Pros and Cons: Travel agent vs RCCL directly

DT1304

I'm way too controlling to give up control over my reservation. I want to be able to call and make changes, take advantage of price drops, etc. I would likely drive a TA to drink :)

Haha! Me too! I really like having control, and I also enjoy the challenge of checking for price drops, and keeping an eye out for upgrades, sometimes lateral. :)

We have started booking our cruises while on board, and have received nice obc that way. (For our 2017 cruises on X, booked while on board, we received generous obc $550 and $600, grats, drink packages, and internet.)

I have used a TA on about 5 of 30 cruises. They have never found a price drop but I do. I have gotten minimal OBC most of the time not enough to pay even for tips. Therefore I manage all our cruises.

I would love to find a great TA who was available even on weekends ( which in the past have been when I find deals - not so ,inch anymore). I can give up control for enough perks or group rates but haven't found anyone like that yet. I now book on board and get at least some OBC.

Too bad for someone out there since we cruise 2-3 times a year, took 11 of us in May. I'd like to share the business. None of our friends cruise as much as we do. Friends and co workers all come to me for information on cruises.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

On all 4 of my previous cruises I used a TA. Never had a problem with them (3 different agents) but also never got any of the OBC or perks.

I made my booking ysterday directly with the cruiseline. Still have not got anything special but will keep looking around and if an agent comes along with an offer for the same cruise that I cant refuse, then I will cancel my booking and rebook with the TA.

Thanks again everyone.

What many on CC don't mention is the TYPE of cabin they book. A TA has a lot of $flexibility to offer perks if you are in one of the more expensive cabins or on a premium cruise line. Less expensive options don't usually have the wiggle room for a TA to offer very much in the way of perks.

You need to know who you are getting your advice from. Are you are a "frugal" cruiser or a more extravagent cruiser?

What many on CC don't mention is the TYPE of cabin they book. A TA has a lot of $flexibility to offer perks if you are in one of the more expensive cabins or on a premium cruise line. Less expensive options don't usually have the wiggle room for a TA to offer very much in the way of perks.

You are correct for the most part.

Expensive suites do get the best perks.

However we get gratuities & OBC for balconies & the kids inside room also.

So it is definitely still worth it...

Blocked rooms from a travel agency are great. We wanted 4 outside balcony staterooms on the Harmony. The TA I use had blocked rooms. When I called they had 1 left where you could pick your room and the rest were guarantee. He called me back an hour later and they were able to get me 4 balcony side by side for the blocked room rate. Plus free prepaid gratuities, dinner for 2 per stateroom and $50 obc loyalty credit. As of todays rates, I have saved 1400 per stateroom plus the extras.

Our first 2 cruises were with a TA. After I learned the ropes myself, I decided I could do a much better job than the TA. We book our next cruise while we're onboard and get the OBC for that next cruise (we never take the OBC immediately). We pick the cabin we want without being stuck in a block of cabins. If I want to add something, or have a question, or make a change, I call the Crown & Anchor group in Eugene and get it done without having to go through a TA. I, like several other posters, am too controlling and want full control over my reservations. :)

Guest maddycat
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

On all 4 of my previous cruises I used a TA. Never had a problem with them (3 different agents) but also never got any of the OBC or perks.

I made my booking ysterday directly with the cruiseline. Still have not got anything special but will keep looking around and if an agent comes along with an offer for the same cruise that I cant refuse, then I will cancel my booking and rebook with the TA.

Thanks again everyone.

You can transfer your booking from RCI to a TA within 60 days of the initial deposit. So, if you find a TA that you like within that time frame you will not have to cancel your reservation.

There are websites out there that let travel agents compete for your business. You just put in what cruise you want then you will get back lots of offers from T/A. Used these sites to get many of my cruises, My Summit cruise, we paid $1099pp for a balcony and will get $250 OBC plus the $300 obc and drink package from Celebrity. Can't beat that. :D

TA can give you better priceses (some times only if they have a group rate) and will ALLWAYS give you OBC. as long as they are good you can get the same as with Royal and unlike royal they have contacts to get the TRUE answer when you call. Also if say your agent is closed and you need to do something you can get a supervisor at royal to override and make changes directly with out dealing with your agent. I have done it years ago on a sat night for a cruise that was leaving the next day

I've done a couple of cruises using a TA and some without. Honestly, I have not found a big advantage of using one. I've NEVER gotten an OBC when using a TA and the price of the cruise was the same as booking it directly. The only perk I've ever gotten from a TA is a bottle of champagne and a welcome reception. I think the one advantage of having a TA is if there are any issues or problems. I've now done enough cruises where I'd just prefer to book it directly with the cruise line.

• 4 months later...

Hello there...I actually joined this forum to answer TA question for myself...especially since we are much closer to our chosen cruise date than I'm guessing folks normally book.

I'm finding the prices online, even through the warehouse travel services, are nearly the same...even the "perks" and "rewards" are almost identical. What does change is the final payment date. How flexible are TAs with payments?

TA's are allowed to "rebate" up to 10% of the cruise fare as onboard credit. They have to round down to the nearest increment of $25.

Depending on the sailing, they may be able to offer an additional $25-$100 per cabin that comes by adding you to a group.

If it's more than a few months before your sail date, it's also possible that adding you to a group will also result in a lower base fare.

So, usually an agent *can* get you a lower price, it's just a matter of if yours will. In my experience, the warehouse-style websites don't usually add much value. Many will only offer the additional $25-$100 that comes from forming a group.