Anyone on the Ecstasy with Man Overboard Updates?

Fydlstyx

Sorry, but I (and most people) don't have the same mass to surface area of a lounge chair (I weigh more and am not basically a flat surface), so my aerodynamics are way different than a lounge chair. There is a video out there where a Washington state news reporter was blown over by 100 mph winds, but she never left her feet, or was lifted off her feet.

I watched it.

Sorry, but I (and most people) don't have the same mass to surface area of a lounge chair (I weigh more and am not basically a flat surface), so my aerodynamics are way different than a lounge chair. There is a video out there where a Washington state news reporter was blown over by 100 mph winds, but she never left her feet, or was lifted off her feet.

Good morning, Chengkp75, and thanks for all your excellent posts. It's nice to have someone on these boards with the ability to understand basic physics and the principals of ship design that keep us safe and healthy on our cruises.

I don't understand how people can, with a clear conscience, continue to rattle on about how "simple" it would be to fall off a ship. If I remember correctly most public areas of a ship where activities occur are protected with not only a railing that is chest high for me (and I'm tall) but with plexiglass screens and angled wind screens above.

If someone wants to "fall" off of a ship they need to choose their spot carefully and they usually need to find a way to "climb" up and over a railing. When architects design they do so with the most stupid person in mind...making sure that no matter how intoxicated someone is that can't stumble and fall off a great height. We call it designing for idiots.

Exactly when was this? We got off the Ecstasy on Saturday, the 3rd. We slowed down to stay behind the hurricane so were an hour late getting back to Charleston but no one went overboard on our cruise.

When we have met with a captain on the bridge we have been showed the videos they have of all the sides of the ship. This shows exactly where someone falls off the ship. But no one just watches it until they get word of someone falling off. Then they back the film up to see it. They can tell exactly where they were when this happens. I assume the Ecstasy has these cameras.

So lets look at these 10 cases:

"Unclear what happened": #10, #9,

"Unstated or unknown reason": #8, #7,

"Climbed over a railing": #6, #4

"Jumped": #5

"Horsing around on the balcony": #3

"Drunk and "leaning over balcony" according to victim": #2, #1

So, if we take that in order to lean over a balcony railing significantly enough to put your center of gravity above the railing you would have had to climb on something or stood on a chair, that puts 6 of the 10 into the "avoidable" category, and 4 that we can't tell anything about. Still don't see any cases of being "blown over" the side, or other forms of "unavoidable" circumstances.

Even a 200 mph wind will not necessarily lift a human off the ground, unless the wind is blowing upwards. It will push you along, and roll you over, but you don't have the aerodynamic shape to create enough lift to overcome your weight.

Exactly when was this? We got off the Ecstasy on Saturday, the 3rd. We slowed down to stay behind the hurricane so were an hour late getting back to Charleston but no one went overboard on our cruise.

When we have met with a captain on the bridge we have been showed the videos they have of all the sides of the ship. This shows exactly where someone falls off the ship. But no one just watches it until they get word of someone falling off. Then they back the film up to see it. They can tell exactly where they were when this happens. I assume the Ecstasy has these cameras.

It happened on this current cruise, early yesterday morning

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So lets look at these 10 cases:

"Unclear what happened": #10, #9, Could have been pushed or knocked over .

"Unstated or unknown reason": #8, #7, Could have been pushed or knocked over

"Climbed over a railing": #6, #4 We know what happen here.

"Jumped": #5

"Horsing around on the balcony": #3 Here also.

"Drunk and "leaning over balcony" according to victim": #2, #1 Amen :eek:

So, if we take that in order to lean over a balcony railing significantly enough to put your center of gravity above the railing you would have had to climb on something or stood on a chair, that puts 6 of the 10 into the "avoidable" category, and 4 that we can't tell anything about. Still don't see any cases of being "blown over" the side, or other forms of "unavoidable" circumstances.

Even a 200 mph wind will not necessarily lift a human off the ground, unless the wind is blowing upwards. TRUE It will push you along, and roll you over, but you don't have the aerodynamic shape to create enough lift to overcome your weight.

With a little help ,being hit by a foreign object " Chair " a person could easily jump in a upper motion projecting themselves over the rail.

With a little help ,being hit by a foreign object " Chair " a person could easily jump in a upper motion projecting themselves over the rail.

Okay, I'll go down the rabbit hole into Wonderland this one last time on this thread. If I'm pinned against a railing by gale force winds, and a chair hits me, my natural instinct isn't to "jump", it's to duck. Even if I'm sliding along the deck towards the rail, I duck. But if you feel it is possible, and even probable to "fall" overboard without benefit of action on your part, then that's fine, just stay well away from the promenade deck and don't book a balcony.

Okay, I'll go down the rabbit hole into Wonderland this one last time on this thread. If I'm pinned against a railing by gale force winds, and a chair hits me, my natural instinct isn't to "jump", it's to duck. Even if I'm sliding along the deck towards the rail, I duck. But if you feel it is possible, and even probable to "fall" overboard without benefit of action on your part, then that's fine, just stay well away from the promenade deck and don't book a balcony.

Have a good day my friend, you truly are a informative person in the forums .

I'm from the south we don't duck ,we jump :D.

If a person could "jump" that high they would have won a medal at the Olympics. You are beginning to sound a bit silly...sometimes it is better to let someone else win an argument than show complete ignorance.

And, Bo, guess I should head out to sea to gather myself some lawn furniture since in your scenerio the ocean must be crawling with the stuff "blown" overboard.

Just one ? Several ,the most experienced cruiser will tell you the dangers involved walking around Lido on an extremely windy day. Some of us have had the displeasure of evading high tropical force winds when a storm approaches. Lounge chairs flying up and into a person could do enough to force a person to the rail. An unsecured door hit a friend of mine and knocked him to the rail and down to the floor. Those instances are when the decks were not closed to the public.

So, again, share a link.

Don't know what you define as an experienced cruiser but I'm typing this on my 32nd one and haven't seen what you are describing.

I have a better chance of driving off the causeway in Galveston headed to the port than what you're fabricating.

Just send a link and stop with the "what ifs."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

VERY sorry for your loss and that of her family. I hope you didn't discover it on CC but only came here to post. Clearly you love cruising and I hope this doesn't affect that. :(

Thank you. I knew her family more than her. I haven't seen her since she was a small child :(

I did find out here, while posting on another thread and asking that people please have some compassion and not speculate that this was a suicide. There are several other factors that could cause someone to "jump" rather than intentionally committing suicide.

To all posting on this board - A woman is lost and probably dead! Please have a little respect for Rina and the Patel family and stop all of this baseless speculation. I'm sure you wouldn't want the loss of your family member debated about on the internet in such a callous manner. :mad:

Edited by VASOXFANN

Just going to chime in with another vote for you sound ridiculous. You are trying so awfully hard to make your point that you are actually convincing people against your point.

Just one ? Several ,the most experienced cruiser will tell you the dangers involved walking around Lido on an extremely windy day. Some of us have had the displeasure of evading high tropical force winds when a storm approaches. Lounge chairs flying up and into a person could do enough to force a person to the rail. An unsecured door hit a friend of mine and knocked him to the rail and down to the floor. Those instances are when the decks were not closed to the public.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1741375/royal-caribbean-passenger-falls-overboard-unnoticed-man-saved-by-passing-disney-cruise-line-ship/

Yeah, okay, "a big wave came up and knocked me overboard". No one else felt this "big wave", no one felt the ship rolling from this wave? And a quick search of the weather in Cozumel 1/9/2015 (it supposedly happened 8 miles from port) shows wind speeds of 5-10mph, and a barometer of 30.1. In other words, fair weather. Where did this rogue wave come from?

I wonder if this happens a lot more than we hear about. The father of a close friend went on a cruise by himself, had a great time all week - people remarked how friendly he was at dinner etc. The last night, he was seen on camera going into his room. When he never checked out of his room, they went in and it was locked from the inside but empty. They never found his body of course. It certainly wasn't in any papers or on any web boards.

I wonder if this happens a lot more than we hear about. The father of a close friend went on a cruise by himself, had a great time all week - people remarked how friendly he was at dinner etc. The last night, he was seen on camera going into his room. When he never checked out of his room, they went in and it was locked from the inside but empty. They never found his body of course. It certainly wasn't in any papers or on any web boards.

Now that was sad.

Prayers for the woman and her friends/family.

Suicide is a desperate act, done by desperate people. They want the pain to go away, and in their mind, they may have convinced themselves that the people in their lives are better off without them. My heartfelt condolences for all folks who have lost a loved one due to suicide.

Just out of curiosity, how often are they able to recover/find individuals in a 'man overboard' situation?

I believe you are asking for statistics on how often someone survives? Because the statistic for "finding" is different than "surviving". But, given that there is no central clearing house for this data, one can only guess, but I would say the survival rate, even in tropical waters is about 5-10%. Injury from the fall, injury when hitting the water, alcohol, age, fitness, and water temperature are all factors. Even 70*F water can cause hypothermia within 6-12 hours.