No library on Kdam......oh well!

lahlah57

Have to bring my own library:(

Have cruised on Crystal a couple of times and they had a lovely library...loved it!

Have a nook and it's okay but like others have said...just not the same as the hard copy in your hands:o

Went to the goodwill and found 3 perfect books for our 2 week cruise next month! Gonna have to make room for them:rolleyes:

Once I am done with them I will leave them on board......maybe in the ridiculous room they call a travelbrary....sheesh:confused:

Darn it! We'll just take a few paperbacks for our 2 weeks on K and then just leave them for someone else. Perhaps that's not a good idea, since there is no library to leave them in! I could offer them to other passengers or crew, I guess.

Darn it! We'll just take a few paperbacks for our 2 weeks on K and then just leave them for someone else. Perhaps that's not a good idea, since there is no library to leave them in! I could offer them to other passengers or crew, I guess.

Just off the K and noticed a stack of used paperbacks in the library section where others have left them...I would have done the same had I finished my book!

Just off the K and noticed a stack of used paperbacks in the library section where others have left them...I would have done the same had I finished my book!

I think passengers should make a point of continuing the tradition of a book swap. Show HAL that, yes, books matter.

I think passengers should make a point of continuing the tradition of a book swap. Show HAL that, yes, books matter.

Yes, I agree! I will then be leaving our stack of paperbacks in the library for someone else to enjoy! What's a cruise without a book? Sorry, but those electronic book thingys are not for me......I'm still so old fashioned with some things, especially books.

Have cruised on Crystal a couple of times and they had a lovely library...loved it!

Have a nook and it's okay but like others have said...just not the same as the hard copy in your hands:o

Went to the goodwill and found 3 perfect books for our 2 week cruise next month! Gonna have to make room for them:rolleyes:

Once I am done with them I will leave them on board......maybe in the ridiculous room they call a travelbrary....sheesh:confused:

Mr. Obvious says: There are still public libraries, and most offer 3 week free loans and, except for hot new titles, they can be renewed on-line. I like a hardback as well. I reserve my favorite authors' books as they become available. I haven't bought a book, except for my two-year old grand daughter, in years.

Edited by blizzardboy

Yes, I agree! I will then be leaving our stack of paperbacks in the library for someone else to enjoy! What's a cruise without a book? Sorry, but those electronic book thingys are not for me......I'm still so old fashioned with some things, especially books.

We intend to still take paperback books and leave them on whatever ship we will be on.

My DH rarely touches a computer let alone a Kindle or a Nook. We are old fashion as well. Also many times my DH falls asleep while reading and the book falls onto the floor. Not a good idea for him to have an electronic device.

You would think that on a massive ship like that, they could find a small room for a library. Bringing your own books, just isn't the same. I enjoy looking over the eclectic collection that accumulates on a cruise ship, and often end up reading and enjoying a book I would never have purchased or borrowed from a public library.

Even though a library produces no income for a cruise line, it contributes to the overall pleasurable experience. HAL needs to reconsider.

Careful -- that is a a slippery slope. Personally, I have made a vow to myself to keep current with technology as I get older, because I see what has happened with my parents.

They decided at some point about 25 years ago that they did not need any of this modern technology. They never had an answering machine, DVD player, cell phone of any kind (let alone a smartphone) or a computer/tablet. Never even had a digital camera.

As a consequence though, they are finding it harder and harder to function in the modern world. So many things are easiest done on a computer now, from looking up travel information to registering for upcoming cruises, not to mention keeping in touch with their grandchild who considers anything less than texting to be "old school" communication.

Not only that but they have real difficulty adapting to the technology that is now part of everything -- they moved to a new condominium last year, and have trouble using the (smart) thermostat, the complex remote control for their television, even their programmable microwave....

One could say that -- at the ages of 89 and 84 -- they shouldn't have to learn these new things. But I see how it makes life more difficult for them. They hate having to call one of us kids to help them with the same questions over and over or to come over and figure out what button they pushed that made their A/C or their TV stop working.

So for me at least, I plan to stay as current as possible for as long as I can. Adapt and thrive, that's my motto. ;)

That's interesting. In comparison we found the Crystal Symphony "library" to be very limited with only a few chairs crowded in and more of an alcove with a few tall book shelves kind of tacked into their equally limited public spaces on that particular Crystal ship.

We only know the Crystal Symphony, so I can't comment on the Crystal Serenity which may have a different deck plan. However we thought the Crystal Symphony library was nothing like the much larger and more inviting spaces on the older HAL ships.

Sadly, this is a bit of HAL traditional real estate that is getting lost as the libraries gets moved either to share with the Crows Nest on the newer ships, or now almost disappearing entirely as reported on the Konigsdam.

This might also be dependent upon the expected use of the newer ships - shorter, more port intensive itineraries and not the long at sea day voyages where the dedicated library space continues to be highly desirable and a center for related onboard activities. If nothing more than just a large, inviting "quiet" space free from the intrusion of other nosier ship activities.

But reading habits indeed are changing and in this electronic media world, this is a conflict all former bricks, mortar, shelves and stacks libraries also have to face whether on land or sea.

As a side note for those that suffer from macular degeneration or other illnesses that effect eyesight negatively but love to read:

Have to admit, though I guess my generation (30-40's) are quite addicted to technology and our gadgets, it was my mom (in her 70's) who hooked me on Kindle as dh and I have always been a dead tree book fan... love the turning of pages, the smell of old books, a used book store is Heaven.

A few years ago when my mom's eye sight deteriorated due to illness and made it so even with glasses she requires x-large print, she was devastated. BUT technology to the rescue! She found out about the Kindle reader. The Kindle has adjustable print and a screen softener that is easier on the eyes than stark white light. We immediately got the original Kindle for her and she, an avid reader, never looked back. It essentially has allowed her to keep reading when otherwise she could not. I am so thankful as I can't imagine her not being able to enjoy her beloved books.

So DH and I made the switch as the app works on our phones so no new gadget needed. I love downloading 5 or 6 books, adjusting the print size, it always saves my spot even when I fall asleep while reading (which happens every night), and no more need to carry heavy books unless it is just something not in e-book format. Plus, our local library has a e-reader library loan so you can "check out" e-books just like dead tree books that all work on my Kindle. Can't beat free!! :D

Maybe HAL could pair up with some company and offer an e-book lending library onboard. Just a thought.

Mr. Obvious says: There are still public libraries, and most offer 3 week free loans and, except for hot new titles, they can be renewed on-line. I like a hardback as well. I reserve my favorite authors' books as they become available. I haven't bought a book, except for my two-year old grand daughter, in years.

Of course, with baggage allowances being what they are now, even loaner hardcovers come with a price.

Careful -- that is a a slippery slope. Personally, I have made a vow to myself to keep current with technology as I get older, because I see what has happened with my parents.

They decided at some point about 25 years ago that they did not need any of this modern technology. They never had an answering machine, DVD player, cell phone of any kind (let alone a smartphone) or a computer/tablet. Never even had a digital camera.

As a consequence though, they are finding it harder and harder to function in the modern world. So many things are easiest done on a computer now, from looking up travel information to registering for upcoming cruises, not to mention keeping in touch with their grandchild who considers anything less than texting to be "old school" communication.

Not only that but they have real difficulty adapting to the technology that is now part of everything -- they moved to a new condominium last year, and have trouble using the (smart) thermostat, the complex remote control for their television, even their programmable microwave....

One could say that -- at the ages of 89 and 84 -- they shouldn't have to learn these new things. But I see how it makes life more difficult for them. They hate having to call one of us kids to help them with the same questions over and over or to come over and figure out what button they pushed that made their A/C or their TV stop working.

So for me at least, I plan to stay as current as possible for as long as I can. Adapt and thrive, that's my motto. ;)

My husband and I have recently retired from jobs that required extensive computer use, we have all the "toys" at home and our new car is a computer on wheels. However, when we vacation, we don't need it, don't want it. Cell phones and tablets left at home. We just cannot replace our books with electronic readers, at home or on vacation! So, yes, we are up on current technology, but we don't let it take over our lives.

Careful -- that is a a slippery slope. Personally, I have made a vow to myself to keep current with technology as I get older... Adapt and thrive, that's my motto. ;)

Well said, I couldn't agree more! About to turn 69, my inner Geek doesn't want to get left behind, and I do try to wring the most out of available technology. I've been a library member since I was a young child, but haven't taken out a book in several years, other than e-books. I bought the original Kindle and purchased a good number of books before the library started to carry them. Now, part of my Saturday morning routine is to check which new books have made it to the top sellers list that week and go to the library's website to place a hold. Whether at home, on a plane, off on a cruise or just preparing for a wait at the doctor's office, my iPad holds all my reading material, and now I generally have close to a hundred books at my finger tips.

My husband and I have recently retired from jobs that required extensive computer use, we have all the "toys" at home and our new car is a computer on wheels. However, when we vacation, we don't need it, don't want it. Cell phones and tablets left at home. We just cannot replace our books with electronic readers, at home or on vacation! So, yes, we are up on current technology, but we don't let it take over our lives.

Sounds like a good plan for you!

For me, travel with a Kindle is a big step above traveling with books as I like to travel light and cruises are only one part of my travel. It's wonderful to me that I can travel with a couple dozen references plus biographies of historic figures related to my travel destination plus light reading -- all on one small device that fits in my purse. :D

(And it does not replace my books at home, trust me.....!)

Very well said. Going on vacation doesn't mean you need to be a Luddite, after all. And the cruise lines reflect society, they do not lead. If there's less space for books that means fewer people are using them. I suspect there'll be a shelf or two for "book swapping" for quite some time, but don't expect the ships to spend money to stock books that no one reads.

My cruise preference is for audio books on my very tiny iPod. Audio book titles also available for free download at our local library.

Find a deck chair outdoors even in full sun or a comfy lounge chair indoors, close my eyes or watch the ocean, and be transported.

(Downside - if you also fall asleep you don't know where you left off - but if you pick great books they keep you awake.)

That's interesting. In comparison we found the Crystal Symphony "library" to be very limited with only a few chairs crowded in and more of an alcove with a few tall book shelves kind of tacked into their equally limited public spaces on that particular Crystal ship.

We only know the Crystal Symphony, so I can't comment on the Crystal Serenity which may have a different deck plan. However we thought the Crystal Symphony library was nothing like the much larger and more inviting spaces on the older HAL ships.

Sadly, this is a bit of HAL traditional real estate that is getting lost as the libraries gets moved either to share with the Crows Nest on the newer ships, or now almost disappearing entirely as reported on the Konigsdam.

This might also be dependent upon the expected use of the newer ships - shorter, more port intensive itineraries and not the long at sea day voyages where the dedicated library space continues to be highly desirable and a center for related onboard activities. If nothing more than just a large, inviting "quiet" space free from the intrusion of other nosier ship activities.

But reading habits indeed are changing and in this electronic media world, this is a conflict all former bricks, mortar, shelves and stacks libraries also have to face whether on land or sea.

Never said it was huge......small but perfect in regards to my sensibilities I felt it had many books to cover many topics and people were in and out of there checking out books. Loved it on the Symphony!

You would think that on a massive ship like that, they could find a small room for a library. Bringing your own books, just isn't the same. I enjoy looking over the eclectic collection that accumulates on a cruise ship, and often end up reading and enjoying a book I would never have purchased or borrowed from a public library.

Even though a library produces no income for a cruise line, it contributes to the overall pleasurable experience. HAL needs to reconsider.

They do have a small section in the Crow's Nest that is the library...it's just not the library that is on the other Dam ships.

Never said it was huge......small but perfect in regards to my sensibilities I felt it had many books to cover many topics and people were in and out of there checking out books. Loved it on the Symphony!

Looks like we were having two different discussions about "libraries": inventory and/or space.

Edited by OlsSalt

I totally think as you.......we have technology all over the house as well as work. Going on the cruise means getting away from all that not ignoring technology or being ignorant of it.......sheesh:confused:

Nothing like the simplicity of a book which I never want it to disappear and replaced with technology:rolleyes:

My cruise preference is for audio books on my very tiny iPod. Audio book titles also available for free download at our local library.

Find a deck chair outdoors even in full sun or a comfy lounge chair indoors, close my eyes or watch the ocean, and be transported.

(Downside - if you also fall asleep you don't know where you left off - but if you pick great books they keep you awake.)

Different strokes. My (older) sister and I are both voracious "readers", but at about the same time that I switched to ebooks she converted to audio books. I've tried audio books and she ebooks, but neither enjoyed the other's format and we're quite happy with our choices. :)