No Dynamic Dining for Ovation of the Seas

fairywren

My issue with the new My Time Dining is that I will sit in the same restaurant night after night in whatever they allocate me, Silk or American Icon Grill. From what I understand I won't be allowed to sit in the Grande or Chic. For a 14 night cruise, that for me is 12 nights in the same restaurant night after night. I have paid for 2 nights in specialty. See I booked this cruise (which cost more than other cruises in the fleet also going to NZ) because it was like going to specialty restaurants but complimentary. I would have been able to choose where I wanted to eat. Also when I booked, dodgems and north star were complimentary. All inclusive is what they advertised. I took all this into consideration when happily paid much more than I would have on Voyager going to the same destination. So I hope they don't charge for those either.

Ovation is supposed to be Australia's second home and they are basing the changes on the majority of the English and Americans.

Also does anyone know what this means (North American guests

traveling in Australia and New Zealand onboard Ovation of the Seas departing November 23rd, 2016 through April

14th, 2017 will also be impacted by this change.) Sort of sounds like only North American guests will be affected? weird.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Anthem/Dining_FAQs_2016

traveling in Australia and New Zealand onboard Ovation of the Seas departing November 23rd, 2016 through April

14th, 2017 will also be impacted by this change.) Sort of sounds like only North American guests will be affected? weird.

It's just poor wording. It was written for the North American market. It does apply to all onboard on those dates though.

Well I would take a print out and when you cannot get DD, go directly to guest services, do not pass Go and maybe collect $200.:p

From your comments, it sounds like DD was too popular, so people did not use the up-charge restaurants ...

The main complaint on the RC board seemed to be about the bother of having to make dinner reservations "when we are oooonn vaacaaation"

The main complaint on the RC board seemed to be about the bother of having to make dinner reservations "when we are oooonn vaacaaation"

So now you are either booking in a time for the whole cruise (traditional sittings) or you can book as you go for each night or you can just rock up and how you don't have to wait.

Funnily enough, I see those same people complaining.

Forgive my ignorance. I have My Time Dining on Ovation. What do the changes mean to me? How do I book dining and at which restaurants? I am talking complimentary at this stage. Will there be a formal night now? I was of the understanding that formal night was if you booked The Grande?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So now you are either booking in a time for the whole cruise (traditional sittings) or you can book as you go for each night or you can just rock up and how you don't have to wait.

Funnily enough, I see those same people complaining.

I think there will be more complaining now.

1) People (rightly so) complaining because they booked specifically wanting DD and are not getting the advertised dining experience they paid for.

2) Traditional early or late diners complaining because they have missed out on their preferred time or on traditional dining altogether due to the fact that there is far less capacity for fixed dining on Quantum class ships.

3) MT Diners complaining because they have to book or the tables may be all full due to those same capacity issues exasperated by the flow on effect of traditional diners bumped from traditional.

4) People complaining about being stuck for the whole cruise in a much smaller venue and missing the vast traditional dining rooms without the offsetting factor of moving to different venues.

Edited by woodyren

The advantage of pre-booking the speciality restaurants is that you book your preferred night and timing. If you wait til you are on board the speciality restaurant may be booked out. This is likely to occur with Wonderland.

My time dining would operate as the same as on other RCI ships. The theory behind my time dining is that you can rock up at the dining room at any time and be seated. My experience on my last cruise is that this is not the case and I would strongly suggest you pre-book online beforehand your preferred time.

If you dont you may face a long wait for a table or be told that time is booked out and end up eating elsewhere.

Grande is no longer the formal restaurant. Once you board the ship, the cruise compass that is delivered to your room, will list the nights that are formal. Depending on the length of your cruise, you may get one or two nights that are formal.

I think there will be more complaining now.

1) People (rightly so) complaining because they booked specifically wanting DD and are not getting the advertised dining experience they paid for.

2) Traditional early or late diners complaining because they have missed out on their preferred time or on traditional dining altogether due to the fact that there is far less capacity for fixed dining on Quantum class ships.

3) MT Diners complaining because they have to book or the tables may be all full due to those same capacity issues exasperated by the flow on effect of traditional diners bumped from traditional.

4) People complaining about being stuck for the whole cruise in a much smaller venue and missing the vast traditional dining rooms without the offsetting factor of moving to different venues.

I think you have it pretty well right, except for one more group.

5) People who will complain about anything and everything that someone else is getting but they are not.

The advantage of pre-booking the speciality restaurants is that you book your preferred night and timing. If you wait til you are on board the speciality restaurant may be booked out. This is likely to occur with Wonderland.

My time dining would operate as the same as on other RCI ships. The theory behind my time dining is that you can rock up at the dining room at any time and be seated. My experience on my last cruise is that this is not the case and I would strongly suggest you pre-book online beforehand your preferred time.

If you dont you may face a long wait for a table or be told that time is booked out and end up eating elsewhere.

Grande is no longer the formal restaurant. Once you board the ship, the cruise compass that is delivered to your room, will list the nights that are formal. Depending on the length of your cruise, you may get one or two nights that are formal.

Thanks for the details about formal, I would assume it is across all the MDR rooms now.

Thank you for that explanation Aussie. I have booked Wonderland and Jamie Oliver's already.

We are allocated Traditional 8.00 pm dining. We tried to change and were told the 6.30 pm is booked out.

As I understand it, "we can book 3/4 night packages and select the 6.30 pm time-slot for the free Restaurants"?

8.00 pm is far too late for us to dine. Windjammers would be our only other option.

We have booked through a Travel Agent.

***** UPDATE FROM ROYAL ******

I finally after a second email received a reply today from Royals Guest experience section in response to the email I sent saying I wasn't happy about not getting DD as promised.

This part of the reply was the most note worthy:

"We understand that you were looking forward to the multiple dining venues with each their own unique menu. We are sorry that we have disappointed you with this change and want to extend our sincere apologies.

Nevertheless, we have provided your suggestion to keep the Dynamic Dining for our Australia season to the appropriate operational team. We listen to our guests and believe their feedback is the key to remaining successful. At this time we cannot confirm which direction this suggestion may go but we can assure you that we are listening."

Soooo, are they really listening to us - we will see. But if more of you who feel ripped off by the decision to gut the whole DD concept then make the effort to also email them - it may make a difference.

I have also suggested to them that if the DD concept cannot be retained as is, then they at least need to open the 4 free venues for lunch (first come first served basis like lunch in MDR on all other ships) preferably with the original menus on offer so those of us that do care about trying each venue can have the opportunity to get the experience that was promised.

I think most Australians would consider this at least a more fair alternative than no chance at all to dine in the different venues?

I also advised that I think the Ovation staff will be getting a ear full once the majority of cruisers who don't frequent CC actually realise what that email about DD changes actually meant - most will be clueless that it's not simply a change in how you are seated that has occurred, but a complete dismantling of the whole immersive dining concept that Royal so loudly touted as one of the main attractions of Ovation class!

I'll post back with any further updates if/ when I receive any.

I have also suggested to them that if the DD concept cannot be retained as is, then they at least need to open the 4 free venues for lunch (first come first served basis like lunch in MDR on all other ships) preferably with the original menus on offer so those of us that do care about trying each venue can have the opportunity to get the experience that was promised.

Hi,

We had breakfast and lunch on Deck 4 (American Icon Grill and Silk) - sailed in May - June.

For breakfast one was buffet style and the other ala carte.

Lunch just in one venue, so I assume (hopefully) they will do the same when they get to Australia.

Verona

I finally after a second email received a reply today from Royals Guest experience section in response to the email I sent saying I wasn't happy about not getting DD as promised.

This part of the reply was the most note worthy:

"We understand that you were looking forward to the multiple dining venues with each their own unique menu. We are sorry that we have disappointed you with this change and want to extend our sincere apologies.

Nevertheless, we have provided your suggestion to keep the Dynamic Dining for our Australia season to the appropriate operational team. We listen to our guests and believe their feedback is the key to remaining successful. At this time we cannot confirm which direction this suggestion may go but we can assure you that we are listening."

Soooo, are they really listening to us - we will see. But if more of you who feel ripped off by the decision to gut the whole DD concept then make the effort to also email them - it may make a difference.

I think most Australians would consider this at least a more fair alternative than no chance at all to dine in the different venues?

I also advised that I think the Ovation staff will be getting a ear full once the majority of cruisers who don't frequent CC actually realise what that email about DD changes actually meant - most will be clueless that it's not simply a change in how you are seated that has occurred, but a complete dismantling of the whole immersive dining concept that Royal so loudly touted as one of the main attractions of Ovation class!

What email address should we use to write to RCI regarding DD no longer being on offer on Ovation. I'm keen to write to them.

Edited by Miamia65

What email address should we use to write to RCI regarding DD no longer being on offer on Ovation. I'm keen to write to them.

I used one originally provided earlier in this thread, but noticed it has since been deleted so I think the mods don't like us posting them here?

They never replied until I sent a follow up so maybe use this one customerservices.au@rcclapac.com that they advertise for post cruise comments, as at least it's publicly displayed so the mods shouldn't have an issue with it - Royal staff will pass it on to the appropriate section.

The more of us who let them know we aren't happy the better, but I think it's also important to offer constructive solutions.

I asked for the DD to remain for just this inaugural Aussie season since that is what we all thought we were getting, I then suggested if it wasn't possible to keep it intact to allow us to at least have the advertised menus & try the different venues at lunch time instead.

But at least if we try to get what we paid for we know we just didn't whinge about it & do nothing. :)

Thanks Verona I had been thinking that. Doing my time we will be in silk or American icon. So lunch or breakfast in grande and chic will have to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Australian season may not be comparable dining wise to the May - June sailing Verona did. You may not get to try Grande or Silk.

I suggest if you feel unhappy about DD being scrapped you email Royal as well, so they get the message we Australian cruisers just want what was advertised. or at least options to try the various venues/menus. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Who said Royal doesn't listen to it's customers?? Well I must admit I did cast doubt on wether emailing them about Dynamic Dining being cut would make any difference. :o

BUT I am pleased to be proven wrong as I have been emailing with Royal about this for a few weeks & I'm pleased to announce the people have been heard! So everyone who emailed them - congrats - we made a difference & will now be getting what we were promised!

DYNAMIC DINING IS BACK FOR THE AUSTRALIAN SEASON ON OVATION!!!

Here is what Royal just emailed me (yes, before you ask, I have asked for further clarification on the finer points - like if it's DD in the original form or a my time/classic dining rotation through all 4 restaurants, if Grande is the formal restaurant etc).

EMAIL RECEIVED THIS MORNING:

Thank you for your additional email. I am happy to provide further clarification on the Dynamic Dining while the Ovation of the Seas is in Australia.

We have received a lot of feedback about the option being removed and believe that listening to our guests is the key to remaining successful. Therefore, we have opted to remove the Dynamic Dining while the ship is in the China market. However, during the repositioning of the ship to Australia we will be incorporating the Dynamic Dining prior to our arrival. I hope this additional information provides you with a full understanding of our anticipated actions.

We truly look forward to welcoming you onboard. I look forward to hearing from you after the sailing about your impression of the ship and your experience.

Sincerely,

Executive Office

Guest Experience Management

Royal Caribbean International

:D:):D:):D

I'm so happy - wish we had a smiley doing a dance!

So a BIG THANKYOU to Royal Caribbean for actually listening & acting on feedback - an uncommon occurrence in todays world!

Edited by avalon007