Cunard Can't Be Bothered to Ring Back

Chunky2219

The paperwork for our forthcoming November cruise came through on Saturday but it was wrong - we'd upgraded to a better cabin several weeks ago but received luggage tags for the original booking. I could have got the TA to sort it, but weekends are crazy busy for them so I thought .... call Cunard.

Option one is an 0843 number, where I pay them money to wait on the phone for however long it takes them to stop playing the elevator music, answer the call then sort the problem. Potentially 20-30 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Could easily be longer and more costly.

So I opted for the option to get a call back within 24 hours. I entered my details and number and sat back. Nothing happened so 24 hours later I did the same thing. And again, about 4 hours after that. Still no call. So just I've done it again today.

Looks like the TA will be sorting it after all. I'll give Cunard until tomorrow then throw in the towel. What's the point of offering a service then not delivering it?

Many thanks for that Teddy, I'll give it a go if my present option fails....... . I've been able to find an 020 number for all Carnival brands and have threaded my way through the auto answer to Cunard. As I type I've been listening to the same music and the same, repetitive plug for the Cunard fare for 34 minutes.

I'm writing Christmas cards while waiting. I may get to post them before there's an answer :rolleyes:

Hi Chunky2219,

I used to use the "ring-back request" in the past when trying to get through to large companies (but I've not tried with Cunard it must be said).

However, as none (not one... ) ever called me back... I no longer use this option when prompted/invited.

Not saying this would work with Cunard... but frequently I find that many companies are quick to answer the "Sales" line... I then ask to speak to a supervisor, take their names, explain the issue and insist on a resolution there and then.

My other trick, when faced with "press option 27" etc is to press option 1, regardless of where that takes me. At least I'm usually speaking to someone quickly. If that fails, then option 2 etc.

Two things that REALLY annoy me... Being frequently told that my "call is important" to them, when clearly it is not; if it was, they'd answer it.

And being played adverts for their services... I'm convinced that many companies have a built-in ten minute (at least) "waiting time" on all calls so we pay to listen to their self-promotion! (with expensive-rate numbers, this must a "nice little earner" for them...)

Best of luck; I hope all gets sorted for you :)

Edited by pepperrn

Firstly, many thanks to Teddy, the 0800 number got me through to a human voice in less than 6 minutes. You won't believe the next part or maybe you will. But here goes:

As an environmentally friendly company, we only print one set, so if you've got the wrong tags, you'll have to print the right ones yourself.
That's as in black & white prints, staple them on the bag?
I can't say that fills me with a great deal of confidence and on the environmental front, whether you do the printing or I do, it's the same amount of paper isn't it?

Well regardless, if you've had a free upgrade then that's your lot.
It wasn't free, I paid. A heap.

Okay, I'll check with upstairs............ the answer is wait until 30 days before the cruise and phone up to say you never got the package. We'll send another, which hopefully will be correct.
So you want me to lie? I'm not doing that.

Okay then, just scribble out the old number and write on the new one. Your bag will get there no problem
How does that fit in with the fancy colour codes for priority boarding and priority luggage delivery?

Some of our late booking passengers just write on a bit of paper at the quay side and it all works okay.
Yes, I can see how that would be a foolproof system. Thanks and goodbye.

So it looks like my best option is to wait until the correct tags become available on line, fire up the printer and eat through another cartridge of over-priced colour ink, then fire up the laminator before digging out the scissors and the hole punch. Environmentally friendly indeed. I despair.

By the way, did you know that if you book the Cunard Fare you can have a choice of dining times and stateroom? I do, because I've heard it exactly 63 times - once a minute for the entire time I was waiting on line.

"Your bags will get there no problem"

Well that haphazard kind of response goes some way to explaining how one of our bags went 'missing' for a while when we embarked in Southampton. They told us to go and look in the lobby as there were some bags there with no labels. There were quite a few! Goodness knows where our label went::confused: I should have laminated them like you do :D

We also noticed when some passengers disembarked at Hamburg that there was a stack of unlabelled luggage in the corner of the baggage hall. I don't remember ever seeing this before but maybe I just haven't been very observant in the past.

The paperwork for our forthcoming November cruise came through on Saturday but it was wrong - we'd upgraded to a better cabin several weeks ago but received luggage tags for the original booking. I could have got the TA to sort it, but weekends are crazy busy for them so I thought .... call Cunard.

Option one is an 0843 number, where I pay them money to wait on the phone for however long it takes them to stop playing the elevator music, answer the call then sort the problem. Potentially 20-30 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Could easily be longer and more costly.

So I opted for the option to get a call back within 24 hours. I entered my details and number and sat back. Nothing happened so 24 hours later I did the same thing. And again, about 4 hours after that. Still no call. So just I've done it again today.

Looks like the TA will be sorting it after all. I'll give Cunard until tomorrow then throw in the towel. What's the point of offering a service then not delivering it?

I was under the impression that if you book through a TA you should always go through the TA and not contact Cunard direct. Someone may be able to correct me if I am wrong.

I was under the impression that if you book through a TA you should always go through the TA and not contact Cunard direct. Someone may be able to correct me if I am wrong.

Cunard have no qualms about contacting me direct to remind me to book shore excursions so one assumes it's a two way street. See post 1 - recognising that Saturday and Sunday is very busy at a cruise only TA, I thought (mistakenly) that going straight to the source of the problem was a simple fix.

For the record, I rate our TA as excellent and they've never failed to come up with a deal better than Cunard direct.

You are correct. Certainly, that is the accepted protocol. In my experience the first question a cruise line agent will ask is if you booked through TA. They will then tell you to contact your TA. Regardless, if you have an issue that needs resolving, high volumn agents will generally have better success than trying to resolve the issue in your own. That being said, very few cruise lines send luggage tags. With the exception of the luxury lines, most lines expect you to print your own. As Cunard offers both options I suspect that once you receive documents and they need amending you are expected to print your own. It is also standard and normal procedure that luggage tags are available at the dock. No way would I spend a lot of time dealing with something like this when I am paying my TA big bucks every year. First world problems!

Firstly, many thanks to Teddy, the 0800 number got me through to a human voice in less than 6 minutes. You won't believe the next part or maybe you will. But here goes:

As an environmentally friendly company, we only print one set, so if you've got the wrong tags, you'll have to print the right ones yourself.
That's as in black & white prints, staple them on the bag?
I can't say that fills me with a great deal of confidence and on the environmental front, whether you do the printing or I do, it's the same amount of paper isn't it?

Well regardless, if you've had a free upgrade then that's your lot.
It wasn't free, I paid. A heap.

Okay, I'll check with upstairs............ the answer is wait until 30 days before the cruise and phone up to say you never got the package. We'll send another, which hopefully will be correct.
So you want me to lie? I'm not doing that.

Okay then, just scribble out the old number and write on the new one. Your bag will get there no problem
How does that fit in with the fancy colour codes for priority boarding and priority luggage delivery?

Some of our late booking passengers just write on a bit of paper at the quay side and it all works okay.
Yes, I can see how that would be a foolproof system. Thanks and goodbye.

So it looks like my best option is to wait until the correct tags become available on line, fire up the printer and eat through another cartridge of over-priced colour ink, then fire up the laminator before digging out the scissors and the hole punch. Environmentally friendly indeed. I despair.

By the way, did you know that if you book the Cunard Fare you can have a choice of dining times and stateroom? I do, because I've heard it exactly 63 times - once a minute for the entire time I was waiting on line.

Sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh but I couldn't help but wonder if you didn't dial the wrong number...and your call was answered by Fawlty Towers:eek::D

Must buy a laminator just in case. David.
I use very wide clear packing tape (bit like a huge roll of sellotape).

Far cheaper than buying a laminator, and I can easily take the roll with me in my case for new labels/tags if needed.

Never lost a label/tag so far :)

If you have a color printer why would you be printing inferior black and white tags?

Black & white = laser printer at about 3p per 1000 pages. Or so it seems. Hence the reason why the TA would post me B&W if I asked for labels.

Colour = sell a kidney for transplant to pay for the horrible little cartridge, which will then clog up due to under use. See previous post. It's often cheaper just to buy a new printer and chuck the old one away.

Don't you have that particular rip-off at your side of the pond?

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

I use very wide clear packing tape (bit like a huge roll of sellotape).

Far cheaper than buying a laminator, and I can easily take the roll with me in my case for new labels/tags if needed.

Never lost a label/tag so far :)

We use packing tap as poor mans lamination. Also, in addition to the label on the handle we tape a second label to the outside of each bag. That one doesn't come off without some serious work.......

Actually since I bought a laser printer I haven't had the urge to print any document in color. Photographs get emailed to Walgreen's (chemist) to print on their fancy machine, so I don't have to worry about a little ink tank slowly drying up.

Printing your luggage tags in black & white works just fine.

Edited by Underwatr

Black & white = laser printer at about 3p per 1000 pages. Or so it seems. Hence the reason why the TA would post me B&W if I asked for labels.

Colour = sell a kidney for transplant to pay for the horrible little cartridge, which will then clog up due to under use. See previous post. It's often cheaper just to buy a new printer and chuck the old one away.

Don't you have that particular rip-off at your side of the pond?

We sure do...but back to your ( unprofessional) TA printing B/W labels. Your situation is clearer now. So you contacted Cunard directly to obtain colour labels unsuccessfully. Surely your TA has a commercial printer which is very different from a table top home printer ( with the cartridges costing more than the printer!). I am sure the agency they work for encourages B/W but as this is obviously a concern for you perhaps you need to ask your T/A for colour labels that work for you. It is the cost of doing business. You upgraded your stateroom - probably after Cunard's "cutoff" for printing. You need to insist that your TA provide labels that you are comfortable with - after all they made more commission from your upgrade than your previous stateroom - or they need to contact Cunard to obtain the proper documents that you have already paid for....I would be considering a new TA who is interested in client satisfaction over him/her saving a few pennies in order to maximize their commission. It is a minor issue but you should be getting satisfactory results from your TA.

.................but back to your ( unprofessional) TA printing B/W labels. Your situation is clearer now. So you contacted Cunard directly to obtain colour labels unsuccessfully...................

..............You upgraded your stateroom - probably after Cunard's "cutoff" for printing. .............

Okay, I'll try to explain this again. Please pay attention.

Cunard posts out a swanky brochure to hawk their tours. In the back are difficult to tear luggage tags, which are colour coded for the benefit of us who get early luggage delivery. They were wrong.

Sure, I could ask the TA to print me some in colour on A4 paper, which I would then staple on to the luggage and hope they didn't tear on the way to the cabin. We all know how that turns out. If you don't, trust me, your time will come.

They almost always print B&Ws anyway on A4 and post them out, which is what I assumed I would get. They also send some of their own generic, difficult to tear labels that can be written on. No Cunard colour coding though.

I dunno if I could ask the to print in colour, laminate and punch them then guillotine them as I will now have to. TBH, I wouldn't expect them to do so out of their (much reduced since 2014) commission, out of which they already give me a good discount on the headline Cunard price. If you know someone over your way who would do this, let me know and I'll book with them.

They only people who can give me the correct, difficult to tear labels are Cunard. Hence why I called, expecting it to be simple to sort. I was wrong. I could always double down and ask the TA to call Cunard, if that is, I thought they would have more success. Guess what....

Get it now? I don't think that having paid £2k to upgrade an already expensive booking it's too much to expect to get the correct tags.

Just to clarify, you should know that we didn't ungrade past their deadline. Cunard contacted me (via my excellent TA) and initiated the upsell. The print deadlines for this sort of stuff is measured in days, sometimes hours, not the several weeks since they got my money. If they cannot deliver the product, they shouldn't be offering the deal.

By the way, still no call from Cunard despite my three requests for a call back. Note the original title of the thread. Surely, that's not my TA's fault as well?

p.s. Apologies if this is a duplicate, the first disappeared when trying to edit a typo.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

I am curious to know what fancy colour codes apply to priority boarding and luggage delivery :confused:

Maybe I misunderstand the system. It's just that I've previously noticed our tags have had a different coloured stripe to some others. With some other lines it's more pronounced, the entire tag is differently coloured. However, I don't want to mislead you too far from the key point so let's concentrate on that.

The bottom line issue for me remains the same:

a) Got the wront items

b) Want the right items

c) Left three "get a call back" registrations over three days and the phone never rang.

d) Flushed with furstration I rang them anyway, waited for an hour on theline and eventually got through to Fawlty Towers.

I don't want to mislead you too far from the key point so let's concentrate on that.

In consideration of your response to my post I suggest you concentrate on the fact that if you book through a travel agent your contract is with them.