Explorer of the Seas to Alaska thoughts after

KCarr2000

Just got off the Explorer on the 9th Sep.

- gave us bathrobes, just have to ask.

- pillows were rather flat, so we asked for a 3rd one for each of us.

- formal nights were not very strict. We booked specialty restaurants for a few nights.

- ** tip ** if CHOPS/specialty restaurant is not busy, they will sometimes, have someone come out and cruise the promenade asking if you are interested in coming, for 20perc off. We couldn't make up our minds, and they offered a bottle of wine on top of it. so instead of 35bucks/person, it was $28.

oh and about CUSTOMS...

we did walk off, left ship at about 815am, line up only for scanning cards , and for escalator. once we got off the escalator, we walked a steady pace to CUSTOMS, and handed in the card, off we went.

Fastest time ever!!!

- formal nights were not very strict. We booked specialty restaurants for a few nights.

- ** tip ** if CHOPS/specialty restaurant is not busy, they will sometimes, have someone come out and cruise the promenade asking if you are interested in coming, for 20perc off. We couldn't make up our minds, and they offered a bottle of wine on top of it. so instead of 35bucks/person, it was $28.

Wow....thanks!!! So, no bathrobe to pack ... maybe my pillow because I really like soft ones and will be on the lookout for specials at CHOPS ... I will play hard to get and see if I can also get wine with it. NICE!!!

Also, we will be doing carry off so glad to hear it went smoothly!!

Thanks again for all the info.

It always was that robes were provided for Platinum and above guests. I know one cruise they said there were so many Diamond and above guests that they ran out of robes!!

I'm hoping we can find a Kohls, JCPenny or such where I can buy a pillow to my liking and then just leave it in the cabin! I usually bring my own special neck support pillow when we drive, but I won't have room in my suitcase since we have to fly to Seattle!

Thanks for the lap robe suggestion, that I might be able to fit in my suitcase!!

In regards to you asking & getting robes, are you platinum, above or??? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They recently changed the policy on robes and now they are only given to Platinum and above upon request.

Aha...I knew I read something to that affect but couldn't remember exactly what it was. Even though we've only taken on RCCL cruise before, they considered our status on Celebrity to get the Diamond perks. So, think we are safe without bringing a robe with us. thanks again everyone!!

I am just asking because I am not platinum but wondering what my chances are of getting a bathrobe if I ask my cabin steward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is hard to say but it never hurts to ask. Since they only give them to Platinum and above when asked, there may be more available than when they gave them automatically.

It always was that robes were provided for Platinum and above guests. I know one cruise they said there were so many Diamond and above guests that they ran out of robes!!

I'm hoping we can find a Kohls, JCPenny or such where I can buy a pillow to my liking and then just leave it in the cabin! I usually bring my own special neck support pillow when we drive, but I won't have room in my suitcase since we have to fly to Seattle!

Thanks for the lap robe suggestion, that I might be able to fit in my suitcase!!

Just a suggestion....Amazon (multiple dealers) carry an inflatable camping pillow (they are covered with a soft flocking on the surface). Since both DH & I have issues with flat pillows, I purchased these for our Oasis cruise last Spring. We sandwiched them in between two regular RCCL pillows and they worked quite well for us. At the end of our cruise, we deflated them and packed them back in our suitcase. They are smaller than a regular sized pillow but worked well sandwiched in between the standard sized pillows. Will be using them again on future cruises.

Here are a couple of questions we have if someone could help us out :)

Are the only two free dinner choices one main dining room and the buffet? We normally sail on NCL and they have two dining rooms which is nice when you don't have a set dinner time.

Do you need tickets for the ice show, and if so, where and when can we get them?

My dh likes a sit down lunch after boarding, is this possible or do they only have the buffet open?

Thanks for any help you can give us

Here are a couple of questions we have if someone could help us out :)

Are the only two free dinner choices one main dining room and the buffet? We normally sail on NCL and they have two dining rooms which is nice when you don't have a set dinner time.

Do you need tickets for the ice show, and if so, where and when can we get them?

My dh likes a sit down lunch after boarding, is this possible or do they only have the buffet open?

Thanks for any help you can give us

On the Explorer everyone is assigned an ice show based on their muster station. You do not need tickets, just show your seapass card.

As mentioned there is no sit down lunch on boarding day. Windjammer buffet or pizza and sandwiches in Café Promenade.

I asked for the beds to be separated ahead of time but that did not happen. I don't think there is good communications in that regard so just expect that you might need to get that taken care of later if the bed setup isn't like you wanted it. Once on board I requested the change and it was taken care of promptly.

I think that's actually normal now. They don't have the beds separated beforehand, but you just request it after you're in your room and they'll do it then.

I usually bring my own special neck support pillow when we drive, but I won't have room in my suitcase since we have to fly to Seattle!

I'll admit that it's easier for me because I like a *flat* pillow, but consider seeing if it'll fit in your carryon. I roll up my dresses and the one pair of heels I wear for dinners and put them in one side of my roller carrying, and put my pillow in the other side. I can fit other stuff with the pillow because mine is so flat, but you could probably put yours on one side alone even if it's bigger.

Sleep is important, and having my pillow is vital for me! Otherwise it's headaches the whole time I'm sleeping on a too-big pillow.

unfortunately, my neck pillow is a firm foam, so it can't fit in a carry on. I may look for a travel one or if push comes to shove, roll up towels into the pillow!

I'll admit that it's easier for me because I like a *flat* pillow, but consider seeing if it'll fit in your carryon. I roll up my dresses and the one pair of heels I wear for dinners and put them in one side of my roller carrying, and put my pillow in the other side. I can fit other stuff with the pillow because mine is so flat, but you could probably put yours on one side alone even if it's bigger.

Sleep is important, and having my pillow is vital for me! Otherwise it's headaches the whole time I'm sleeping on a too-big pillow.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
Did the cabins have electric outlets near the bed? I like to plug my cell in as a clock bc the battery sucks.

Haven't been on Explorer & been a while on other RCL ships.

Thanks.

No outlets near the beds on Explorer.

Did the cabins have electric outlets near the bed? I like to plug my cell in as a clock bc the battery sucks.

Haven't been on Explorer & been a while on other RCL ships.

Thanks.

Sorry unless you're in a fancy suite, the only outlet is over by the desk. 😳

Hmm that could be a problem since I use a CPAP machine that needs to be by the bed. I am sure I am not the first person that has used one?? Has anyone else brought one on board? Can you bring an extension cord?

Contact special_needs@rccl.com and notify them of your CPAP. They will provide an extension cord and distilled water.

Nice review ... thanks for taking the time to write it.

I was wondering if you had any input on the pillows that are provided to you on the Explorer of the Seas? We will be traveling on her in less than a month and heard terrible reviews about the pillows on one of the Oasis class ships.

I am trying to get away with packing in carry on luggage only so don't want to pack my own pillow if not necessary. I love down pillows but anything soft and fluffy would also do. We are only in a regular balcony cabin so probably no pillow menu for us ... so just asking about what they already provide in the room.

How formal is the dress on formal nights?? If very formal, I may plan on booking a specialty restaurant for those nights.

Also, do they provide robes in the cabins or do you have to book a mini or above??

Lastly, you made it sound like smoking is not allowed on the balconies. Can you comfirm this is the rule?? We are non-smokers so hope this is the case.

We haven't sailed on RCCL in over 6 years and never on the EOS, so have many questions. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Cruise Raider, there is NO SMOKING ALLOWED ON ANY BALCONIES!!!

No pillow menus, but the pillows are very flat and squishy!

I've heard the Alaska cruises are not as formal.

I'll be on her next week and will report in. I've been on her multiple times, she's my favorite ship!