Internet WIFI package??

Is the only internet available the VOOM Packages? We sailed the Freedom 2 years ago and I can't remember what they had, though I do remember paying for some internet time. Just want to be able to check my email/check in at home a few times-not sure I need access everyday all day.

Can you purchase this by the day? How much is it if we wait until we are on board?

Also, going to Western Caribbean- Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth and Labadee- anyone know of free/cheap internet places near the ports where we could check in?

Thanks!

VOOM is the only internet the ship sells.

You can purchase by the day, I think it's $20 for a single device for 24 hours.

Edited by clarea

Can you purchase this by the day? How much is it if we wait until we are on board?

Also, going to Western Caribbean- Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth and Labadee- anyone know of free/cheap internet places near the ports where we could check in?

Thanks!

The one device SURF package onboard is $12.99/day.

Ask your wait staff about WiFi spots in the port - they usually know them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The one device SURF package onboard is $12.99/day.

Ask your wait staff about WiFi spots in the port - they usually know them.

I believe the $12.99 price is if you buy multiple days.

Is the only internet available the VOOM Packages? We sailed the Freedom 2 years ago and I can't remember what they had, though I do remember paying for some internet time. Just want to be able to check my email/check in at home a few times-not sure I need access everyday all day.

Thanks!

If you are a Verizon Wireless customer, you could buy a travel pass for one or all of your ports. Most countries are $10 per day, with Canada and Mexico only $2 per day. The travel pass gives you access to your domestic calling, text and data plan once you activate the travel pass in that country. I used a travel pass in Cozumel this past May and it worked great! I made multiple calls and used my data plan, all for $2, was great!

I hope this isn't considering hijacking the thread, but what kind of system does Explorer have. Are there internet benefits for Diamond or Diamond Plus? I know there were awhile ago but I just looked over the benefit list on the website and wifi isn't mentioned, unless I missed something.

I hope this isn't considering hijacking the thread, but what kind of system does Explorer have. Are there internet benefits for Diamond or Diamond Plus? I know there were awhile ago but I just looked over the benefit list on the website and wifi isn't mentioned, unless I missed something.

Explorer has the slower system right now. Diamond gets a $20 discount or one free 24-hour period. Diamond Plus gets a $40 discount or two free 24-hour periods.

seychelle - you and I are on the same upcoming Explorer cruise. Even with my D+ benefit I am purchasing the surf before we board - the price is less than waiting until on board. We don't get the d+ discount combined with the pre purchase price but we have figured out pre purchase is the better price for our long cruise. My husband will use the free 2- 24 hour time sessions and then use my log in number. I have been told by Royal if you purchase the internet package and are unhappy with the connectivity after a few days, they will refund you. Just go to guest services.

Great to hear. I'll be on Anthem in March.

We'll be on that same cruise. I already purchased the Voom PKG for 4 devices (30% off) . Just the Surf, since we intend to use it just to communicate onboard with the rest of our groupe of about 10 families.

But I'm wondering if the Royal IQ app messaging service is stable enough to just go with that instead?

dp

Edited by dpostman

We'll be on that same cruise. I already purchased the Voom PKG for 4 devices (30% off) . Just the Surf, since we intend to use it just to communicate onboard with the rest of our groupe of about 10 families.

But I'm wondering if the Royal IQ app messaging service is stable enough to just go with that instead?

You'll have to do the math between what you paid and $8/device for all the people in your party. Functionally it'll do what you want but you'll lose internet access.

You'll have to do the math between what you paid and $8/device for all the people in your party. Functionally it'll do what you want but you'll lose internet access.

Well, for just our family of 4 it cost me just over $250 CAN for 4 devices for 7 days. I think I read that it costs $8 USD per device for the entire cruise. I don't really care to have internet access when on board. So if I find through this forum that the Royal IQ messaging app is reliable enough to be dependable, I'll probably go with that.

Thanks for your info.

dp

Well, for just our family of 4 it cost me just over $250 CAN for 4 devices for 7 days. I think I read that it costs $8 USD per device for the entire cruise. I don't really care to have internet access when on board. So if I find through this forum that the Royal IQ messaging app is reliable enough to be dependable, I'll probably go with that.

Thanks for your info.

dp

I don't usually report hearsay, but I haven't heard really good things about the reliability of Royal IQ as a messaging service.

A long while ago, on the Quantum, when it was new, and free, it didn't really work at all.

One thing that I think has not changed: Both the sender and receiver must have it ON, or it doesn't work.

I don't usually report hearsay, but I haven't heard really good things about the reliability of Royal IQ as a messaging service.

This probably has to do with the overall WiFi connectivity as much as the app itself. There might be some spots on the ship where WiFi coverage is iffy and there it might not work - no, you might not get reliability like you would on land in terms of getting texts/calls, but I imagine that it is a "good enough" solution.

A long while ago, on the Quantum, when it was new, and free, it didn't really work at all.

One thing that I think has not changed: Both the sender and receiver must have it ON, or it doesn't work.

Right, the app must stay open for the messages/calls to get through.

That is what I also remember reading so I'm waiting till we get closer to our cruise to see of things improve. If not, we'll use the Wifi package and go with Google Hangouts or something similar. I'll just disable my Facebook and Messenger apps while on board ;)

• 3 weeks later...