San Pedro to LAX

diane.in.ny

So ...........reviews for Prime Time Shuttle are awful

Reviews for Super Shuttle aren't a whole lot better.

Saw a recommendation for On Time and emailed off a request for quote.

Zippy shuttle has very good reviews but they are pricey compared to the others.

Three couples off the roll call trying to get together and save a few $$ getting to LAX after our cruise.

Any suggestions?

Three couples off the roll call trying to get together and save a few $$ getting to LAX after our cruise.

Any suggestions?

Check for a car service or Uber.

Any suggestions?

My honest response: I have used various shuttle companies in and around LA many, many times...Most of the time, they are pretty good--with certain caveats, of course...But, as with any high volume business, they are all going to screw up at times...AND, a lot of people who write reviews write them as either 1) as a response to being involved one of those times they screw up...or...2) just bound to be unhappy with the usual limitations...And people who are upset tend to write reviews on these things more than folks who are satisfied. The folks who are satisfied tend to go home and forget about it.

Most often, I've used a shuttle service here to go from home to LAX and back or from home to Burbank and back. I usually drive to the port. The one time I didn't drive to the port, I used a limo service...and they were terrible...We had 7 of us plus a lot of luggage for a 7 night cruise...and specifically requested a LARGE (ie 12 passenger limo)--remember, the inside of the limo is stretched, the trunk is the same size no matter how much they stretch it. This limo service sent a SMALL (ie 8 passenger) limo and we, basically, had to hold half of our luggage on our laps! So, if you uses a limo service, make sure to get a Van or SUV limo so that you have sufficient luggage space.

That said, as I've said, I don't think there's all that much wrong necessarily with the shuttle services (I usually use either Roadrunner or Super Shuttle). The biggest issue is that--when it is a SHARED shuttle-- they tend to circle the airport to wait for people to fill up the van or they make several stops on the way to getting you to where you are going. BUT, with a party of six, you can get a DEDICATED shuttle or van, not share with others, so you don't have some of those same issues.

Also, of late, for some trips for which we used to use a shuttle, we now use Uber...which is USUALLY cheaper and more efficient. Only problems are that, oftentimes, we find it hard to get Uber pick-up at LAX AND we have run into that "Surge Pricing" when the Uber charges are doubled or even tripled and are no longer an advantage over a shuttle--which is a fixed charge (remember, Uber also charges for time, so, if it's, say, rush hour, then, like a taxi, your fess may mount with time stuck in traffic).

I think Super Shuttle--or their "Execucar" service, for your purposes (ie six people) works just fine...

We have always used Super Shuttle and have been happy with them. The thing that people often forget is that it is a shared van not a private form of transportation....so yes they have to wait until they are full or reasonably full.

• 2 weeks later...

We had good service with Ontime and Coolrides. we will never use PT again after they screwed up on both ends of our booking (the post-booking email had it right so it was all on whoever there scheduled the pickups and sent the vehicle to the other location..again, two mistakes on the same booking).