Hotels in Sydney?

There are many threads on hotels here. Just takes a little research.

There are many good hotels in Sydney. However, in the downtown area, "reasonable" can be challenging. You need to define your version.

With two weeks, traveling is an easy option. Great Barrier Reef? Canberra? Elsewhere?

You may be better off to look for a short term rental or apartment than a hotel, a "reasonable" hotel will set you back over $300 a night.

However if you find something contact them direct and ask for a better price if you are staying two weeks.

Not sure which dates you're sailing, but right now some of the very popular travel websites are selling rooms for much less than $300 USD.

I cannot mention those sites here because they also sell cruises.

Assuming that you are disembarking at the OPT at Circular Quay, & decide to explore away from Sydney....there are rental cars available near the Marriott Hotel on Pitt Street.

Meriton Serviced Apartments are a good option. Google them and take a look at their site, you'll be able to see that they offer lots of locations and some of them are very reasonably priced. They're self contained apartments with kitchen facilities. For a 2 week stay, that might be a nice option to have rather than relying on eating out for every meal. The Zetland location in particular can be well priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be opting for a shorter stay in Sydney, perhaps a week only and spending some time elsewhere. Perhaps fly to Uluru or Darwin to see the Kakadu NP or even up to Cairns for the Great Barrier Reef if your cruise doesn't go up the Queensland coast.:D

Personally if I had a couple weeks to work with I would do a little traveling as others have said. There are some reasonable places in Sydney, and the group buying websites often have good discounted rooms available including places that allow you to book multiple nights and book back to back to extend your stay. That being said, anything in the middle of the city is pricey and probably not as viable for a long time. A few days would be excellent to get a feel for the city, see a few museums or sights, take a few ferry rides around the harbour, etc. I'd recommend group vouchers for places like the Tank Stream hotel (A fairly newly renovated boutique style hotel with some nice added extras like freebies in the mini bar and pod coffee machines and is situated in the midst of pretty much everything) or contacting other small boutique places in the city. When I'm in the city for work, I've stayed in Castlereagh boutique hotel, Pensione, or Park8 which are centrally located and close to transport. All the ones I've mentioned are smaller places with character which is just my preference.

The Blue Mountains, Lithgow, Bathurst, or Orange are all within reach to the West and offer different views of the country at much more affordable prices than the city. The Blue Mountains are essentially a collection of villages each with their own personality, and the bushwalking and views nearby are simply breathtaking. I'm happy to offer further information if you're interested. The other places I mentioned are country towns, Lithgow is little and is at the end of the major Sydney rail line. Bathurst is a great place to visit if you're into motor racing at all and is a larger country town. Orange is a foodie's heaven with lots of vineyards and cafes around with a big focus on local producers. There are small towns between them like Rydal if you really want to get a feel for a quiet country village for a couple days. Again, if you want more info feel free to ask as I'm living in the midst of it all and have been part of the area for 20+ years.

You could also head north or south along the coast and spend some time in a beachy area like the central coast, Kiama, or Bateman's Bay regions. The trains can be a little more difficult than heading west, but not impossibly so. The Hunter Valley is nearby, too, and is a great wine region. I'm not sure of the public transport options to that area, but there are certainly plenty of tour buses that head out there.

Have you thought about hiring a car for a week or so? Instead of flying into Sydney why not fly into Cairns or Brisbane? If you picked up a car in Cairns you'd be really confident driving on the wrong side of the road by the time you reached Sydney :) Or after exploring the Great Barrier Reef area you could fly into Sydney and explore the city for a few days before your cruise.

If you'd rather fly into Sydney then the Blue Mountains are a great area to explore and as someone mentioned the food/wine/history district of Orange/Bathurst is a terrific road trip. If you want to explore some of the coast head south. The roads are far less congested.

We are doing two cruises in Australia, and we have two weeks between them, rather flying back home (Can) we decided to stay there. Anyone know of a good hotel down there? Reasonable price.

Thanks

hello there,

don't know if this info is to late for you but here goes.

when we do cruises out of Sydney(we are Australians living in queensland) we fly down to Sydney and stay in a hotel called '' the Sydney hotel cbd''.the staff are really nice, and it is smack bang in the centre of Sydney, in a nice safe area with coffee and eatery shops all around you.the rooms are spotless and taxi rank 50mtrs away on the corner.the rooms are small but very clean. around $135.00 per night for two people.i know there are plenty of hotels in Sydney but when we go we are out and about most of the time.

if you google the name above they respond quickly to e.mails

so you get the right hotel the address is

the Sydney hotel cbd

kent house

88 Liverpool st

Sydney

nsw 2000

hope this may help

As you do not mention the destinations of both the cruises you are doing it is hard to recommend other areas of Australia to visit. However I would certainly reconsider staying in Sydney for the whole two weeks. Sure you could have a wonderful time in Sydney for two weeks however you would miss out on seeing a bit more of Australia while you are here. If you do decide to stay in Sydney I would definitely recommend an apartment for the two weeks rather than a hotel room. Prices are comparable and the stay is more comfortable.

Edited by happysnapper

• 3 weeks later...
Meriton Serviced Apartments are a good option. Google them and take a look at their site, you'll be able to see that they offer lots of locations and some of them are very reasonably priced. They're self contained apartments with kitchen facilities. For a 2 week stay, that might be a nice option to have rather than relying on eating out for every meal. The Zetland location in particular can be well priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, stayed in Meriton Apartments in Pitt St, couple of times and booked again for December after the long flight post cruise from LAX. Quiet and roomy.

Edited by NSWP