Princess Wifi on northern Transatlantic

gwenmarie

Anyone have experience using ship wifi on several sea days? We are leaving from Copenhagen early September arriving in NYC Sept 24 our daughter works from computer. She will buy extra minutes if the connection is fairly good most days. Thanks

Anyone have experience using ship wifi on several sea days? We are leaving from Copenhagen early September arriving in NYC Sept 24 our daughter works from computer. She will buy extra minutes if the connection is fairly good most days. Thanks

We have used it all over Europe and on several TA's.......

In our experience Wifi is hit and miss. Not to be counted on.

Just as good as Cunard Just as good as princess Alaska or Baltic or Mediterranean. This is to say not very good. I guess the USNavy with a dedicated satellite has decent performance.

Edited by tcdcruiser

3 consecutive sea days is the most I had. I had good reception at the Piazza using my tablet, but not in our cabin.

I am not sure if it's any better when you use their desktop computer at the Internet shop

It has been several years since I took that route, but as I remember it the Internet was available most, if not all, days.

Although connection may be good, that does not mean it will be speedy.

However on that route it is likely that live TV (CNN, etc.) will not be available for several days.

I agree. We've taken 7ta's, and often it works fine, but sometimes, especially during the crossing, it is very difficult or impossible to get a connection either in the computer area or on my iPad or phone. I'd hate to have to rely on it for work. I try keep in touch with my 91 yr. old mother, but she knows that there will be days when I can't get a connection.

My experience is that the internet has been available most of the time on the sea days, but can be slow to very slow. During daytime hours, the highest usage hours, I think some of the slowness is due to there being lots and lots passengers accessing the system.

Regarding wi-fi, this is just the connection to the ship's internet system. Some areas of the ship have better reception than others.

And sloooowww. Weather is a factor, too. It's best to do what work absolutely must be done when you are docking somewhere (which is a problem out on the ocean, I know). Follow the crew to WiFi spots.

A few years ago on Sea Princess lost TV and internet at the Faroes, nothing in Iceland or Greenland, reacquired near Canada. Much less traffic up there, so satellites aren't pointed right for that area. Might be a bit better now, but wouldn't count on it.