Navigator 15th September - Rome to Athens

englandsrose

PS - if you're planning on touring Acre, I highly recommend Hummus Said. Incredible food in a chaotic little box. We fed five of us for about €5 or €6 before tip. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. :p

Bill,

Do you mean Akko? ( I think Akko may be the old name). I think we may have eaten in the same place - delicious.

The best falafel we had in all of Israel was in a small place with outdoor seating in the Jewish Quarter right before you approach the Wall. (though I would say not as good as L'as Du Falafel in the Marais in Paris)

The best Hummus was in a very small Arab village - by far the best Hummus we have had anywhere in the world. (I will try and see if kept the name of the village, I believe it was near the Hula Valley.)

Lynn

We just use the wait time as an excuse for another martini ;-)

I like your martini philosophy, :D but is it normal to have to wait like this on Regent? I'm considering a Regent cruise quite soon. We've never had to wait more than couple of minutes on SB or SS and your comment made me wonder if this is normal for Regent?

I like your martini philosophy, :D but is it normal to have to wait like this on Regent? I'm considering a Regent cruise quite soon. We've never had to wait more than couple of minutes on SB or SS and your comment made me wonder if this is normal for Regent?

Wish there were a simple answer but it depends upon a couple of things. When Regent has special events prior to dinner (Captain's Reception, Seven Seas Society Cocktail Party and Captain's Farewell with the crew show), the majority of passengers head to CR (Compass Rose) all at once. On these nights we recommend getting to CR when it opens (6:30 p.m.) or waiting until after 8:00 p.m. In general, the busiest time, according to the crew on Regent, is from 7:15 - 8:15 p.m. Most of the time, outside of those hours, there is a very short wait. Sette Mari is another dining venue that can get very crowded - very fast (generally between 6:30 and 7:30 p.m.).

The specialty restaurants stagger their reservations. For this reason, you can go to Prime 7, for example, at 6:30 p.m. and wonder why there was such difficulty getting a reservation since many tables are vacant. Obviously, having passengers arrive at different times is easier for the crew and allows them time to deliver drinks, take orders and deliver appetizers before the next group of diners come in. Having 400-500 people show up at the exact same time in any restaurant - on land or at sea puts a burden on the servers as well as the chefs (unless there is a set menu which there was on the Explorer when all guests needed to be done eating by 8:30 p.m.)

There have been a few issues on this cruise

1) a lot of European guests who all turn up between 7 and 8 and want tables for 2

2) new menu with LOTS of choice putting additional pressure on the waiting staff to get it right as well as the kitchen.

3) iPads being introduced and then taken away and then Introduced and taken away again. Our waiter wrote out the order tonight....

To be fair we had a 20 minute wait tonight but once seated the service was exemplary and we had a wonderful meal.

In that 20 minute wait we certainly did have another martini!

The production shows have been first class and the wifi connection had been the best I have ever had at sea - I even managed to FaceTime my dogs tonight!

Any questions please ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There have been a few issues on this cruise

1) a lot of European guests who all turn up between 7 and 8 and want tables for 2 Just the luck of the draw, I guess.

2) new menu with LOTS of choice putting additional pressure on the waiting staff to get it right as well as the kitchen.

3) iPads being introduced and then taken away and then Introduced and taken away again. Our waiter wrote out the order tonight.... Our waitstaff had the tablets in July and it was a huge help for them. Must be tough for them if they work/don't work/work/etc...

To be fair we had a 20 minute wait tonight but once seated the service was exemplary and we had a wonderful meal.

In that 20 minute wait we certainly did have another martini! Excellent!

The production shows have been first class and the wifi connection had been the best I have ever had at sea - I even managed to FaceTime my dogs tonight! That is very good news, and a pleasant surprise. As I've stated numerous times before, it was hideous on our cruise - glad they got it sorted!!

Any questions please ask.

My comments above in red. :D

Wish there were a simple answer but it depends upon a couple of things. When Regent has special events prior to dinner (Captain's Reception, Seven Seas Society Cocktail Party and Captain's Farewell with the crew show), the majority of passengers head to CR (Compass Rose) all at once. On these nights we recommend getting to CR when it opens (6:30 p.m.) or waiting until after 8:00 p.m. In general, the busiest time, according to the crew on Regent, is from 7:15 - 8:15 p.m. Most of the time, outside of those hours, there is a very short wait. Sette Mari is another dining venue that can get very crowded - very fast (generally between 6:30 and 7:30 p.m.).

The specialty restaurants stagger their reservations. For this reason, you can go to Prime 7, for example, at 6:30 p.m. and wonder why there was such difficulty getting a reservation since many tables are vacant. Obviously, having passengers arrive at different times is easier for the crew and allows them time to deliver drinks, take orders and deliver appetizers before the next group of diners come in. Having 400-500 people show up at the exact same time in any restaurant - on land or at sea puts a burden on the servers as well as the chefs (unless there is a set menu which there was on the Explorer when all guests needed to be done eating by 8:30 p.m.)

Thank you. We prefer to dine later so CR shouldn't be a problem even on the evenings of special events before dinner. But it looks as if the set menu on the Explorer would be a non starter as I usually begin dinner around 8.30pm, it would be far too early for me.

3) iPads being introduced and then taken away and then Introduced and taken away again. Our waiter wrote out the order tonight....

We experienced similar when iPads were introduced on SB quite some time ago. We called it the iPad Hokey Cokey, they were in, they were out, and I was ready to shake them all about! :D

Thank you. We prefer to dine later so CR shouldn't be a problem even on the evenings of special events before dinner. But it looks as if the set menu on the Explorer would be a non starter as I usually begin dinner around 8.30pm, it would be far too early for me.

I've never heard of a "set menu" on Regent :confused: Is this something new that has been introduced?

I've never heard of a "set menu" on Regent :confused: Is this something new that has been introduced?

hi flossie

I was replying after it was mentioned by TC2 earlier in the thread. For some reason I can't bring her quote here but this is a c & p :

"(unless there is a set menu which there was on the Explorer when all guests needed to be done eating by 8:30 p.m.)"

I've never been on Regent so I know nothing about it, hopefully TC2 will tell you more about it.

Save

Save

We had a set menu for a special event that began at 8:30 p.m. and concluded quite late which is not typical on Regent. I was using a "set menu" as an example of how 400-600 people arriving at a restaurant at the same time is sometimes handled at restaurants for efficiency purposes (usually for weddings and other large events). If even 400 people arrived at a restaurant at the same time (as happens on Regent after the events described in an earlier post) and ordered from a rather large menu, it would be a challenge. Dining at 8:30 p.m. on any Regent ship is not a problem.

We had a set menu for a special event that began at 8:30 p.m. and concluded quite late which is not typical on Regent. I was using a "set menu" as an example of how 400-600 people arriving at a restaurant at the same time is sometimes handled at restaurants for efficiency purposes (usually for weddings and other large events). If even 400 people arrived at a restaurant at the same time (as happens on Regent after the events described in an earlier post) and ordered from a rather large menu, it would be a challenge. Dining at 8:30 p.m. on any Regent ship is not a problem.

I understand now! I thought you were meaning that everyone who had the set menu had to be finished by 8.30pm. It seems that you were saying that it was the other diners who had to be finished by that time, before the special set menu was served. Thank you!

The cruise still continues to delight! I am sat in Galileos at the moment and we are rocking and rolling a bit!

Just walked up to P7 and they will have a table for us in about 20 minutes with no reservation so I am happy!

Israel was the absolute highlight of this trip for us - everything I read or was taught as a child on religious education has come to life - truly amazing place and definitely need to come back.

Rhodes tomorrow and Patmos the day after and then onto Athens and reality and a diet will start!

Final thoughts on our Navigator cruise as I sit waiting to get off - I will try and put my ramblings into some semblance of order. Excuse any typos I am typing this on my phone.

Restaurants

La veranda - food and service for breakfast and lunch outstanding - we always managed to get a seat and it never felt particularly rushed.

Sette Mari - we dined there on 4 occasions - absolutely stunning - food and service impeccable. A lovely ambiance and very relaxing dinners.

Prime 7 - ate here twice - excellent food and wonderful service - again lovely relaxing dinners.

Compass Rose - as previously stated the new menu along with iPads were introduced at the beginning of our cruise - there was also at least 70% European guests who are not so keen on sharing tables as well as excellent production shows at 9.30 which were very well attended. This culminated in an influx of requests for tables for 2 from 7pm onwards and a rush of complex orders on the kitchen. Coupled with the new tech and new staff (lots of waiters on first contracts) led to a bit of a disaster on occasions. Dishes were forgotten - on one occasion my husband missed a complete course. I felt so bad for Christian the restaurant manager as he was constantly trying to manage upset guests. There were nightly meetings apparently and more tables for 2 added as the cruise went by. I must admit on occasions it did feel a bit stressy in there hence why we dined in Seti Mari so often.

Entertainment and Shows

The shows were amazing - we have done several regent cruises and have never really been blown away before with JAR. These were Regent cast (Norweigian) and they did 5 shows - they were absolutely outstanding - the production, costumes, graphics and of course performers were first class - most shows got a standing ovation. They were modern and interesting and a very talented team. 4 singers and 8 dancers.

Other entertainment - they had a Belgian/French ventriloquist who wasn't to my taste to be honest - also a Russian Chelloist - again not really to my taste. Each evening there was a pianist in the Navigator Lounge who was well received and in Galileos each evening the Regent band played - they were a very talented bunch. Most evenings the Lounge was busy until quite late - another first for us with Regent when historically it's been like a ghost ship on occasions.

Bars

The bar staff without exception were excellent - the pool bar service was first class - better than any other Regent cruise that we have done previously. Evening bars were also excellent the same as any other Regent cruise

Destination Services - all Of the excursions we did especially the Israeli ones were excellent. The destination services team were also brilliant - very friendly and greeted us warmly on our return from all excursions. They get a bad press, but I can honestly say on this cruise they were excellent - friendly and helpful.

Staff overall - lots of new staff on first contracts so they are still learning the Regent way - most of them got it - some of them were having to be trained on the job - no big issues at all, (apart from Compass Rosr) but you could see that they were learning.

Internet

I was worried about this before the cruise as I needed to connect to work for emails - Internet was absolutely fine - a bit of a pain having to disconnect and reconnect as only one device pet state room - but the download speeds were fine and enabled me to see the stuff I needed to! Obviously not high speed broadband, and I had to wait for things to download but perfectly acceptable for very thing I needed.

Suite - we were in a concierge suite 726 - it was perfectly positioned and mid ships - we did feel a bit of vibration when we hit rough seas but the whole ship did at that point - lots of bangs and crashes that night. Suite was lovely I really liked the new decor and layout - and there was more than enough storage for everything. Bathroom was fine and water pressure in the shower was also good.

Summary

Regent is up to its usual standards although there are some service issues which need to be addressed in Compass Rose and I am confident they will be as long as they can retain the good staff who will be feeling the pressure because of the not so good. Navigator is in great shape after the recent refurb. Because it is a small ship we very quickly got to know people - I have to say this is probably the friendliest cruise we have ever done - everybody regardless of where they came from wanted to enjoy themselves and we had some great days and nights and conversations with new friends. The block party was well attended early on in the cruise and is a great way to get to know the neighbours.

Depending on itinerary we would of course cruise Navigator in a heart beat.

Sitting in the lounge at Athens Airport after our first Regent cruise which has been great. We will certainly sail with them again given the right itinerary.

I agree pretty much with EnglandRose's review except that the experience in CR for dinner over the last 5 nights has been so much better and a real pleasure.