Morally..... Aft disabled balcony on Getaway

Aunu

Would you take a handicap parking spot because it was closer to the store? I would not take the room.

It's not the same. Parking spaces require an accessible parking placard. Cruise lines have accessible cabins, which means they're available for disabled cruisers, but you don't have to be disabled to book them. It's like bathrooms for the disabled--they have to have them, but you don't have to be disabled to use them.

That said, I wouldn't book a HC room (and I have an accessible parking placard). I don't need the extra room and I wouldn't feel right about booking it when someone with mobility issues would need the extra room. If an able-bodied person books because they want the extra room, they have to live with that decision. I wouldn't do it.

I have mentioned this in other threads on the topic, but just a reminder that the furniture/layout is different in accessible cabins - in addition to the bathroom as has been pointed out. Below are photo examples from the Breakaway:

Regular Aft Balcony (Sofa/Pullout Seating)

28514955983_d3c50636b2.jpg

Accessible Aft Balcony (One chair)

29100956666_05a9903e82.jpg

Regular Balcony Bathroom (Upper/Lower Shelf Storage)

28345020813_3ae8ccd8dc.jpg

Accessible Balcony Bathroom (NO Storage)

28342486704_27a45b8a6b.jpg

Hopefully these photos help those considering accessible cabins (whether you need these accommodations or not) to have an idea what to expect.

For our first cruise on the Gem I had booked a GTY balcony, and NCL gave us a handicapped cabin. I was very embarrassed that people would think that I had actually booked this cabin, and felt the need to explain to the steward that NCL had assigned it to us. It was also embarrassing because the people in the adjoining HC cabin actually were handicapped. (OK, so maybe I embarrass too easily :rolleyes:)

But personally I would never book a HC cabin, just as I would never park in a handicapped spot.

OP Here.....

I already have an aft balcony so I'm happy with what I have and will stay there. My cruise is 6 months out. I liked the idea of the bigger room and balcony but would certainly not want to take it away from someone who needs it. Im on the 11th deck and am very happy with my room and balcony.

Kudo's for booking a standard cabin. I guess no one read your reply....they just keep going and going and going. So sorry you had to go thru all of the bashing. I realized the innocence of your original post and you did not know. Just don't ask: "where can I smoke" HAHAHAHAHA :) Have a great cruise.

Oh man thanks for the tip! Wife and I just booked this cabin! It'll be the biggest one we have ever had!

You really know how to impress the ladies - she's a lucky girl! :rolleyes:

You: "Hey honey, I just booked us the biggest cabin ever!!"

Wifey: "You got us a SUITE?! Oh wow!!"

You: "No, I got you a DISABLED cabin! Yes, that's right - I'm your prince!"

LMAO!

You really know how to impress the ladies - she's a lucky girl! :rolleyes:

You: "Hey honey, I just booked us the biggest cabin ever!!"

Wifey: "You got us a SUITE?! Oh wow!!"

You: "No, I got you a DISABLED cabin! Yes, that's right - I'm your prince!"

LMAO!

Well she is disabled so...

But I am just kidding, I didn't book it lol

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

My wife is disabled and has balance and stamina issues, so she uses a rollator (wheeled walker with a seat; you've seen them) outside the cabin. Her main need with an accessible cabin is the grab bars in the bathroom and shower.

On our first cruise there were accessible cabins available but they charged a bit more for them and I was being stubborn and refused to pay extra. In hindsight, I should have. On the second we had one but we did a last minute upgrade to a Mini-Suite.

We booked our next month cruise after final payment due to a late invite from CAS. I called and they had offered us an OV and had one accessible left. We didn't quite have the funds together, so we held off until the next week and then found that the accessible and all OVs were gone. So we did get an accessible Inside; we'll see how that goes.

But we have never been asked for any kind of disability proof. We do have a wheelchair arranged for embarkation/disembarkation, maybe that has something to do with it.

As I'm typing this, I'm thinking maybe I want to give CAS a call and see if any accessible OVs have opened up, as we had to give up a second promo by accepting the Inside.

I called CAS and they did have an accessible OV available, so we swapped. That entitles us to a second promo so we went with free gratuities. :D

The rep promised me there would be no charge for the change, but after I hung up I went to the website and it's asking me to make a payment! It seems that the admin fee has now increased by two cents per person! LOL I'll pay the four cents as I don't want their system to cancel the cruise or something equally silly, but I think Visa will charge them more than that to process the payment. Oh well.

I called CAS and they did have an accessible OV available, so we swapped. That entitles us to a second promo so we went with free gratuities. :D

The rep promised me there would be no charge for the change, but after I hung up I went to the website and it's asking me to make a payment! It seems that the admin fee has now increased by two cents per person! LOL I'll pay the four cents as I don't want their system to cancel the cruise or something equally silly, but I think Visa will charge them more than that to process the payment. Oh well.

Sure you don't want to protest it and rant and rave?! Think how much mileage you could get. You could start a number of threads about NCL not living up to their word! ;););)

Seriously though, I'm glad that worked out for you.

It's not the same. Parking spaces require an accessible parking placard. Cruise lines have accessible cabins, which means they're available for disabled cruisers, but you don't have to be disabled to book them. It's like bathrooms for the disabled--they have to have them, but you don't have to be disabled to use them.

You guys are taking this a little too literally. If I pull up to a store where I plan to be there an hour, and take a handicap spot, then for the hour I'm there, if a legit handicap person needs it, it will be a. Unavailable and b. I'll be unaware that it's needed. Same situation on the cruise ship. You are booking the cabin to use for the week. And since they don't request proof of disability, have no idea how they would know who to ask to move in case a wheelchair bound person needs the room. So no, nothing like the couple of minutes you might be in a handicap bathroom.

This is what guarantee bookings are for, yes the room will sail occupied, but by the time guarantees get assigned it will be pretty safe to assume that anyone who needed the handicap room was able to get one. And if a last minute issue pops up, then ncl will know that the person was assigned to the room, not that they requested it, and can be safely moved.

Theres an aft disabled balcony available for the cruise im booked on and was thinking about switching. Morally i would feel bad taking it because I don't need it. Its a really big room with a big balcony.

What would you do? :(:(:(

See below

It's not the same. Parking spaces require an accessible parking placard. Cruise lines have accessible cabins, which means they're available for disabled cruisers, but you don't have to be disabled to book them. It's like bathrooms for the disabled--they have to have them, but you don't have to be disabled to use them. [
See below

As a result of the United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines. a Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective on January 1, 2012 that applies to all cruises embarking from a USA Port which requires cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . Some of the key points to this new law are:

• (g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—
  • (1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.
  • (2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Under this law the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past and any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking or if it was assigned by the Cruise Line against a "Guaranteed Booking" after the final payment has past.

NCL does require that the individual complete a Special Needs Form to validate their need for any the accessible cabin. If the individual falsely attests to the need for booking an accessible cabin and the Cruise Line can prove it not only will you be moved but the cruise line may possibly have the right to ban you from that cruise as well as future cruises. Know that not only will NCL's Access Department follow up with you to verify the need for an accessible cabin if the cruise is embarking from a USA but believe when doing the on-line check you have to certify your need if it was booked prior to the final payment period. Since this law went into effect all cruise lines have checks and balances in place to help minimize fraud but unfortunately people still have the need to lie about why an accessible cabin in require. This in no why is to be interrupted that falsely attesting to the need is your intentions as I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't know about the above mention USA Federal Law.

Yes I know all about how the website allows you book an accessible cabin on line as that was why the person who started the 2 threads last week who was an able-bodied individual seeking validation for booking an accessible cabin insisted they had a right to an accessible cabin though no one in their party had a disability of any kind other than total lack of common sense. Though the NCL rep will say you can be moved if someone with a disability actually needs it contacts NCL, in reality that doesn't happened.

Edited by xxoocruiser

cruise lines let those rooms to be booked by general public close to sail dates without having proof of disability So the person booking that room in my opinion is not being "terrible" or doing something "wrong" they are booking a room the cruise line is selling to anyone. But really I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I don't think the OP needs to be too worried about it and I stand by my post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Refer to my post # 38 this thread.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thank you, xxoocruiser for making folks aware of that law! I googled to read more about it and found this interesting excerpt from:

CFR › Title 49 › Subtitle A › Part 39 › Subpart B › Section 39.39

© You may release unsold accessible cabins to persons without disabilities for their own use when all other cabins in the same class of service and price for a voyage have been reserved.

(d) If a passenger with a disability seeks to reserve an accessible cabin in a given class of service, and there is not an available accessible cabin in that class of service, but there is an available accessible cabin in a different class of service, you must allow the passenger to reserve that accessible cabin at the price of the requested class of service of the class of service in which the accessible cabin exists, whichever is lower.

Has anyone here asked NCL to do this when their requested cabin class is sold out??

xxoocruiser, I was obviously not aware there was a law governing the HC cabins. Thank you for the education! I'm gad there's a law. Shame the cruise lines don't always follow it.

Particularly NCL that has apparently not educated it's Representatives as to this law being as that this law went into effect as a result of a lawsuit brought against NCL. Very perplexing :confused:.

Though this law has helped to reduce fraud in the booking of accessible cabins, there are still able-body individuals that will falsely attest to the need for such a cabin just be cause they want the extra space and have to book a suite. Hope those individuals never find themselves with a disability and or a mobility disability that requires an accessible cabin and can't get one because an able-body person booked. Karma's an odd thing.

As a result of the United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines. a Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective on January 1, 2012 that applies to all cruises embarking from a USA Port which requires cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . Some of the key points to this new law are:

• (g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—
  • (1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.
  • (2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Under this law the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past and any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking or if it was assigned by the Cruise Line against a "Guaranteed Booking" after the final payment has past.

NCL does require that the individual complete a Special Needs Form to validate their need for any the accessible cabin. If the individual falsely attests to the need for booking an accessible cabin and the Cruise Line can prove it not only will you be moved but the cruise line may possibly have the right to ban you from that cruise as well as future cruises. Know that not only will NCL's Access Department follow up with you to verify the need for an accessible cabin if the cruise is embarking from a USA but believe when doing the on-line check you have to certify your need if it was booked prior to the final payment period. Since this law went into effect all cruise lines have checks and balances in place to help minimize fraud but unfortunately people still have the need to lie about why an accessible cabin in require. This in no why is to be interrupted that falsely attesting to the need is your intentions as I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't know about the above mention USA Federal Law.

Yes I know all about how the website allows you book an accessible cabin on line as that was why the person who started the 2 threads last week who was an able-bodied individual seeking validation for booking an accessible cabin insisted they had a right to an accessible cabin though no one in their party had a disability of any kind other than total lack of common sense. Though the NCL rep will say you can be moved if someone with a disability actually needs it contacts NCL, in reality that doesn't happened.

Thanks for the guidance.

The section of this law that I find most interesting is that NCL is required to provide an upgraded cabin AT NO ADDITIONAL COST if the requested category of accessible cabin is not available, but there are higher category accessible cabins open! That is awesome. I wonder how many people know about this. This is welcome news for disabled folks who are continually disappointed when accessible accommodations are sold out.

Anyone put this to the test yet?

More likely than not, the higher HC staterooms (incl. Haven HC) are probably sold out.

Actually, in my experience, the HC suites & Haven are usually still available when I've been told HC balconies and minis are sold out. I'm just not always willing to pay the quoted upgrade from my CAS comp. Not sure it would apply to a comp, though! :(

That might make NCL a bit more cautious before filling up the standard HC rooms...with people who don't actually need them.

Exactly! At minimum, it would make them re-check all booked HC cabins to make sure they were booked by folks in need (which they do not do now, no matter how much people want to believe they do.)

Edited by pcakes122

Thank you, xxoocruiser for making folks aware of that law! I googled to read more about it and found this interesting excerpt from:

CFR › Title 49 › Subtitle A › Part 39 › Subpart B › Section 39.39

© You may release unsold accessible cabins to persons without disabilities for their own use when all other cabins in the same class of service and price for a voyage have been reserved.

(d) If a passenger with a disability seeks to reserve an accessible cabin in a given class of service, and there is not an available accessible cabin in that class of service, but there is an available accessible cabin in a different class of service, you must allow the passenger to reserve that accessible cabin at the price of the requested class of service of the class of service in which the accessible cabin exists, whichever is lower.

Has anyone here asked NCL to do this when their requested cabin class is sold out??

I'm not sure that this applies to foreign flag cruise ships. As a part of Specter v. NCL, the Supreme Court stated, quite plainly, that only certain parts of the ADA apply to foreign flag ships. The majority opinion was that absent a clear directive from Congress (i.e. a modification to the ADA) that specifically includes foreign flag cruise ships, that the cruise lines' internal policies and practices are not subject to the ADA. So, even though 49 CFR 39.5 states that it applies to foreign flag cruise ships that pick up passengers in the US, I believe that Specter modifies the applicability. I believe the only ship this "free upgrade" would apply to is the POA as a US flag cruise ship.

I'm not sure that this applies to foreign flag cruise ships. As a part of Specter v. NCL, the Supreme Court stated, quite plainly, that only certain parts of the ADA apply to foreign flag ships. The majority opinion was that absent a clear directive from Congress (i.e. a modification to the ADA) that specifically includes foreign flag cruise ships, that the cruise lines' internal policies and practices are not subject to the ADA. So, even though 49 CFR 39.5 states that it applies to foreign flag cruise ships that pick up passengers in the US, I believe that Specter modifies the applicability. I believe the only ship this "free upgrade" would apply to is the POA as a US flag cruise ship.

Chengkp75 is correct in that the "free upgrade only applies to the Pride of America being that is sails under the USA Flags . Thus the reason there was nothing said about it my post #38 this thread

Edited by xxoocruiser