Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

DH used to travel quite often to Puerto Rico for work, and I was lucky enough to travel with him there a few times (as well as having done this same fantastic itinerary).

While in or very near San Juan, most people there do speak English. HOWEVER, in most restaurants or shops they have signs posted that state that employees "only speak Spanish". Apparently, the politicians there do not want their culture to disappear, so employees are actually told not to speak English to customers. We found that most of them would speak English anyway. :rolleyes:

Post-cruise we stayed at the Caribe Hilton and walked to a Subway from there - they spoke English, but the sign was posted.

In Fajardo, where you stayed at the El Conquistador, you would have been more hard pressed to find English speakers at the fast food places or small shops (hotel employees not included).

I'm sorry but I really have to take this comment and elaborate on the contrary a little bit. As you can see in my info I am local in PR. But one of the things I enjoy the most about it is that I LOVE to be a "tourist" in my own island. Having said that, I visit San Juan more than a few times during the year since one of my hobbies is photography and as you might know San Juan is excellent for photos. I have walked all over and haven't really seen these "Spanish only" signs that you talk about. Granted, not everyone speaks at least basic English, but stating that employers actually tell employees to not speak English is not good business practice, especially in a place where you get a lot of customers that do so. Even a lot street vendors talk English.

I just saw them give away a vacation to this resort on the price is right today....swanky!! You must have found a great deal!! can't wait to hear how you like this ship. The smaller ships have never interested me, but would love to hear your perspective!! I've been using all your links to help plan our western for Christmas. thanks for all the work you do on these! Can't wait to keep reading!

Mistsugirly, I am having trouble with the reply option here when trying to include picture but anyway... The reasons you see trash can perched high are that 1) while cats and critters might get to the inside easily, dogs can't but since they are up high, the can't tip them over and make a mess with the trash inside and 2) if you noticed, the trash cans have no bags but they have a pivot mount so they are easier to empty when the time comes, sometimes into big bags or into small, mobile trash containers to transport and dispose of it.

So glad to see you doing a Fascination review. We always seem to be just a step behind you. Went on the Getaway and Pride soon after you did and got the benefit of your informative and well written reviews on those. Going on Fascination in October so now tuning in every day for this one. Excited to read the rest!

Another great review so far! Had the opportunity to stay at the Conquistador years ago, and it looks like it hasn't changed. Used to spend a bunch of time in PR back when the Navy still had their base at Roosevelt Roads and we would go down there for exercises in the Puerto Rican Op Areas! On a side note, best bio-lum I ever saw was in the north Atlantic, especially when you looked at it through night vision devices. Looking fwd to the cruise part of your review.

I did the Bioluminescent Bay in PR about 15 years ago. We took the Kayak option and it was a phenomenal experience. One of the coolest excursions I've ever done. I don't recall any other boats out on the lake/bay other than our little group of 12 kayaks, all without any lights. It was completely creepy going through the mangroves in the dark wondering what might drop on our heads from above, but by the time we got to the lake it was beautiful and the bioluminescence was very bright! our paddles literally glowed blue as did the trails of water behind each kayak. It was just like the pictures you'd posted (well, very close). It would be a shame if they are dying out, or there is too much ambient light from the city now. It used to be a fantastic experience!!

Can't wait. Loving your review.

My daughter and her husband are visiting Bio Bay next month. Can't wait to hear what they say. We cruise to San Juan next year, however we are only there for about 8 hours. All in daylight.

Please report back and let me know what they thought of it. I really have a tendency to believe that it has not fully recovered since they went away years ago or something. Even with it not being a half moon or a "perfect" condition, I would think there would be more to see. I just don't know.

I heard that a Hurricane ruined it and it hasn't recovered yet.

I was thinking I might have read something like that too but the tour guide assured me that it has fully recovered. Although, he also said that all of them are the same amount of brightness too and I really don't think I believe that either. I think it's all about the "business" so... but I think you may be right about that (or at least it might be playing a part of the problem).

Love your review so far! Im doing this Itinerary solo out of Barbados February 2018 and since the Fascination just started this itin its hard to find picture reviews so Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!! :) You always do such and awesome job! Ive read quite a few of your picture reviews in the past. They've helped me out a lot.

I was wondering if you have the funtimes for this crusie? I know its early but Im a SUPER planner like you. Its never to early to start looking forward to and planning the next adventure! :D:D

Thanks Gena

I will admit now...after going to Barbados, that's definitely a place I would like to fly to and stay a couple days and head out on a cruise ship from there. It was beautiful.

Yes, I have the funtimes for the cruise. I will post them at the beginning of each day when I get to the cruise portion. :)

As always, enjoying your review and the many pics. :)

Too bad your experience at the Biobay wasn't that great. DH and I went in November of 2003. Maybe the time of year makes a difference? Anyway, it was outstanding! I had found a calendar of the moon phases and we ended up being there on a night that was rated 'best' for viewing. We had chosen to do the kayaks and it was a blast. Seriously - pitch black all around you - except for the glow sticks attached to the kayaks. When we got to the bay, it was amazing. Stirring up the water with our oars produced a million speckles of light. When you lifted the oar out of the water you could see the glowing droplets run down. When we scared a fish under the water, you could see it race off and leave a trail of luminescence. Towards the end, we had some water in the bottom of our kayak and even that was glowing. However, we just went in February and the experience was not the same. Almost a full moon and very minimal light in the water, and nothing like we had first experienced.

I wonder if they have changed the setup with the bathrooms there? Both times I was there, it was a bit sketchy. Long lines and the bathrooms were gross, and no TP! I ended up sharing a stall with my husband in the men's because the ladies' line was just too long - we only needed it to change clothes anyway. That's nice to hear if they have spruced them up - I was always amazed how terrible they were for being in such a popular, busy spot.

See, that's the experience I wanted (you 2003 trip). But I think the year you went is probably a key to this as well. Back then I believe it was a lot brighter and then they say that people swimming in it killed them off for years. They have returned but I seriously don't think it is the same. I wish someone would report back after going during the moon phases is "perfect" for viewing and see what their thoughts are. I had read about the fish in the water glowing when they zoomed by. I had also read about scooping some up in your hands and them glowing. Your 2003 experience was everything I had read up on and did my paper on based on that experience. :(

Oh no. It's not like that at the restrooms now. It's so clean and stocked and someone outside to do that now (while collecting money of course). I never experienced any lines either.

I seriously love your reviews. So much information with your sense of humor built in. Thanks so much for doing this for everybody here.

And, please go to Alaska and do a review. I can't find anything close to a review of Alaska that has as much information as a Mitsugirly review. Pretty please?

Thank you so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

I have already discussed Alaska with the hubby for maybe next summer. (Sakari is TOTALLY against it btw :p :(). But I definitely want to do it!

YAY!! Another review from Kim. I'm excited for this as it have not heard many reviews form this itinerary. Plus I love your CCL reviews as its my preferred cruise line. Hopefully this will tide me over until we sail in Oct.

Thanks and glad you are here. CCL is probably going to become my main cruise line after our NCL Epic cruise in November this year. I only have 2 other ships on their line that I haven't sailed yet and unless something comes up with an awesome price for them, I'll probably just stick with Carnival. (I do have the new NCL ship Escape booked for late next year, but it was a booking I did while ON the cruise just to get the benefits and can be changed at any time...so not sure I'll even keep that booking). :D

I love your reviews, I feel like I am travelling along with you. All recommendations are filed for future reference. Thank you for taking the time

to report on your holidays

Thank you so much and glad you are enjoying them.

FYI I think that's what's called a Funicular railway.

Loving your review, Kim.

Thanks for letting me know. I don't think I have even heard of that word before. It was definitely "fun" and "peculiar" at the same time...so funicular it is :p (Off to look it up :D)

**after looking up that word, it states that a funicular is ran by cable and counterbalanced by each other when ascending and descending. I don't believe that was the case with these and they were separate.

Thank you!!! The sad thing is about the MSN is that a lot of it is repetitive of the BSN...same leadership/statistics/professionalism type classes that are quite BORING to write papers on. I prefer writing and reading cruise reviews LOL!!! Congrats on having almost one year down-how much longer do you have to go? You are doing an online program as well, is that correct?

Am I reading this correctly-Sakari the animal lover does NOT want to do Alaska?!?! I'm planning most of my excursions in hopes of seeing the wildlife!! I will try to share any good photos to help you entice "her" into booking a cruise there...it is a pricier one but they are a bit better in May or September FYI. I'll be on my first "older" NCL ship so that will be interesting as well.

I'm sorry that the biolum bay was less than stellar! I wouldn't sweat not being ale to get the high quality photos if you guys were at least able to see it in person, but it doesn't sound like that was the case, either. I debated doing the bio bay when I was there, but didn't have as much time, and ended up doing Toro Verde zipline park(hope you came across it)-sounds like I didn't miss much:) You guys went much further into PR, the resort looks AMAZING, and I'm sure you had a less touristy experience!

I'm definitely not going anywhere-will still follow the review up to and on vacation if possible(waiting to see how 3G service works on Alaskan cruise), but either way, I know I'll enjoy it whenever I get it!! As I said before, I'm interested to know if the Fascination has changed much(last sailed her in '07).

ABC(well, at least A and C) islands were pretty cool, I hope you guys get there soon, which I am sure you will-I envy the amount of cruises you get to do, but love reading the reviews, as a "few" other people on here seem to as well:) Enjoy reliving your pictures, and I hope your next two classes go by quickly!

Stacey

So if I ever decided to do the MSN program...it's all writing as well? Eek!

Yes, I'm doing an online program here in my state (thank goodness because if I actually had to GO to school, I probably wouldn't do it). I "should" be done with the program by next summer, but that's only because I'm only doing 3/4 semesters (because I have to take a portion of it off for CRUISING...lol...but seriously, that is why I do it).

Sakari doesn't want to go where there's no beach and it's not hot. Mermaids would probably not survive the cold weather. :p She is unaware of all of the new animals that she would see there. Trust me, I'll be informing her to get her excited about it. I mean...what choice does she have if that's where we decide to go. LOL

Following

Thanks

We do have have something else planned. We are sailing on the Conquest this February. I spotted this trip on the Fascination and jumped on it. We love the ports and I wanted a certain cabin.

The Conquest seems to be a popular ship. I will have to try it one day.

Glad to see a new review by you. I am seriously thinking about possibly doing this itinerary next year on the Fascination(or one of the Vista itineraries out of Miami.). That hotel you stated at looks huge.

Thanks. DO IT! It's a do not miss itinerary. Seriously!

The hotel we stayed at...huge does not even begin to describe it. At the end of this hotel stay, I'm going to post a MAP of this place so everyone can see just how big it really is. I didn't explore but maybe 1/4 of it.

I'm sorry but I really have to take this comment and elaborate on the contrary a little bit. As you can see in my info I am local in PR. But one of the things I enjoy the most about it is that I LOVE to be a "tourist" in my own island. Having said that, I visit San Juan more than a few times during the year since one of my hobbies is photography and as you might know San Juan is excellent for photos. I have walked all over and haven't really seen these "Spanish only" signs that you talk about. Granted, not everyone speaks at least basic English, but stating that employers actually tell employees to not speak English is not good business practice, especially in a place where you get a lot of customers that do so. Even a lot street vendors talk English.

I did not see any of those signs either. I did see signs for employment that said they were hiring only bilingual employees though.

San Juan is so beautiful and the picture opportunities. I just wish it wasn't so HOT.....over 100 degrees when we were there, and I could have wondered around a little further. I'm a picture freak! It's a beautiful place!

I just saw them give away a vacation to this resort on the price is right today....swanky!! You must have found a great deal!! can't wait to hear how you like this ship. The smaller ships have never interested me, but would love to hear your perspective!! I've been using all your links to help plan our western for Christmas. thanks for all the work you do on these! Can't wait to keep reading!

Oh how neat! I was watching this show (Married at first sight) online the other night and they sent one of the couples to PR to the Sheraton. I was super excited since we just stayed there, but it was not the same??? Is there more than one in SJ?

Mistsugirly, I am having trouble with the reply option here when trying to include picture but anyway... The reasons you see trash can perched high are that 1) while cats and critters might get to the inside easily, dogs can't but since they are up high, the can't tip them over and make a mess with the trash inside and 2) if you noticed, the trash cans have no bags but they have a pivot mount so they are easier to empty when the time comes, sometimes into big bags or into small, mobile trash containers to transport and dispose of it.

Thank you so much for sharing the reasoning behind it. I figured it had to do with some critters getting in them. I did notice that they tilt, but hadn't really noticed about the bags, but do remember (now that you mentioned it) that they didn't have any bags.

I'm really glad you have joined me with this review. Hopefully I can learn some things from you about our trip. Feel free to jump in any time if you want to elaborate or explain anything to me or others. The more knowledge the better. Puerto Rico is AMAZING!!! I can't wait to get back! The more I know going in, the better it makes the trip. :)

Thank you for sharing, love this itinerary, we have done it 3 times, twice on the Victory and once on the Valor. Want to do it again if they ever put a bigger ship back in San Juan.

Lucky you. I wish I had tried it before now. I was actually considering it on the Valor (I think) 2 years ago, but ended up on the Pride instead.

I can't wait to see your pictures from that island! :D

Coming right up. They are downloading now onto my host. :D

So glad to see you doing a Fascination review. We always seem to be just a step behind you. Went on the Getaway and Pride soon after you did and got the benefit of your informative and well written reviews on those. Going on Fascination in October so now tuning in every day for this one. Excited to read the rest!

Haha. Any chance you'll be on the Epic this year? :p That will be my next review.

Another great review so far! Had the opportunity to stay at the Conquistador years ago, and it looks like it hasn't changed. Used to spend a bunch of time in PR back when the Navy still had their base at Roosevelt Roads and we would go down there for exercises in the Puerto Rican Op Areas! On a side note, best bio-lum I ever saw was in the north Atlantic, especially when you looked at it through night vision devices. Looking fwd to the cruise part of your review.

It's a beautiful place. I wouldn't mind going on a land vacation and just staying there a week. So much to do and see there and the surrounding areas.

I did the Bioluminescent Bay in PR about 15 years ago. We took the Kayak option and it was a phenomenal experience. One of the coolest excursions I've ever done. I don't recall any other boats out on the lake/bay other than our little group of 12 kayaks, all without any lights. It was completely creepy going through the mangroves in the dark wondering what might drop on our heads from above, but by the time we got to the lake it was beautiful and the bioluminescence was very bright! our paddles literally glowed blue as did the trails of water behind each kayak. It was just like the pictures you'd posted (well, very close). It would be a shame if they are dying out, or there is too much ambient light from the city now. It used to be a fantastic experience!!

This makes me sad. :( Not for you, but for me. That's what I really wanted. That's everything I had read about.

I left off at the point where we were on the ferry and Sakari had already fallen asleep on the short ride over there. I guess she was physically preparing her body for the day to come.

As we pulled up, I started to get excited. The engines slowing down automatically woke Sakari up and she grabbed her "morphing bag" and headed toward the door.

P8130237%20copy-L.jpg

P8130238%20copy-L.jpg

GORGEOUS

P8130236%20copy-L.jpg

There were a lot of chairs and most were empty. People were really spread out that were there. I was kinda shocked that there wasn't more people here considering the size of the hotel(s) at El Conquistador. But I wasn't complaining.

You could get prime real estate in the full sun or in the shade.

P8130239%20copy-L.jpg

P8130240%20copy-L.jpg

We picked a spot in the shade and put our things down and believe it or not...the hubby headed straight for the water! (That's a first). He was HOT!

P8130241%20copy-L.jpg

I think this entire vacation has to be one of the HOTTEST vacations I have ever been on. Both on the cruise and land. But, I'm not complaining...well, at least not yet. I'm surrounded by water!

I was right on the hubbys tail and in the water in a matter of moments.

P8130242%20copy-L.jpg

P8130246%20copy-L.jpg

P8130247%20copy-L.jpg

P8130253%20copy-L.jpg

One thing I wanted to mention...this water was SUPER CLEAR. You didn't even have to stick your head under the water to see the fish or anything. Remember the review I did on Goffs Caye in Belize and I just couldn't get over how clear the water was? This water came pretty close to that. It was amazing.

P8130259%20copy-L.jpg

I see a morph coming on at the beach...

P8130264%20copy-L.jpg

Yep, she's back to her mermaid self

P8130266%20copy-L.jpg

P8130244%20copy-L.jpg

P8130262%20copy-L.jpg

P8130261%20copy-L.jpg

The area was all sandy bottom with just a few areas with a small amount of sea grass. I explored, but nothing to see there. The sand was super soft and I loved it.

After swimming for awhile, I decided I would go exploring. This seemed like such a beautiful island and I didn't want to miss anything (which I did, because it's just so big). I told the hubby to watch the mermaid and told the mermaid to stay directly in the area that daddy could see her and off I went.

This is the covered area with tables that you can eat at:

P8130269%20copy-L.jpg

P8130268%20copy-L.jpg

I noticed there was a big field with "goal nets" so I imagine you could play soccer there.

P8130271%20copy-L.jpg

P8130270%20copy-L.jpg

P8130272%20copy-L.jpg

Look right above my name stamp in the following picture. There's some type of hut up there. I can only imagine the views from up there.

P8130273%20copy-L.jpg