something. Being in port from 7am-2pm is just DUMB - there, I said it. :p

In St. Thomas, we chartered the Yacht Nightwind for just our group and it was truly a slice of heaven. Highly recommended.

In St. Kitts we just wanted an easy beach/pool day so we did Marriott daypasses. We all felt it was well worth the $35 bucks.

Britto store - Closed, permanently, I believe.

Tiffany store - Had a Grand Opening that we decided to attend. We waited in line since they were only letting a limited number of people in at a time. I was curious if they'd have an exclusive RC charm. They actually had nothing different than you'd find in any other Tiffany store.

So this is more than I thought I'd post! I actually killed my phone in Nassau when I forgot it was in my suit when I went snorkeling. So these "notes" are just off the top of my head.

IMG_0270.jpg.66446e6ccdf158d21053899ed9cc618a.jpg

Edited by renech
punctuation check

I do not think I have ever read about Guacamole take out before now. It was take out, not room service, right? Did it seem fresh? Guessing it was served w/chips. Cost? I am a BIG guacamole lover but do not want to pay for three others that could take/leave Mexican food.

Thanks for your post and ewwwwww, the bottle would NOT have made it "right" for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by BLAMBKY

OP, thank you so much for your review. We're doing the same itinerary on Oasis next month and also doing the Marriott day pass. I also agree with the port times comment for Nassau! We're going to try to squeeze in the Melia day pass and I'll be rushing to get off the ship early enough to spend enough time there-no fun rushing like that on vacation.

Thank you so much for mentioning the overkill on waiter-song-and-dance routine! I was on Adventure last month and couldn't believe it was 3 nights of that. So annoying and seems so contrived to me, like look how great we are.

Then we had to listen to the speech about the survey and which question numbers are the most important and what I should rate them to avoid them getting penalized. Oh, and I was also advised to fill out the survey as early as possible, like at the airport on the way home, because early ratings do better for them somehow.

I have to say all this prodding actually caused me to not give an extra tip on the last night. I had done the auto-tips and they deserve the tips because they do work very hard. But after 3 nights of having to stop my dinner conversation for the speeches/songs and then the survey lecture, I had enough. I'm considering other venues than MDR for next month.

I do not think I have ever read about Guacamole take out before now. It was take out, not room service, right? Did it seem fresh? Guessing it was served w/chips. Cost? I am a BIG guacamole lover but do not want to pay for three others that could take/leave Mexican food.

Thanks for your post and ewwwwww, the bottle would NOT have made it "right" for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it was take-out and they made it fresh. I asked for 3 orders, and it does take a while, so allow some time. I believe it was $6 per order.

OP, thank you so much for your review. We're doing the same itinerary on Oasis next month and also doing the Marriott day pass. I also agree with the port times comment for Nassau! We're going to try to squeeze in the Melia day pass and I'll be rushing to get off the ship early enough to spend enough time there-no fun rushing like that on vacation.

We really liked the Marriott, more than Melia. Of course my one day at Melia was very rainy.

Thank you so much for mentioning the overkill on waiter-song-and-dance routine! I was on Adventure last month and couldn't believe it was 3 nights of that. So annoying and seems so contrived to me, like look how great we are.

Then we had to listen to the speech about the survey and which question numbers are the most important and what I should rate them to avoid them getting penalized. Oh, and I was also advised to fill out the survey as early as possible, like at the airport on the way home, because early ratings do better for them somehow.

I have to say all this prodding actually caused me to not give an extra tip on the last night. I had done the auto-tips and they deserve the tips because they do work very hard. But after 3 nights of having to stop my dinner conversation for the speeches/songs and then the survey lecture, I had enough. I'm considering other venues than MDR for next month.

I try to not hold it against our servers, after all they're only doing what they are told. I have a feeling that many of them would prefer to drop the song and dance stuff. As far as the pressure for giving them all 10's, that is always awkward for everyone. I do not enjoy being grilled for what I would rate their service as I'm finishing my meal.

The 3 nights of waiters dancing and singing must be fleet wide. We had it on the Allure in May. One night for the waiters, another for the Chefs and then the last night it was done all over again.

I would have also just liked to enjoy my dessert and the conversation going on and say good-bye on the last night. We did give the waiter and assistant waiter an additional tip when we sat down, so we did appreciate the service, just not the overkill on adulation.

The speech on asking for a 10 as the only score that matters is awkward, to say the least. This looks like it is fleet wide, too.

It almost feels like they are trying to convince us of something that is not there with the overkill on acknowledging the wait staff and chefs 3 times and with a the pressure to deliver a 10.

Renech,,,,,,did your son ask to be moved to another cabin due to the leak? I would have not stayed in that cabin.

He didn't. He honestly was just fine with them fixing it, but he didn't realize it would be several days of inconvenience. To their credit, it was never a neglected situation- it just was more complicated than they'd realized.

I'm with you though; the smell was too much for me. I could not have stayed with that smell.

The 3 nights of waiters dancing and singing must be fleet wide. We had it on the Allure in May. One night for the waiters, another for the Chefs and then the last night it was done all over again.

It's funny, but we were on deck 4, near the center and still could not make out what they were saying. I know from past experience that it was staff recognitions, but between the layout and the noise, I could not understand the actual speeches.

Thank you for all of your tips! I am trying to collect many as I will be sailing first time on Oasis class next March. I would like to book some excursions but have questions regarding the meet ups. Do you meet somewhere on the ship prior and then get off or do you wait online with 5000+ people and then find your spot on the dock?? My concern is how long does it take for that many people to get off and will I possibly miss my excursion if it takes a long time?? thank you!! :)

Renech, you mentioned a 30% off pre cruise sale? Was this on beverage packages? And how did you find out about the sale? We are sailing in January and I was interested in purchasing a package, but it's our first time with rcci so I'm clueless

OP, can you tell me more about Luggage Valet? We leave on Saturday and also have a mid-late afternoon flight upon return. Trying to figure out how to stall for time while possibly doing something fun, yet having to deal with luggage too...... Any info would be appreciated!

OP, can you tell me more about Luggage Valet? We leave on Saturday and also have a mid-late afternoon flight upon return. Trying to figure out how to stall for time while possibly doing something fun, yet having to deal with luggage too...... Any info would be appreciated!

You put your luggage outside your stateroom on the last evening of the cruise and the next time you see it is at your destination airport.

You put your luggage outside your stateroom on the last evening of the cruise and the next time you see it is at your destination airport.

Is this different from putting your bags out the night before and gathering them once you get off the ship? Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but if this is true (that I don't need to see luggage until our final airport) it would be awesome! And it would effect how I pack a bit (i.e. Fluid sizes). How do you participate in luggage valet??

Is this different from putting your bags out the night before and gathering them once you get off the ship? Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but if this is true (that I don't need to see luggage until our final airport) it would be awesome! And it would effect how I pack a bit (i.e. Fluid sizes). How do you participate in luggage valet??

Yes, Luggage Valet is different from gathering your bags after you get off the ship. Luggage Valet costs $20 per person. You will get a Luggage Valet sign up form delivered to your stateroom mid-cruise. It will have details on how the program works and the charges for luggage, if appropriate.

Edited by clarea

He didn't. He honestly was just fine with them fixing it, but he didn't realize it would be several days of inconvenience. To their credit, it was never a neglected situation- it just was more complicated than they'd realized.

I'm with you though; the smell was too much for me. I could not have stayed with that smell.

It's funny, but we were on deck 4, near the center and still could not make out what they were saying. I know from past experience that it was staff recognitions, but between the layout and the noise, I could not understand the actual speeches.

We just got off Adventure and my parents had a similar issue in their room. Their carpet was soaked and the entire room smelled musty from a leak. THey couldn't access their room for hours when we came back from a port one day. They received 20% off their next cruise for the inconvenience it caused them.

Thank you for all of your tips! I am trying to collect many as I will be sailing first time on Oasis class next March. I would like to book some excursions but have questions regarding the meet ups. Do you meet somewhere on the ship prior and then get off or do you wait online with 5000+ people and then find your spot on the dock?? My concern is how long does it take for that many people to get off and will I possibly miss my excursion if it takes a long time?? thank you!! :)

For excursions booked through the ship, they will tell you where to meet. Often it's on the dock where they will have employees holding signs for the various excursions.

For excursions booked on your own, just make sure you are on top of the timing. Sometimes ship time is different that port time. When the ship is docked, I've never found the lines to be too bad. Getting on seems to take longer than getting off. If it's a tender port, those lines tend to be longer, IMO.

Renech, you mentioned a 30% off pre cruise sale? Was this on beverage packages? And how did you find out about the sale? We are sailing in January and I was interested in purchasing a package, but it's our first time with rcci so I'm clueless

Keep logging in and checking your cruise options on the RC website. I think we booked the 30% off about a month prior to the cruise. Also, it's worth checking your roll call on cruisecritic, because someone else may post about it.

That reminds me, when we were on the ship and my DD was asking the guys selling the bar packages about any discounts, they said it's never offered for 30% off pre-sale. I was standing there and told them that yes, it definitely was. They said I must be mistaken! Not worth arguing about. ;)

Yes, Luggage Valet is different from gathering your bags after you get off the ship. Luggage Valet costs $20 per person. You will get a Luggage Valet sign up form delivered to your stateroom mid-cruise. It will have details on how the program works and the charges for luggage, if appropriate.

Be sure to fill out the forms before noon! :p

Also, Luggage Valet on the Oasis was $25 last week. I was expecting $20, but it must have gone up.

Thanks for your report.

Keith

You're welcome!

We just got off Adventure and my parents had a similar issue in their room. Their carpet was soaked and the entire room smelled musty from a leak. THey couldn't access their room for hours when we came back from a port one day. They received 20% off their next cruise for the inconvenience it caused them.

Can I ask you who they spoke with? I've emailed RC, but no reply yet. It's only been a few days, so I'm giving it at least another week. But if I don't hear back, I was wondering who to try next.

Keep logging in and checking your cruise options on the RC website. I think we booked the 30% off about a month prior to the cruise. Also, it's worth checking your roll call on cruisecritic, because someone else may post about it.

That reminds me, when we were on the ship and my DD was asking the guys selling the bar packages about any discounts, they said it's never offered for 30% off pre-sale. I was standing there and told them that yes, it definitely was. They said I must be mistaken! Not worth arguing about. ;)

We sailed Oasis in May and our sailing never had the 30% off offered on beverage packages. Many other sailings at the time had the discount, but ours didn't. I agree, keep checking, but grab it if it appears because they can disappear just as quickly.:)