Alaska Northbound--Starboard, Port or Doesn't Matter?

GradUT

From what I've heard, the conventional wisdom is that you should get a starboard room on a north-bound cruise for the best views through the Inside Passage. But,I've recently read some reports that it doesn't really make a difference if it's starboard or port.

I'm planning to book within the next few days and I'd appreciate some input from those "in the know".

Many thanks!

I personally would choose starboard because I like to see land as much as possible. However, in Alaska, it doesn't really matter. One should be out on open decks as much as possible to see the sea life and the scenery.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

We had a forward facing balcony on a Princess cruise. It was great. At the glaciers we had a view the whole time as the captain turned the ship from starboard to port to give each side a chance to view the glaciers. I'm not sure if any HAL ships have forward facing balconies.

That you all for your input. Unfortunately, there was no consensus, so it looks like I'll have to decide for myself. 😩

But it does sound like whatever cabin we choose, we are going to have an amazing trip.

Some people prefer starboard for northbound assuming they will see the higher mountains to the east but most of the time those are shrouded in clouds anyway so the lower forested mountains/hills are all that is visible and the westward islands look about the same. As others have said from a cabin perspective you can only see one directions and the best views are on-deck or in Crows Nest lounge where you can see every direction. A big reason why we've elected to do an Inside next year (our first) and spend the money elsewhere.

Doesn't matter much which side you are on as you are usually 30 or 40 miles out to sea when you are sailing (except from Vancouver when you go between Vancouver Island and the mainland and then it doesn't matter because the land is right there on either side).

I am just happy to be cruising.

Have cruised north bound from Vancouver twice. Once on Princess and once on Oceania. Had cabins on starboard side both times. The cruise on Oceania was a round trip out of Vancouver. If you are interested in marine life, a lower deck may be also of interest and important. Frankly I found myself spending a lot of time on the open top deck as this was a great place for photography especially with a good camera and zoom lens. I would agree with previous post that starboard side would only be best when you are leaving the Vancouver area.