Why Do I See Ship Names In This Manner?

Sascol

Keith your not alone I agree with you.👍

Tony

I was pleased to meet Keith and his lovely wife (Angie?) on a cruise. Very nice folks. (If I am mis-remembering her name please correct me! She was especially nice. :) My wife and I had a great chat with her while they were both supposed to be waiting in line for the Captain's luncheon.)

We are in accord regarding the naming of the ships. I much prefer "Coral Princess" to "Princess Coral". The latter just sounds stilted and weird.

Because they don't know the name of the ship they're going on.

See, that's kind of what I think. So many of the other explanations make a bit of sense but I really think it boils down to this.

Edited by Sascol

I was pleased to meet Keith and his lovely wife (Angie?) on a cruise. Very nice folks. (If I am mis-remembering her name please correct me! She was especially nice. :) My wife and I had a great chat with her while they were both supposed to be waiting in line for the Captain's luncheon.)

We are in accord regarding the naming of the ships. I much prefer "Coral Princess" to "Princess Coral". The latter just sounds stilted and weird.

Are you tryin to get me shot? :eek:

Haha..... You got the "ie" right. That would be Tamie. :D

As long as I don't call out Angie in my sleep. :p

It was great meeting you guys too. We got to chat a few times. ;)

Are you tryin to get me shot? :eek:

Haha..... You got the "ie" right. That would be Tamie. :D

As long as I don't call out Angie in my sleep. :p

It was great meeting you guys too. We got to chat a few times. ;)

GAH! I just tried to inform my wife that she was wrong and it turns out she was telling me the name of the another Keith's wife! D'Oh! One of my cousin's (who we just had dinner with the other night) has a son named Keith and his wife is named Angie. :eek:

Sigh... Old people.

These are the 2-letter abbreviations Princess uses in the URL for each ship. If you're not sure, just go to the Princess website.

Main fleet:

• CB - Caribbean Princess

• CO - Coral Princess

• KP - Crown Princess

• DP - Dawn Princess

• DI - Diamond Princess

• EP - Emerald Princess

• NP - Golden Princess

• AP - Grand Princess

• IP - Island Princess

• GP - Regal Princess

• RP - Royal Princess

• RU - Ruby Princess

• SA - Sapphire Princess

• CP - Sea Princess

• TP - Star Princess

• SP - Sun Princess

The Small Ships of Princess:

• PA - Pacific Princess

I remember saying mentioning the way to find this out on the Princess website is to go to the list of ships and then click on the name of the ship you're interested in and the abbreviation will be in the website address. Here's the one for the Caribbean Princess, for example: http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/video/gKL_rkSL_HgSiQrAYpg_33dhIl9EP9v8/jon-stewart-takes-over-colbert-s-late-show-desk/

Because they don't know the name of the ship they're going on.

It's amazing to talk to someone who doesn't remember the name of a ship they've been on recently. At a kids' birthday party, I was talking to another parent who remembered they had been on an Alaskan cruise the summer before, but only remembered it was on Princess. I asked which port they left on and the day of the week and I said, oh, you were on the Diamond.

It's amazing to talk to someone who doesn't remember the name of a ship they've been on recently.

Does not surprise me at all.

I know a number of people who are booked on a cruise and have no idea what the ship name will be. Usually the person's spouse made all of the arrangements and the person just did not get involved.

As a teenager I worked as an usher in a movie theater. This was before the days of the multiples. Once screen. One movie. You would be surprised how many patrons after purchasing tickets and entering the theater would ask me what picture was playing that evening.

It probably stands out (even annoys) us here on CC because we are familiar with a particular order.

I know a fellow whose family call him one name (his middle name) but work colleagues call him his first name, it jolts when someone calls him the name I came to know him by.

Probably has the same effect on us when people reverse ship names.

It probably stands out (even annoys) us here on CC because we are familiar with a particular order.

I know a fellow whose family call him one name (his middle name) but work colleagues call him his first name, it jolts when someone calls him the name I came to know him by.

Probably has the same effect on us when people reverse ship names.

I was always called "Mike". We moved all the time so I was always the 3rd, 4th, or 5th "Mike" in every class. They usually just added my last initial to make me "Mike G" in every new school. I hated it.

When I was 17 I changed schools yet again and said, "My name is Michael" and, in general, I never responded to "Mike" again. However, my few remaining family members still insist on calling me "Mike" as they are the only remaining people who knew me when I was young and it's not worth fighting about. Everybody else who knows me (or has met me in the last 45 years or so) only knows me as "Michael". (OK, geocachers actually know me as "Thrak" but that's a different story... :D)

I was always called "Mike". We moved all the time so I was always the 3rd, 4th, or 5th "Mike" in every class. They usually just added my last initial to make me "Mike G" in every new school. I hated it.

When I was 17 I changed schools yet again and said, "My name is Michael" and, in general, I never responded to "Mike" again. However, my few remaining family members still insist on calling me "Mike" as they are the only remaining people who knew me when I was young and it's not worth fighting about. Everybody else who knows me (or has met me in the last 45 years or so) only knows me as "Michael". (OK, geocachers actually know me as "Thrak" but that's a different story... :D)

My name is Geoff, only two people on earth call me Geoffrey other than when I'm in trouble.

Many only know me as Gut.