7 nights Norway - How much cash?

DjDanny32

I'm off on the 7 night Norway cruise shortly, and just wondering how much Norwegian cash people take?. I've already pre-booked my excursions (I know, I know, probably not the cheapest way), and I've got the usual travel credit cards etc.

How widely are cards accepted at the stop-off points? And how much cash have people taken for other bits and bobs?

Ta

Credit cards and ATM s will be fine. Some places may take euros if you have any but don't rely on it. Norway is expensive, we didn't need more than the odd cup of coffee. Took £40 worth that we happened to have, thinking to top up as needed and didn't spend them all.

As your trips are booked you shouldn't need that much unless you are prone to lots of shopping, which is expensive in Norway. Credit cards are taken almost everywhere in Norway, even for small amounts, not sure about the charges though. I always prefer to buy bits and bobs and the odd coffee and cake with cash. I would take approx £50 worth if I was in your situation. If you have GBP you can change on the ship or local cash machines but you probably will get a poor exchange rate. Enjoy your cruise, Norway is one of my favourites.

I've yet to use a contactless card outside the UK, tbh. I've only just started using it regularly in the UK in the last 6 months or so, so I wouldn't rely on it.

What I would recommend, tho, is the Travelex Supercard - https://www.travelex.co.uk/services/supercard - (no, I'm not paid to advertise it!).

It isn't a credit card in its own right - it acts as a sort of go-between in between the foreign merchant and your UK credit card, and automagically charges your normal UK credit card in pounds, using the best exchange rate available at the time of the transaction, with no fees.

To the foreign merchant it's just like any other Mastercard, but you can link it to any UK card of your choice (even a debit card), so if you've got a rewards card of some sort, you can earn points on all your foreign purchases, too.

In answer to the question, how much cash for Norway? My answer would be, a lot. Considering doing Norwegian fjords, but not now. We had Oslo as port of call on recent Baltic cruise, equivalent to £17 for two small beers. But seriously my I once again recommend the Halifax clarity card, no charges for purchases or Free ATM machines. I took no cash for either Oslo, stockholm or Copenhagen

Agree with other posters re the Clarity Card - it not only comes with no transaction charges but in our experience gives a fantastic exchange rate which is far better than any comparable rate we've seen on the High Street. I think Martin Lewis once described it as 'near perfect' bank exchange rate.

You will find that most Tourist Shops accept Euros & Sterling. Also Credit Cards are widely accepted. The last three Norway Cruises I haven't found the need to take local currency. All Ports are geared up for Tourists & welcome other currencies. But be warned Norway is very expensive for food & drink!.

Yeah, I'm not thinking of buying much. Like you say, a coffee and a few souvenirs, really. I just figured somewhere like Flam is so small and remote that shops wouldn't take cards?

Flam maybe small but after the train, there are knitwear shops, and knitwear shops and ooh knitwear shops. Some of the knitwear is very very very expensive, some of it not so.

Also keep all your receipts. At your last port of call someone will come on board and refund the tax on anything you have purchased, over a certain amount, that I have forgotten!!!!

Flam maybe small but after the train, there are knitwear shops, and knitwear shops and ooh knitwear shops. Some of the knitwear is very very very expensive, some of it not so.

Also keep all your receipts. At your last port of call someone will come on board and refund the tax on anything you have purchased, over a certain amount, that I have forgotten!!!!

There is also a small micro brewery / pub on the quayside in Flam which although expensive is well worth a visit if you like your beer.

No sure about plastic. Do a search for Aegir brewery and pub Flam and look at their website and reviews website.

Ah yes, I've heard of them. I will probably pop in, but the ridiculous thing is, their beer will be cheaper to buy in the UK, rather than direct from them!

Ah yes, I've heard of them. I will probably pop in, but the ridiculous thing is, their beer will be cheaper to buy in the UK, rather than direct from them!

But it will taste much better there and the internal decor of the pub makes it worth a visit.

We are off to Norway in a couple of days on Azura. We have cruised several times in Norway and usually take around £200 in Krona. It's always far too much, but you never know one day we might find something irresistible. We used cash for the trains in Bergen a couple of years ago to visit a stave church and for the train from Trondheim to Hell! If you have already booked your excursions you probably don't need much money at all, just enough for coffee and cakes or maybe (if the sun shines) ice creams. As others have said already, cards are accepted in most places

Just back from a Norwegian cruise and although I've been before, I could not recall what some things cost but as I am just back I can remember some of the prices. I paid about £3 for a small bottle of sparkling water in a 7-Eleven store and in a shopping centre cafe/bakery that had some small tables nearby to sit at I paid £8.50 for a small cappuccino and a pastry.

So - expensive but I was on holiday and knew it was expensive to eat and drink ashore and just bought what I wanted.