Guy's fries... yuck !

FtWCarMan

I absolutely love Guy's burgers and French fries! Have had them on many Carnival cruises and on the 2nd voyage on the Vista in May. I am currently back on the Vista for a 12 night voyage (August) and find the burgers wonderful but the fries almost inedible!! For 4 days now I find the fries fat cut..sort of like steak fries. The oil tastes rancid and they must have run out of the special Guy's seasoning. The burgers are great but throw the fries in the garbage!

I absolutely love Guy's burgers and French fries! Have had them on many Carnival cruises and on the 2nd voyage on the Vista in May. I am currently back on the Vista for a 12 night voyage (August) and find the burgers wonderful but the fries almost inedible!! For 4 days now I find the fries fat cut..sort of like steak fries. The oil tastes rancid and they must have run out of the special Guy's seasoning. The burgers are great but throw the fries in the garbage!

So ummmm, don't eat them, nobody is forcing you to take them. Tell them just the burger. I personally don't not eat French Fries. Apparently others enjoy them or they would change them.

WE were on the June 11th Med cruise and loved the fries.They were the same as they were on other cruises and not thick cut.I would love to have a Guy's Burger and fries right now.:D

• 3 weeks later...

My 28 day cruise on the Vista has come to an end. I ate the wonderful Guy's burgers almost everyday. Unfortunately, the fries never got any better (I sampled them throughout my 3 cruises). The Guy's staff were super cool and lots of fun, but even they admitted they had problems with the fries. There were two issues: 1. the potatoes they get in Europe are not like the U.S. variety, and 2. the fry cutting machine broke and all fries had to be hand-cut resulting in some very fat "steak fries". Perhaps once the Vista makes it to the U.S. the fries will once again resemble and taste like the great Guy's fries we all know and love.

So ummmm, don't eat them, nobody is forcing you to take them. Tell them just the burger. I personally don't not eat French Fries. Apparently others enjoy them or they would change them.

Judging by the number of plates I've seen on the current Vista cruise with piles of these obnoxious potato things left uneaten I'd probably suggest many have taken your advice and not eaten them.

Have you even tried them before dismissively putting down someone's opinion?

• 3 weeks later...
I would have to agree on the "look" of the fries. They looked like they were soaked in oil. Not very tasty.

Only had 1 burger from there, and it took no more than a few minutes.

Oily fries often mean the fryer oil temperature is too low.

My 28 day cruise on the Vista has come to an end. I ate the wonderful Guy's burgers almost everyday. Unfortunately, the fries never got any better (I sampled them throughout my 3 cruises). The Guy's staff were super cool and lots of fun, but even they admitted they had problems with the fries. There were two issues: 1. the potatoes they get in Europe are not like the U.S. variety, and 2. the fry cutting machine broke and all fries had to be hand-cut resulting in some very fat "steak fries". Perhaps once the Vista makes it to the U.S. the fries will once again resemble and taste like the great Guy's fries we all know and love.

That was going to be my guess. Potato varieties are different in Europe. Uneven fry sizes mean hand cutting or using a different machine. Oily fries indicate too low of temperature but also tasting the oil means the thicker sized fries had to cook longer and soaked up more oil, which is probably the case here. Once they are back stateside and repair the cutting machine, things should revert back to normal.