Non converting twins when upper berths are used 😳

Akarts

I'm cruising on the Triumph in August 2017 with my husband, two sons, and daughter. We booked an interior. We didn't mind being cramped, but just discovered the twins are not converted in this room if the upper berths are to be used. I called to find out if I could get an interior, even on a higher deck, that would convert. Nothing. I asked why it doesn't tell the customer this fact when booking. The rep said she didn't know but they probably should. Call me crazy but I want to sleep next to my husband on vacation. Upon scouring the net for pictures of the room set up it appears one of the bunks would not be assessable unless you stepped on the converted king bed. My sons are 6'2 and 6'4 so they could easily get up and down without the ladder. Is there any way we can still have them converted to a king? Thanks for any input 👍🏻🙂

Not saying the note was there. But I have seen a note on the room description many times that the twins don't convert when the uppers are used.

It's on the website when looking at the deck plans. If you click on the rooms while booking it gives info.

We had one of these rooms on the triumph and they converted the beds for us. To get to one of the uppers you either have to climb over the lower beds or walk under the other upper which may be an issue since your kids are so tall. I would just ask your room steward and they may put the beds together for you. 😄:)

not the carnival-- but will give you an idea why its not a good idea to keep the bottom beds together when the upper is being used.. it takes up all your floor space.

You will have to crouch down to get outta bed.

the only floor space you have is at the foot of the bed. With 4 people (two being very tall boys-- that floor space will be a premium

http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/dpwright92/media/SDC14112.jpg.html

PLUS a rollaway?

the roll away will need to go on the floor between the two lower beds-

there is no where else to put that bed.

Have you looked into what it will cost to get two cabins? it might surprise you that the cost is not that high

Edited by serene56

We had one of these rooms on the triumph and they converted the beds for us. To get to one of the uppers you either have to climb over the lower beds or walk under the other upper which may be an issue since your kids are so tall. I would just ask your room steward and they may put the beds together for you. 😄:)

did your cabin have 5 people?

not the carnival-- but will give you an idea why its not a good idea to keep the bottom beds together when the upper is being used.. it takes up all your floor space.

the only floor space you have is at the foot of the bed. With 4 people (two being very tall boys-- that floor space will be a premium

PLUS a rollaway?

Have you looked into what it will cost to get two cabins? it might surprise you that the cost is not that high

That's not a photo of a Carnival cabin.

But it could be, depending on the ship. Different decor though.

On Carnival the head of the larger bed could under a bunk.

There will be more walking around room if the lowers are kept apart.

PLUS a rollaway?

She did clarify that at the beginning of her post.

And right on the booking website when trying to reserve a 5-person interior:

This room includes:

Two twin beds (convert to king) and two upper pullmans. A trundle bed will be provided if a fifth guest is booked to this stateroom. Desk and seat. Full bathroom with shower. 3 closets.

Note: Twin beds do not convert to king when both upper pullmans in use.

Edited by StolidCruiser

They might convert it for you. I think it depends on the steward. It makes it difficult to make the bed. You might rethink it once you get in there. We did a cruise with the five of us in an inside once...once. Be aware that the roll-away is not a full-size roll-away like at a hotel. It is a mini cot on the floor. My 10yo son took up the whole length of it. We would have had zero floor space if the beds were pushed together.

We learned on that cruise is was soooo worth it to get two cabins. lol :)

Edited by tamirpr

why its not a good idea to keep the bottom beds together when the upper is being used.. it takes up all your floor space.

We had it before and it was really difficult at night. Had to ask the steward after 2 nights to revert back to twin.

They might convert it for you. I think it depends on the steward. It makes it difficult to make the bed. You might rethink it once you get in there. We did a cruise with the five of us in an inside once...once. Be aware that the roll-away is not a full-size roll-away like at a hotel. It is a mini cot on the floor. My 10yo son took up the whole length of it. We would have had zero floor space if the beds were pushed together.

We learned on that cruise is was soooo worth it to get two cabins. lol :)

There are two types of extra beds, a trundle like you had and a regular rollaway.

Is there anyway you could afford to upgrade to an ocean view?

I found a thread from 2012 which shows pictures of an ocean view cabin on the Triumph that sleeps 5. The twins are together, there is a couch, a bunk and a trundle.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34287127&postcount=13

We had an interior with 2 upper bunks and the twins were pushed together. It wasn't much of a problem getting in and out of any of the beds but it made the room feel very small and closed in. After 2 days we had the steward change it to 2 twins. By opening up that center area of the room it felt so much bigger, it was a lot more comfortable in the room.

We've had an ocean view before and we preferred that much more for the 4 of us than being in an interior. More room plus one of our children doesn't like sleeping in the upper Pullman (go figure) so he's much happier having the couch. The extra bathroom was a nice bonus too. It is just a sink and junior tub, no toilet, but it was great to have when trying to get all of us ready at the same time.

we had that set-up on a princess cruise. two twin beds - with the bunk on one , other bunk folded to the wall (because there only three of us - dd was 5)

i don't see how you'd maneuver if the king was in the middle of them, although the ladder openings were at the end of the bunks so in theory it would work.

i hope the interiors (we had not done an interior for many cruises before this) are bigger on carnival than princess because there were three of us and it was cramped - especially when dh got quarantined on day 2 for 48 hours - needless to say never booking an interior again - quarantine in an interior cabin is a special type of torture.

I'll see if we can dig up a pic of the room

Is there anyway you could afford to upgrade to an ocean view?

I found a thread from 2012 which shows pictures of an ocean view cabin on the Triumph that sleeps 5. The twins are together, there is a couch, a bunk and a trundle.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34287127&postcount=13

PLEASE notice the size of that trundle. There is no way one of these kids are going to fit on one of those

BUt I agree to look into booking an oceanview. or get the two cabins