No library on Kdam......oh well!

lahlah57

I just love a library! And always enjoyed libraries onboard.

Nonetheless, the nook works perfectly when I travel.At least I am sure that the selection will suit me. Generally, a book is very important when we travel, no matter the form.

So is that a yay or a nay on keeping the libraries on HAL?

Does anyone have the email address of management in Seattle that we can send our concerns re Library and Lower Prom Decks on future ships?

Not sure they will pay any attention but at least I'd like to let them know that there are some and perhaps many who disagree with the elimination of a proper library and LP deck wide enough to walk and stocked with deck chairs?

When I write to Seattle I write to Mr Ashford. I always get a reply from his assistant. The address is

officeofthepresident@hollandamerica.com

I can only assume that the message will be passed on.

It just warms my librarian heart to read all these comments about reading. I was recently on the Rotterdam, spent time reading in the library every day but didn't browse the books there too much. As for me, I brought 3 paperbacks, one hardcover, and about 50 ebooks on my iPad. As I read my print books I gave them away.

We were recently on the Koningsdam. What a beautiful ship! We loved it!

It does have a very small library, near the computer station and the Explorations Cafe.

We really enjoyed looking at the huge atlas and travel books, getting ideas of where to travel next.

Oh, and I brought my Kindle loaded with books that I personally wanted to read.

I always take my Kindle Paper White. It's so light and easy to read because you can make the font size really BIG, and I can read in bed and not disturb DH.

29431605176_f304a843fc_z.jpgIMG_4181 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr"]29431605176_f304a843fc_z.jpgIMG_4181 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr[/url]

29431595496_f88baa5108_z.jpgIMG_4180 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr"]29431595496_f88baa5108_z.jpgIMG_4180 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr[/url]

29386272551_e07fbfb854_z.jpgIMG_4182 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr"]29386272551_e07fbfb854_z.jpgIMG_4182 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr[/url]

I'm pretty much the opposite now. I'm in my late 60's, been reading since I was 5, and LOVE to read. I have switched to electronic books, and am so happy I did.

My son gave me his iPhone6 when he upgraded, and I now have my Kindle library on it. Anywhere I go I have a book to read. I spend a lot of time waiting for my husband in Harbor Freight and Home Depot parking lots. I'm a happy camper out there with my iPhone music and books.

I use bookbub.com to get my books. I have over 350 books in collections on my phone, all low cost. I get a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing I have this huge choice of books to read anywhere I may happen to be in the WHOLE WORLD!! All of them handpicked by me, and quietly nestled in their little subject matter collection, just waiting for me. It's truly like taking my own customized library with me. I love it!

I switched to an ebook-reader the day they offered them with a reasonable display. At this time the kindle was not available in Europe - so a friend of mine bought one in the US and "imported" the device.

Perfect solution for me - because I was the person with very few clothing, but very heavy suitcases - I carried about 2 books per day with me. I was the person leaving a book per day at the exchange-shelf at the ships library, my travel companion was joking about that - we went to the library each and every day before dinner. And I got a panik-attack, if I was "out of books" before the end of our holiday. I called it emergency-book-shopping.

Now I carry hundred of books with me...

But I think, it is perfect for older people too - my mother loves her kindle - same reasons like me - and she is able to choose size of the letters, no need to buy the expensive books with bigger letters.

She enjoy reading "real books" at home, borrough a lot at her local library. But with reduced baggage allowances and longer trips she is very very happy with her ebookreading-device.

There is no reason why older people should not be able to use modern technology. Maybe they need some assistance the first time - but my mother (who is over 70 years old) has a smartphone too - it was her birthday wish for her 70. birthday - and - to be honest - she uses "What´s app" a lot more than I do!