Interesting....."Seafood Corner" now on the Conquest

happy cruzin

I bet it will be delicious. The pub grub coconut shrimp and conch balls are so good! I love that I can eat for free anytime but still pay a bit extra for higher quality if I want to. Many people complained the fish and chips were too greasy. I bet these will be great quality. I want to keep the tickets lower so I don't mind paying for extras and a bit of excellence. Then it's my choice of it fits in my budget.

Edited by smyliecruising

I assume it's different fish and chips but I could be wrong.

The fish and chips on Carnival (we have had it on other Conquest class ships but not actually Conquest) was abhorrent. I sincerely hope the cost one is better but I'd never get it after having the free version, which was lower quality than Long John Silvers (and we very much enjoy Carnival free and paid food in general...I even liked the ceviche style cups in the Fish&Chips but they just didn't do the actual fish properly). Haven't seen pics of the new fish yet, but shame on them if they don't upgrade it and still charge!

how many different ways can they do fish and chips? Not too many.

It was not Carnival that started the slippery slope, that is for sure. That said, to be honest, the wife and I had a conversation the other day on whether we thought the Seafood Shack was popular enough to stay. In regards to your last point, there is not a chance in hades......

I hope you are right on that last point.

I get it.... We did try it and while it was good not sure we would do again. What did appear to be a BIG hit was people sitting around the aft pool in the afternoon with friends ordering as snacks with their beers.

JH used to make fun of RCCL charging for steaks in DR and now CCL is charging for more and more things.

When we did the Pride relocation cruise last year saw the Sushi place for first time and it was almost always dead.

Usually more crew was eating there than passengers.

Hoping people vote with their feet and stay away from the increasing pay for venues or it will get worse and worse.

Look on the bright side, the old fish and chips is now a BBQ joint. [emoji106]

However I hate fish, I hate the smell of seafood and now the aft pool will reek like <insert something very politically incorrect, your choice of words>

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LoL, different strokes for different folks. I don't like the smell of meat cooking on grills/bbqs, yes I know I am weird, yet the smell of seafood does not offend me. I guess it all evens out. Actually good fresh seafood should not smell strong.

Edited by SMSACE6

I live in Central Florida and we certainly have plenty of coastline, however, it is not uncommon to see $12 lobster rolls here or $4-5 clam chowder. These prices are consistent with what I would see on land and I'm sure my DH would pay for the Clam Strip Bucket (if it was good), BUT I do not think they should be charging for the items that were previously FREE !!!!!!

I agree it's consistent with land pricing but that's my issue. If you read my post, I consider a food upcharge worth getting if it's worth 2x (twice) its value since it's being subsidized by my fare. The steakhouse would be more than $35 on land, Cucina more than $15, pub grub at RF more than $3.33, room service more than $2-6, etc. Those all have great, competitive pricing (and the specialty restaurants still don't fill up at peak times all the time, in my experience) and I avail myself of them on every cruise. The pricing here puts it outside of my "try it" range, for the value of these food items with counter service.

No way I'd pay $24 for a lobster roll, but I would pay $70 for a three course, high quality, good atmosphere steak dinner. I'm not sure you read the post you quoted of mine because you then cited land prices as around the same as this menu. I agree they are, and that's the issue. Every other upcharge besides drinks (which is its own cuppa and we happily get Cheers to deal with the that, which now is also a great value) is affordable and appropriately priced as an add-on value to my existing fare. This is the same as I could get at home (if matching quality and it won't be better, plus it's counter service) for about the same price. Not good as an upcharge really. Just my opinion, of course, but if they lowered prices by 2-4 dollars (depends on item and quantity) or created a non ala carte menu, they would have our business on a ship but not at these prices. And we are avid upcharge dining people usually.

how many different ways can they do fish and chips? Not too many.

It's not about ways to do them but food quality (fish, batter, oil all have quality variations, especially fish), amount and type of breaking, and cook time. Fish and chips seem uncomplicated but I have found few places do them amazing (some do!) in the US at least. Carnival literally had the worst fish and chips I have had. Worse than fast food. I am an avid fish and chips lover (when done right) and try them at many places. Big variations in quality.

Carnival (free) fish and chips had weird breading (almost more like corn dog breading but not quite that thick, still too thick), with no spice or flavoring in the breading, too much breading to fish ratio, poor quality whitefish, and were fried too long in some cases (we tried them 3 times, cook time didn't seem to be an issue 1 of the 3 times). Just my experience. Also, yes, they are more greasy than good quality fish and chips (the greasy debate) though that's not my primary issue. The flavorless breading and bad fish quality were the big problems. (Fried doesn't mean greasy! People think it does because many low cost fried foods are greasy but there are an array of restaurants where you can get great, fried food and lots of foods that are fried but not greasy. Heavy and fattening still but not physically greasy.)

So they could've improved the, by a wide margin, though no idea if they have.

It's not about ways to do them but food quality (fish, batter, oil all have quality variations, especially fish), amount and type of breaking, and cook time.

call me a cynic if you wish, but when I see the fried fish and chips, fried shrimp, and fried clam strips on the menu I am anticipating they will be from large commercial vendors; pre-made and flash frozen, "heat and eat" from a fryer. The only real variable will be how fresh the oil is (can make a big difference). I am not expecting fresh on board seafood to be breaded and made daily.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I would be really surprised to be so.

call me a cynic if you wish, but when I see the fried fish and chips, fried shrimp, and fried clam strips on the menu I am anticipating they will be from large commercial vendors; pre-made and flash frozen, "heat and eat" from a fryer. The only real variable will be how fresh the oil is (can make a big difference). I am not expecting fresh on board seafood to be breaded and made daily.

But....that might make it worth the cost!

Can't say, I can tell you that there was def fresh fish at the sea food shack on the Vista.

Sent from my iPhone

If I recall correctly (it's been about a year since I was on Conquest), the food station where this seafood place is now was almost always closed except maybe for breakfast. If that's the case, then I'm all for offering another option for those willing to pay for it. I'm not one of those people, but it's nice to have options instead of closed food stations. :)

On the bright side, I look forward to trying the new BBQ place when I'm on Conquest again in April! :D I enjoyed the fish n chips but I won't miss it, especially if the BBQ place has good food.

Can't say, I can tell you that there was def fresh fish at the sea food shack on the Vista.

Sent from my iPhone

I would expect the bread for the breadbowl to be fresh.

I would expect anything market price to also be fresh.

Anything fried (clam strips, shrimp, calamari, crab cake sliders) I expect to be commercially frozen items.

Not really any different than how many seafood restaurants operate.

I would expect the bread for the breadbowl to be fresh.

I would expect anything market price to also be fresh.

Anything fried (clam strips, shrimp, calamari, crab cake sliders) I expect to be commercially frozen items.

Not really any different than how many seafood restaurants operate.

Sounds about right to me.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't know what I'm expecting. If it was fresh fish and chips, then the $6 might be worth it but I am, like you, not assuming it's good quality all around. The lobster is altogether overpriced, as is the clam chowder, but the fish actually isn't priced badly for AMAZING fish and chips. Lobster rolls are the same price on land though! I guess people just go nuts for lobster and that's what they're counting on.

I do agree with you and doubt it will be amazing. But your comment as to how different it "could" be is what I was replying to. In theory, it could be WAY better because it was pretty awful before (the actual fish and chips...I liked a few things at the old F&C venue). I have seen pics of the lobster and soup but none of the "new fried seafood so no data at all to judge on. It'd take a lot, at this point, for me to pay fo fish and chips on a Carnival ship after taking a few bites of the old stuff multiple times and being unable to eat it because it was so bad (only thing on ship I can think of that was this way except dishes I knew I might not like due to personal tastes).

I would definitely try it......

I don't think $12 is unreasonable for a lobster roll, and I live in Connecticut.:D

Also would try the clam strips for 5 bucks......

It's just another option....

Nobody's holding a gun to your head......

Still plenty of free food...:D

I wonder why they didn't call it the Seafood Shack, like on the Vista.

I would think they'd want to keep the same restaurant names fleetwide. No?

Edited by KPfromCT

I would definitely try it......

I don't think $12 is unreasonable for a lobster roll, and I live in Connecticut.:D

Also would try the clam strips for 5 bucks......

It's just another option....

Nobody's holding a gun to your head......

Still plenty of free food...:D

I wonder why they didn't call it the Seafood Shack, like on the Vista.

I would think they'd want to keep the same restaurant names fleetwide. No?

Good question, wondered that as well.

Sent from my iPhone

The last time we were on a ship with the fish place the fish was not good at all. DH will miss the ceviche, though.

I could see trying a couple of these items. I love buffalo shrimp, but it's not often that I find it on a menu here. When I do, it's an appetizer (which would probably make it the same size as this serving) and it's rarely less than $9.00. Also, DH loves fried clam strips, but those are not seen in too many places either. At $5.00 that's pretty reasonable.

I'm looking at the prices and comparing them to resorts or vacation areas. Fried clam strips can be found in various locations in Savannah, but not for less than $13 - $18. We recently stayed at a Hilton Resort where we paid $15 each for a burger - I'm sure the seafood was more.

I think it's great to have more options. We never pay for the steakhouse, Cucina, or the pay entrees in the DR, but we have bought snacks from the Red Frog Pub.

So this is a clear sign that they think that the Seafood Shack on the Vista is a hit.

I'm so happy about this, honestly.

Don't stone me but I love all the extra specialty restaurants. I'm a foodie and I love trying new things all the time and I don't mind paying for anything that enhances my vacation experience.

The one specialty restaurant I envy is NCL's Food Republic. I hope there's something like it on the Horizon :o

I might try it, but hopefully it would be consistently good and fresh tasting now that we pay for it. Interesting changes on the Conquest. I wonder if they will be doing this on all conquest class ships.

Since they are making changes to Conquest, I wish they would put a Serenity deck in.

Yep, and also Mongolian Wok. Why she doesn't have the Wok (and Serenity), since she IS the class ship, is a mystery for the ages.

If I recall correctly (it's been about a year since I was on Conquest), the food station where this seafood place is now was almost always closed except maybe for breakfast. If that's the case, then I'm all for offering another option for those willing to pay for it. I'm not one of those people, but it's nice to have options instead of closed food stations. :)

Correct. That used to be the late-night hot-dog and whatever grill, but it was closed and never opened during my cruise on Conquest last October.

However, Pizza Pirate expanded their menu to include lasagna after 11 pm -- and it was quite good! Very few people noticed that offering.

On the bright side, I look forward to trying the new BBQ place when I'm on Conquest again in April! :D I enjoyed the fish n chips but I won't miss it, especially if the BBQ place has good food.

I'll be on Conquest again in October. Really looking forward to the BBQ place, which is another FREE (i.e., "included") option on Carnival.

At least when they're nickle-ing and diming us to death, they offer us back a couple of nickles. :)