Denali tundra wilderness tour

drneal

I talked to one of the bus drivers. He said that it must be a mistake to have a TWT scheduled on Sept. 15, because they don't run the buses over Polychrome on road lottery days. You may find out later in the season that that tour has been cancelled.

He also mentioned that they extended the Natural History Tour to Teklanika this year, which is around 30 miles into the park instead of 17 and that they are going to have a couple of TWT tours a day going to Eielson Visitor Center rather than turning around at Stony Hill.

Too bad. Well hopefully youll have good weather on the 15th and get to see lots of wildlife. As I said, watch for moose during the first 15 miles.....

No, there's nothing at McKinley Princess. A few trails. It's an isolated location, about an hour from the village of Talkeetna, which is a popular location for denali flightseeing. Holding you late in Talkeetna probably gives them time to get all the rooms ready at Denali Lodge for your arrival.

If Princess doesn't offer an after hours shuttle on the 15th, the Denali Salmon Bake shuttle is a good option to explore. Check after Labor Day for their end of season revision. OTOH if there are a few of you to share the cost, the taxi might not be so expensive and it would sure be convenient. I remember reading it was about $40 for the 1 mile ride.

Check with your friends ... maybe they would be willing to cancel the cruisetour and rebook the land independently in order to arrive in Denali a day earlier . Good luck and have a good trip !

Mapleleaves,

Seriously thinking of doing the afternoon TWT as you suggested. The salmon bake shuttle that is mentioned, does that actually pick up at the WAC, or does it just drive up and down the highway between the prospectors pizza restaurant, the salmon bake and somewhere called Healy' base camp? On the map it looks like the Denali lodge would be a short walk from either the pizza place or the restaurant. So I guess a late dinner followed by a short walk would be one solution?

• 1 month later...
I was looking to book the Tundra Wilderness Tour through the reservedenali website because they charge $130 vs Princess charging $165. But the shuttle from the Princess Denali lodge only starts at 7am and the tour leaves from WAC at 7:10 am. Is it safe/advisable to be walking from the Lodge to WAC at 6am in September? Or just eat the extra cost?

I reserved the Tundra Wilderness Tour on my own last September, but was also worried about the transportation to get on the tour. When I made the reservation over the phone, I was told that they were picking up at Denali Princess Lodge anyway and we could be picked up there also. We just checked in with the main desk when we arrived, they called the park to confirm the reservation, so we were picked up right at the Princess Denali Lodge. Since you said Princess was not doing a TWT that day, I would check with the reservation site to see if they are doing a pick up there on the day you want to go. (Phone: 1-800-622-7275) That may resolve your transportation issues.

Also, if you are a US citizen 62 years of age or older, you can get a lifetime Senior Park Pass for all national parks for $10.00. Here is a weblink: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm#CP_JUMP_5088578

If you have one of these passes, you can get the $10.00 refunded at the Wilderness Access Center, since the TWT cost includes the usual $10.00 park entrance fee.

I reserved the Tundra Wilderness Tour on my own last September, but was also worried about the transportation to get on the tour. When I made the reservation over the phone, I was told that they were picking up at Denali Princess Lodge anyway and we could be picked up there also. We just checked in with the main desk when we arrived, they called the park to confirm the reservation, so we were picked up right at the Princess Denali Lodge. Since you said Princess was not doing a TWT that day, I would check with the reservation site to see if they are doing a pick up there on the day you want to go. (Phone: 1-800-622-7275) That may resolve your transportation issues.

Your information is out of date. Tours now leave from the Wilderness Access Center.

Mapleleaves,

Seriously thinking of doing the afternoon TWT as you suggested. The salmon bake shuttle that is mentioned, does that actually pick up at the WAC, or does it just drive up and down the highway between the prospectors pizza restaurant, the salmon bake and somewhere called Healy' base camp? On the map it looks like the Denali lodge would be a short walk from either the pizza place or the restaurant. So I guess a late dinner followed by a short walk would be one solution?

The Princess Lodge is across the street from both these stops which are easily walkable.

I have taken this shuttle, and it is pretty reliable. But, in the past it ran one time through. I had to do my "New York" line etiquette manners "reminder" since there were later arrivals who attempted to jump on the bus which didn't have room for everyone. They were told by the driver, they'd have to wait for the next bus. Not happy people.

Of course this was previous, they could be operating differently now. There is a fee for this service.

The Princess Lodge is across the street from both these stops which are easily walkable.

I have taken this shuttle, and it is pretty reliable. But, in the past it ran one time through. I had to do my "New York" line etiquette manners "reminder" since there were later arrivals who attempted to jump on the bus which didn't have room for everyone. They were told by the driver, they'd have to wait for the next bus. Not happy people.

Of course this was previous, they could be operating differently now. There is a fee for this service.

For my Denali your I chose the kantishna experience tour instead of the TWT because I wanna go the full park distance :). Very excited. And after an included lunch you have a choice to watch dog sledding or gold panning. I'm choosing gold panning :)

If there is still doubt in anyone's mind about going on the TWT, let me share with you some video I made in the Toklat River Basin while on the tour back in August of Ought-11 (2011 for you young-uns). The videos are of 3 bears and a wolf "discussing" dinner arrangements over a caribou that our guide told us the wolf had actually taken down 3-4 days earlier. It definitely is not a part of the regular fare of the tour but is a great example of what you may get to see. Just go to youtube, search for gepaza66, and enjoy the action in the 4 videos. It is not professional by any means but you get to see a lot of not-everyday sights.

We are going to Alaska again this summer and I will not miss this tour!

We also were lucky enough to see a Golden Eagle on that same tour

If there is still doubt in anyone's mind about going on the TWT, let me share with you some video I made in the Toklat River Basin while on the tour back in August of Ought-11 (2011 for you young-uns). The videos are of 3 bears and a wolf "discussing" dinner arrangements over a caribou that our guide told us the wolf had actually taken down 3-4 days earlier. It definitely is not a part of the regular fare of the tour but is a great example of what you may get to see. Just go to youtube, search for gepaza66, and enjoy the action in the 4 videos. It is not professional by any means but you get to see a lot of not-everyday sights.

We are going to Alaska again this summer and I will not miss this tour!

We also were lucky enough to see a Golden Eagle on that same tour

I'm wondering where is the best place on the bus to sit in these tours? Front? Back? Left side?

Also, if you are a US citizen 62 years of age or older, you can get a lifetime Senior Park Pass for all national parks for $10.00. Here is a weblink: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm#CP_JUMP_5088578

If you have one of these passes, you can get the $10.00 refunded at the Wilderness Access Center, since the TWT cost includes the usual $10.00 park entrance fee.

Buy it now. It is going up to $80 later this year. And before anyone blames Trump for this one, the increase was passed under the Obama administration.

DON

I'm wondering where is the best place on the bus to sit in these tours? Front? Back? Left side?

Ideal for me, is to split up from who I travel with and we each get a window seat. Doesn't matter who sits in the aisle to me. I then have full access to both sides. (infrequently, you do get "unfriendly people at windows" :)

I like closer to the front, but frankly, it doesn't really matter much where you sit. Wildlife is always going to "next" to someone else. :) :)

The driver will answer questions over and above all the canned stuff, so if you sit up front you get to ask more questions. Right or left only makes a difference if the action happens to be on the other side. You will see one side going out and the other side coming back and animals show up on both sides.

Wear a jacket or layers enough to keep you warm - it snowed on us a little in the first week of August and there is generally a pretty strong breeze.

Oh, and for those who carry a book to get stamped at the national parks, they do that for you at the gift/rest center (at mile 18, if I remember correctly) where we got out to stretch our legs. That is where I got the video of the beautiful colors of the Polychrome valley.

p.s., look around at the rest center. We were standing, looking and talking when my wife happened to look up on the ridge behind the center and discovered 4 Dall Sheep grazing around up there.

Your information is out of date. Tours now leave from the Wilderness Access Center.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I faced the same dilemma last year, when I booked the TWT independently, and was concerned about getting to the Wilderness Access Center in time to catch the tour. That is why I shared how I was able to resolve the issue, in hopes that it would assist the poster petechan to find a transportation solution.

The driver will answer questions over and above all the canned stuff, so if you sit up front you get to ask more questions. Right or left only makes a difference if the action happens to be on the other side. You will see one side going out and the other side coming back and animals show up on both sides.

Wear a jacket or layers enough to keep you warm - it snowed on us a little in the first week of August and there is generally a pretty strong breeze.

Oh, and for those who carry a book to get stamped at the national parks, they do that for you at the gift/rest center (at mile 18, if I remember correctly) where we got out to stretch our legs. That is where I got the video of the beautiful colors of the Polychrome valley.

p.s., look around at the rest center. We were standing, looking and talking when my wife happened to look up on the ridge behind the center and discovered 4 Dall Sheep grazing around up there.[/quote

Thank you very much for your input

The shuttle bus is much cheaper. It doesn't come with the snack box.

The Princess Tours do not let you off the bus. Princess just refunded me $99 for dropping the 'included' Natural History Tour (i.e. 17 mile park tour). The reviews I've read said it was not worth it. 5 hours stuck on a bus and you do not get to see much. Ugh! After reading on this thread what is in the snack boxes, I'll pass. (Plus the park shuttle buses are free to ride for the first 17 miles of park road!) The Princess Lodge has free shuttle buses from the Lodge to the ranger station located .8 miles inside the park entrance. The Lodge shuttle buses are also free.

The Denali NP Shuttles to Eielsen Visitors Center (at mile marker 63) cost $43 dollars for an all day ride ticket. You can even reserve your Denali bus ticket on line right now if you wish. URL -> http://www.reservedenali.com/

You can get off the Park shuttle bus at any point and walk awhile to see sights, take pictures and stretch your legs. When the next shuttle comes along (approx 30 mins between shuttles) you just hail it and get back on.

Polychrome Pass at milemarker 53 is a must see location. On a clear day you have an endless visa view of Denali. Here is the URL for Denali National Park, you will find a lot of information about what is available and where to find the Park's highlights. https://www.nps.gov/dena/index.htm

I will be there in early September and want to see the park beyond the developed entrance area so I have been seriously studying up on this. :cool:

Edited by Charleen2

The Princess Tours do not let you off the bus. Princess just refunded me $99 for dropping the 'included' Natural History Tour (i.e. 17 mile park tour). The reviews I've read said it was not worth it. 5 hours stuck on a bus and you do not get to see much.

Agree above statement from all my readings. Just want to let everyone know that the NHT now goes to mile 30 due to all the complaints.

The Princess Tours do not let you off the bus. Princess just refunded me $99 for dropping the 'included' Natural History Tour (i.e. 17 mile park tour). The reviews I've read said it was not worth it. 5 hours stuck on a bus and you do not get to see much. Ugh! After reading on this thread what is in the snack boxes, I'll pass. (Plus the park shuttle buses are free to ride for the first 17 miles of park road!) The Princess Lodge has free shuttle buses from the Lodge to the ranger station located .8 miles inside the park entrance. The Lodge shuttle buses are also free.

The Denali NP Shuttles to Eielsen Visitors Center (at mile marker 63) cost $43 dollars for an all day ride ticket. You can even reserve your Denali bus ticket on line right now if you wish. URL -> http://www.reservedenali.com/

You can get off the Park shuttle bus at any point and walk awhile to see sights, take pictures and stretch your legs. When the next shuttle comes along (approx 30 mins between shuttles) you just hail it and get back on.

Polychrome Pass at milemarker 53 is a must see location. On a clear day you have an endless visa view of Denali. Here is the URL for Denali National Park, you will find a lot of information about what is available and where to find the Park's highlights. https://www.nps.gov/dena/index.htm

I will be there in early September and want to see the park beyond the developed entrance area so I have been seriously studying up on this. :cool:

Eielson is mile 66. In Sept, no doubt, I'm at Wonder Lake. :) :)

In the past, I was also charged for the Princess shuttle bus.

The Princess Tours do not let you off the bus. Princess just refunded me $99 for dropping the 'included' Natural History Tour (i.e. 17 mile park tour). The reviews I've read said it was not worth it. 5 hours stuck on a bus and you do not get to see much.

Agree above statement from all my readings. Just want to let everyone know that the NHT now goes to mile 30 due to all the complaints.

What complaints? I found many people to be pretty uninformed on the NHT. This is still a lacking distance in my opinion.