Beverage Package upgrade options

jcarruthers

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. My wife and I are cruising on Solstice in January 2017 - Sydney to New Zealand. As part of our booking we have an included Classic Beverage package, which for the most part might be fine. I however like my craft beers which generally are only available on the Premium package. Our TA has said that for me (only) to upgrade would cost $A377! Is it possible for me to simply order the beers I like and charge the difference (between Classic limit and actual cost) to my pass card?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. My wife and I are cruising on Solstice in January 2017 - Sydney to New Zealand. As part of our booking we have an included Classic Beverage package, which for the most part might be fine. I however like my craft beers which generally are only available on the Premium package. Our TA has said that for me (only) to upgrade would cost $A377! Is it possible for me to simply order the beers I like and charge the difference (between Classic limit and actual cost) to my pass card?

With the Classic package anything over the package limits is charged at full menu price plus 18% gratuity. With the Premium package you only pay the differential plus 18% (on the differential only). Most of the drinks I prefer are above the Classic package limits so upgrading to Premium is a no-brainier for me.

That upgrade price seems high. The price difference from the Classic to the Premium package is roughly US $11.50 pp per day, just over the cost of one top craft beer. Are you sure your TA has only quoted for you to upgrade. I always upgrade a free classic package. Much more choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

The price your TA isn't correct unless you are in a really long cruise! It's very easy to upgrade once on board. I would wait until you board, look at the menus and ensure that the upgrade is worth it to you. You can even wait a day or two to upgrade. Just ask at any bar, or if you do it on day boarding, there's a table set up in the atrium.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Your agent is amiss. The upgrade cost is $10.00 US + 18% grat = $11.80 per day per person. Times the total days of your cruise = the cost to upgrade. The A$ exchange rate can't be that bad, is it?

PS:

I am a craft beer person too, and have upgraded the last 3 cruises.

That is $289 US which seems high unless your cruise is 24 days long that is high. The upgrade cost is $11.80 per person per day. If your cruise is around 12 days they must have given you a price for two people. If your TA does not catch their error you should wait until you get on board to upgrade. If you like the higher costs beers it is worth it IMO. It will allow you to purchase even more expensive beers by just paying the difference if you have the Premium package. As stated this is not true with only the Classic package.

Enjoy your cruise and beer.

You can wait until you are on the ship to do any upgrades. You might want to wait until the second or third day to do it....unlike some lines, Celebriry pro-rates the price. On embarkation day you might not get much use of an upgrade, so no need to pay for that day. Use it to investigate all your options. Maybe the drinks available on the Classic package will do, and there won't be any need to upgrade at all.