General Cruise Questions for RCL (Oasis)

We're taking a cruise in November with our 7 & 8 year old daughters. Last time we cruised was when our youngest was 6 months, so we kind of know what the cruise is about, but have some questions...

- Our online reservation shows: "My Time Dining - no wait list". What does this mean?

- Some show reservations have an 7:30 or 9:30 option. Are shows longer than an hour? With 7 & 8 year olds, any preference between the two?

- Why the popularity for specialty restaurants? It seems like an expensive proposition for a family of 4 considering you can get a full-service dinner for free in the MDR. What am I missing?

- Is there a way to know in advance which night(s) the kids will be able to eat dinner with the kids club? If the wife & I want to have a quiet dinner one night and get reservations, how do we know which night to book?

- What should we expect in terms of how much time the kids will spend in kids club vs with us during the week?

- How hard is it to get a mid-week dinner reservation on the ship if plans change?

- Formal nights. How fancy are they (we want to be dressed like the average person)? Are sport coats and fancy dresses necessary? (Just trying to minimize packing). Are specialty restaurants also mainly jackets/fancy those nights?

- Non-formal nights, what's average dress in the MDR? I assume collared golf shirt is average...but jeans, khakis or dress shorts?

- Ice skating...how cold is it? Do we need to pack a sweater if we want to ice skate as a family?

- CATS show (Oasis)...do 7 & 8 year old girls enjoy this show? I heard it was long.

- Activity on ship during Port days. To save cost, we're probably not going to do an excursion in each port (there's 4 ports). I know we can walk around town, but if we choose to stay on the ship, is there activity occurring that we can participate in as a family (is the ice skating rink open for example?)

I realize this is a lot of questions...thank you in advance for your help.

We're taking a cruise in November with our 7 & 8 year old daughters. Last time we cruised was when our youngest was 6 months, so we kind of know what the cruise is about, but have some questions...

- Our online reservation shows: "My Time Dining - no wait list". What does this mean?

- Some show reservations have an 7:30 or 9:30 option. Are shows longer than an hour? With 7 & 8 year olds, any preference between the two?

- Why the popularity for specialty restaurants? It seems like an expensive proposition for a family of 4 considering you can get a full-service dinner for free in the MDR. What am I missing?

- Is there a way to know in advance which night(s) the kids will be able to eat dinner with the kids club? If the wife & I want to have a quiet dinner one night and get reservations, how do we know which night to book?

- What should we expect in terms of how much time the kids will spend in kids club vs with us during the week?

- How hard is it to get a mid-week dinner reservation on the ship if plans change?

- Formal nights. How fancy are they (we want to be dressed like the average person)? Are sport coats and fancy dresses necessary? (Just trying to minimize packing). Are specialty restaurants also mainly jackets/fancy those nights?

- Non-formal nights, what's average dress in the MDR? I assume collared golf shirt is average...but jeans, khakis or dress shorts?

- Ice skating...how cold is it? Do we need to pack a sweater if we want to ice skate as a family?

- CATS show (Oasis)...do 7 & 8 year old girls enjoy this show? I heard it was long.

- Activity on ship during Port days. To save cost, we're probably not going to do an excursion in each port (there's 4 ports). I know we can walk around town, but if we choose to stay on the ship, is there activity occurring that we can participate in as a family (is the ice skating rink open for example?)

I realize this is a lot of questions...thank you in advance for your help.

Wow!! All good questions. You left off the smoking, tipping, and drink packages. Subscribed, waiting to hear responses.

Enjoy your cruise.

Many of your questions can be answered by viewing "Frequently Asked Questions" on the RCCL web site. That is where I go when I want answers without opinions. If Clarea reads your post he (Bob) will give you correct answers as will Merion Mom. We have sailed Allure but will not sail Oasis until December. You will enjoy your cruise on Oasis and from what I have read on other threads so will your children.

Grace

The least of your concerns is food.

We have done both Oasis and Allure. There are so many free venues to choose from, you will not need to pay for any dining.

MDR dress is just about anything goes. Slacks and golf shirt is perfectly fine any evening. If you want to dress up for formal, do it.

As for port days, the ship is massive. You will find tons of stuff to do, and the majority of passengers will be off the ship. Do your research on the ship, specifically, familiarize with all of the decks, what is on them, what you want to see/do.

Answering a few of your questions.

1. If you have selected MTD you can make a reservation or just show up. If you have traditional dining you will eat at 6:00 or 8:30 each night (might be 5:30 or 8:00 not absolutely sure, but fixed times).

2. Shows for the most part are around one hour (Cats maybe longer). Keep in mind you may have to go from one end of the ship to the other. Show reservations are for entry only, not a specific seat. Standby line opens up 10 minutes before show, so you need to be there 10 minutes before show time.

3. Some people like the ambiance, special treat for celebration, or more intimate setting. Food for the most part is better than M DR.

5. Kids can spend as much, or little time as you want. Your choice.

7 and 8. Formal night is not so formal anymore. You will see everything from tuxes to polo shirts. I would say suits or shirt and tie are the most popular. Shorts are not permitted in MDR on any night, but people do wear; just be prepared to be turned away if staff decides to monitor. Do a search on this - multiple comments. Very controversial subject.

9. It's an ice rink! No different from an ice rink at home? Do you skate? If you are just holding on sides of rink you may want a sweater/sweatshirt. If you know how to skate you will be exercising and working up a sweat.

Definitely need long pants and socks ( not footsie type socks). This is mandatory. You will not be allowed to skate without. Helmets and pads also mandatory and provided.

11. If you stay on ship pools/bars/dining open. Shops are closed. Sports deck, basketball, mini golf, etc. are open. Don't remember about rock climbing, flow rider, etc.

Ice skating is not open that much. There are very definite sessions. Enough to have fun, but not all day long. I don't remember being open in port. You need to check your compass each night for session times.

Answering a few of your questions.

1. If you have selected MTD you can make a reservation or just show up. If you have traditional dining you will eat at 6:00 or 8:30 each night (might be 5:30 or 8:00 not absolutely sure, but fixed times).

2. Shows for the most part are around one hour (Cats maybe longer). Keep in mind you may have to go from one end of the ship to the other. Show reservations are for entry only, not a specific seat. Standby line opens up 10 minutes before show, so you need to be there 10 minutes before show time.

3. Some people like the ambiance, special treat for celebration, or more intimate setting. Food for the most part is better than M DR.

5. Kids can spend as much, or little time as you want. Your choice.

7 and 8. Formal night is not so formal anymore. You will see everything from tuxes to polo shirts. I would say suits or shirt and tie are the most popular. Shorts are not permitted in MDR on any night, but people do wear; just be prepared to be turned away if staff decides to monitor. Do a search on this - multiple comments. Very controversial subject.

9. It's an ice rink! No different from an ice rink at home? Do you skate? If you are just holding on sides of rink you may want a sweater/sweatshirt. If you know how to skate you will be exercising and working up a sweat.

Definitely need long pants and socks ( not footsie type socks). This is mandatory. You will not be allowed to skate without. Helmets and pads also mandatory and provided.

11. If you stay on ship pools/bars/dining open. Shops are closed. Sports deck, basketball, mini golf, etc. are open. Don't remember about rock climbing, flow rider, etc.

Ice skating is not open that much. There are very definite sessions. Enough to have fun, but not all day long. I don't remember being open in port. You need to check your compass each night for session times.

You might get more responses by asking individual questions and posting a clue in your heading.

Have fun!

The "no wait list" part means that you have been assigned to MTD and are not on wait lists for any other dining method. Sometimes people cannot immediately get their desired dining choice, so they get on a wait list and hope to get moved off the wait list before the cruise. In your case, you are already on your selected dining choice, so no wait list is necessary.

I'd bring a light sweater for the ice skating.

Edited by clarea

Cats is over 2 1/2 hours long. There is an Intermission. Unless your girls are involved in theatre or dance, they may not like or appreciate it. My daughters we 13 and 18 when they saw it on the ship. If you're not familiar with the storyline, it can be difficult to follow. The girls said they were glad the saw it, but wouldn't go again. Your daughters would probably have much more fun at Adventure Ocean.

No necessity to go to specialty restaurants, especially on Oasis with all the free venues. Since you are in MTD, you can decide to attend either the earlier or later show times each night. If you want, you can make dinner reservations on line or after boarding, or just show up when you like. However, if that is your choice, be prepared to wait a bit perhaps.