Help with excursions 14 day NCL Panama Canal in November

horsing around

This is our second cruise ever. First was Alaska on Princess, 2005. Since this is all very new, could I get some help in choosing excursions? Anyone know of extremely reliable local tours? I am not finding NCL selections very interesting.

Also would like to save a little money. Would love your thoughts!

We are on the Jewel's 16-night Panama Canal sailing in January. A good source of info for private guides and excursions is the Ports of Call forum right here on CC. For more general info on the Canal itself, there's the Panama Canal forum. Also, join your Roll Call (if you haven't yet), as that's a great place to discuss, organize, and join private tours.

Separately, I strongly suggest reading David McCullough's "The Path Between the Seas," if you haven't done so already.

Have a great trip!

ToursbyLocals are a great way to see any area... look up ToursbyLocals and choose Central America, sorry about that. Have a look at what's available and of course Trip Advisor is always a great source.

Good luck and welcome back to cruising. :D

Edited by All-ready2cruise
Corrected location

This is our second cruise ever. First was Alaska on Princess, 2005. Since this is all very new, could I get some help in choosing excursions? Anyone know of extremely reliable local tours? I am not finding NCL selections very interesting.

We are doing the same cruise as you, NCL Jewel Los Angeles to Miami, but on February 5, 2017. Here is what we have booked so far

Guatemala - - NCL tour Antigua on Your Own

Corinto Nicaragua 6 of us are joining tour for 12 to Leon through Cruise Critic roll call with JulioTours Nicaragua

Puntarenas Costa Rica private tour for 8 of us traveling together with GioTours - 8 in One Tour

Cartagena, Columbia private tour for 8 of us with Dora

These tours are all described and reviewed on trip advisor. The operators all have websites and are very responsive to email requests.

We've been to Cabo several times .... will probably do one of the local inexpensive boat tours and then find a beach bar.

Acapulco - not sure we'll even get there. We were there several years ago and booked an sightseeing excursion after we got off the ship and had no problems but times have changed. Our friends are doing Cliff Divers and Fort tour through NCL. We haven't made any decision on this port.

Join the Roll Call for your cruise and see what other people are doing.

Look on Norwegian's website to see what they are offering.

Look through all the tour brochures you can find and write down a list of things that interest you. When you get off the ship, take the list to a taxi or van driver and ask if you can do all the things on your list, agree on the time and price, and you will have a customized tour. You may have to delete some items due to time or money restrictions.

I have done the ports this way for many years and have had some wonderful experiences.

It also helps to ask the driver to show you what he likes about his home area in addition to the items on your list.

I don't book in advance for a couple of reasons. The main ones are weather and price.

Edited by swedish weave