so many questions.......first time on RC

Okay, I am somewhat tech illiterate and would never get my money's worth out of internet packages on board. Plus, for the most part, I like to "unplug" on cruises and live in the moment .

My question is are there usually places near ports i.e. coffee shops that have wifi that I could possibly plug into should I experience Facebook withdrawal? The ports in particular are Astoria, OR, Santa Barbara and San Francisco, CA, Victoria, BC and Seattle, WA.

If hubby purchases an internet package and is not logged on, you can log on. It is for a certain number of devices at one time. I suspect you'll find that much easier than trying to find a place in port.

As for the drink packages, based on what you said, I think you would benefit from the packages. This thread will give you an idea of prices if you pay per drink: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2176366&highlight=current+drink+prices

The 20% off of drink packages is not offered on all sailings and is not offered on board. If you know you'll want the package and it's currently showing 20% off, I would purchase it now.

Finally, if you want to drop me an email at payitforward71@live.com, I have some pointers on the water issue.

Edited by payitforward

If hubby purchases an internet package and is not logged on, you can log on. It is for a certain number of devices at one time. I suspect you'll find that much easier than trying to find a place in port.

That would be great if I had a hubby but I don't have one of those creatures. :D

Thanks for the internet advice! we will just get the basic Voom surf. We only need to check email once a day or so and would be nice to have wifi to use our "imessage" on our iphones without using cellular data since the ship is so huge, if my husband and I get split up we can message each other (that is not considered "streaming" right?)

I think we actually may go for the Ultimate drink packages but that is only because they are 20% off right now and we did the math and would make sense. If they were the normal price we would not do it as it would waste money for us. Does anyone know if drinks like pellegrino (sparkling bottled water) is included in the ultimate package? We love to have bottled sparking water with dinner and sometimes at lunch. Also, with the specialty coffees are there any cafe's that you cannot get them in? I know Starbucks does not count for specialty coffees but do all other cafe's or restaurants?

That would be great if I had a hubby but I don't have one of those creatures. :D

My apologies. I wasn't registering the screen name, and was thinking I was responding to the OP who specifically mentioned a hubby. I travel solo as well, but couldn't survive without my "connection" to the outside world. lol

I don't believe this information is correct. You can prepay your gratuities if you wish, but it is not automatic. Just because you select MyTime Dining you don't have to prepay gratuities.

Daily gratuities are added to your Seapass account on a daily basis. It is around $13 per person per day for a non suite staterooms. This includes cabin steward, all dining venues a d miscellaneous behind the scenes people. Does not include room service.

When My time first came out u did have to pay them upfront, but no longer.

When My time first came out u did have to pay them upfront, but no longer.

Yah, I just check Royal's website. You no longer have to pre-pay gratuities if you choose My Time Dining. I had to pre-pay gratuities on my upcoming December cruise on the Harmony. However, I booked it last year and wasn't aware of the change.

They do still show that option on the website to pre-pay. But is not mandatory like before.

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

Okay, I am somewhat tech illiterate and would never get my money's worth out of internet packages on board. Plus, for the most part, I like to "unplug" on cruises and live in the moment .

My question is are there usually places near ports i.e. coffee shops that have wifi that I could possibly plug into should I experience Facebook withdrawal? The ports in particular are Astoria, OR, Santa Barbara and San Francisco, CA, Victoria, BC and Seattle, WA.

I know there are places in Santa Barbara and San Francisco and Seattle where you can find WiFi friendly locations. The other ports you asked about my guess would say yes, but not 100% positive.

To the OP a few things from your original post... As far as checking the phones, iPad etc. You only need to get it for 1 device. All it means is you both can not be logged on at the same time. You MUST log off in order to login with another device.

Yes there is a Starbucks and he can get his espresso there (and pay as you go) However on deck 5 (where starbucks is) there is Café Promenade

(This café on the Royal Promenade offers favorites like Seattle's Best Coffee® and tons of snacks to choose from.) This may be a lil less expensive. not sure...

You are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom on board (no corkage fee) Some people pack a case of bottled water too... it is not allowed but often not enforced.

As you saw with the dinner menu link Bob provided for you there is a lot of options that change nightly. What is not on there are extra sides... I always order a side of steamed veggies. Since you like to stay on the healthy side of things I thought this might help you.

... I had to pre-pay gratuities on my upcoming December cruise on the Harmony....

You can contact whoever booked your cruise and remove the prepaid gratuities if you want.

We were on Allure in April. (Not big RCCL fans...Prefer Celebrity) I picked Allure soley for the Rising Tide Bar. Before our cruise we received an email offering a 20% discount on the drink package. Ended up to be $48 pp/per day including grats. We thought it was a fair deal. We did enjoy Allure but are going back to Celebrity. (after we try MSC Divina in October.

Thanks. They have it on sale for 20% off now. I guess I should buy it. Still not sure.

If you will buy either now or on board, better to buy now. You would not likely get a better deal on board.

Ask your room steward or waiter or just about any crew member. If there is free wifi anywhere near the port, they will know.

Ask your room steward or waiter or just about any crew member. If there is free wifi anywhere near the port, they will know.

Great suggestion! Thanks. I know in Victoria, there is free wifi in any Tim Hortons among many other establishments. It is states side that I am unsure of. :)