Question about Quest Game

Robinola

I was on Grandeur last month and was thrilled that new questions were added. I've seen the Quest at least 10 times and it's one thing that I won't ever miss.

Just signed up for Allure Sept 2017 and we have never cruised with RCL before, please, what is this Quest game that everyone is so excited about and you have seen 10 times ??

How do they pick teams ? Where is it held ? Is it a 'one and done' or is it played several times during a 7 day cruise ?

I have no idea what Quest is, but the excitement oozing from everyone's posts has me excited too !

Thank you for any light you can shed,

Kristine

Just signed up for Allure Sept 2017 and we have never cruised with RCL before, please, what is this Quest game that everyone is so excited about and you have seen 10 times ??

How do they pick teams ? Where is it held ? Is it a 'one and done' or is it played several times during a 7 day cruise ?

I have no idea what Quest is, but the excitement oozing from everyone's posts has me excited too !

Thank you for any light you can shed,

Kristine

Quest is one night during the week and gets real crowded so get there early. Teams are split by where you are sitting as they just have sections for each team. It is a different experience each time as it is a human scavenger hunt/race some are better than others but always a good time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is funny but I would definitely sit towards the back away from the teams if you are not participating to avoid any chance of being trampled

Whenever I go I am always holding my breath worrying that somebody is going to get seriously hurt rushing the stage/ jumping over chairs, etc

People get very competitive in that game

Quest is one night during the week and gets real crowded so get there early. Teams are split by where you are sitting as they just have sections for each team. It is a different experience each time as it is a human scavenger hunt/race some are better than others but always a good time.

Thanks for the reply, rum & monkey, but it raises more questions than it answered. How on earth do you have a scavenger hunt aboard a ship ?? The ones I've participated in were at Mall of America and just involved taking a photo with your phone. The ones I did as a kid involved going to a neighbors house and asking for the item. Who do you ask for a scavenged item ? Is it going out on decks and button holing people for items on the scavenge list ?

The logistics of it are making my head spin, which very likely means I'm overthinking it. When you're done laughing at me (I am a space cadet/Looney Tune), please straighten me out.

I thank you for any help you can give me.

Kristine

Thanks for the reply, rum & monkey, but it raises more questions than it answered. How on earth do you have a scavenger hunt aboard a ship ?? The ones I've participated in were at Mall of America and just involved taking a photo with your phone. The ones I did as a kid involved going to a neighbors house and asking for the item. Who do you ask for a scavenged item ? Is it going out on decks and button holing people for items on the scavenge list ?

The logistics of it are making my head spin, which very likely means I'm overthinking it. When you're done laughing at me (I am a space cadet/Looney Tune), please straighten me out.

Kristine

No it's a scavenger hunt in the room. Some are being vague because it takes away from the surprise of the game, but they may ask for something and because of the time limit, you won't have time to run out to get the item. Therefore, it needs to be there. That's why someone said there are cheaters who come with things asked from another quest game sailing.

I hope that helps explain it. It's a lot of fun and I promise you it's a lot more fun going in not knowing everything.

Kristine

Just go and you will have fun. It is for things passengers would have on them, and sometimes it is actual people. Your team may need a certain number of items or people and it is a race to get the items to the judges as you get points for being the first team to finish the quest. Each team (section of the room) has two team captains that are responsible for getting the quest to the judges to get points. Points are given for completing the quest in the time limit with more points to the first place team. Hopefully this makes more sense now.You do each "item" as an individual quest rather than getting a list of items.

It is fun and hilarious! Our team won on Adventure in October of last year! I haven't been to Quest that I didn't enjoy yet! It is amazing what people will do in this game knowing the kind of prizes you get for winning! It's like Vegas.....What goes on in Quest stays in Quest.....Unless you get posted on YouTube! :eek::cool:

Edited by bigque

Is this something you can go to just to watch, or does everyone in the room get into a team and are highly encouraged to participate in? I have never been to one, and really just want to go to and watch. Is that ok?

This is another, your mileage may vary kind of thing. On the bigger ships where they hold the Quest in the ice rink, its big enough that you can get away with sitting in the back or just not participating. On Jewel in 2012 the CD Dennis Charles made a real effort to get everyone involved. He picked the captains from around the much smaller room (Safari lounge?) He then pointed several groups of people and told them whose team they were on. I think he even said, "There will be no voyeurs here" Of course, nobody can force you to participate, but you can be shamed. :p

Just off a 2 week Med cruise on Navigator. No sign of the Quest in the itinerary.

Given someone was stretchered off last time I saw it on Freedom I wondered if it had been dropped due to Health and Safety

Is there a chance you missed it in the Compass? I've never been on an RCI cruise, including Med, that didn't have it.

Just go and you will have fun. It is for things passengers would have on them, and sometimes it is actual people. Your team may need a certain number of items or people and it is a race to get the items to the judges as you get points for being the first team to finish the quest. Each team (section of the room) has two team captains that are responsible for getting the quest to the judges to get points. Points are given for completing the quest in the time limit with more points to the first place team. Hopefully this makes more sense now.You do each "item" as an individual quest rather than getting a list of items.

Thanks ! I guess I got confused because people kept mentioning questions thrown out to the teams and then it sounded like what it was, a scavenger hunt. It sounds like fun and I'm definitely going to participate !!

Kristine

No it's a scavenger hunt in the room. Some are being vague because it takes away from the surprise of the game, but they may ask for something and because of the time limit, you won't have time to run out to get the item. Therefore, it needs to be there. That's why someone said there are cheaters who come with things asked from another quest game sailing.

I hope that helps explain it. It's a lot of fun and I promise you it's a lot more fun going in not knowing everything.

Thank you for answering my "Quest"ion. I think it sounds like fun and I appreciate the vagueness now. I love surprises so I will be participating, it saddens me though that people would cheat ! It's a game, it's a vacation, sheesh !

Kristine

Is there a chance you missed it in the Compass? I've never been on an RCI cruise, including Med, that didn't have it.

Just had another scan through every compass - hope. No mention. Others in the Cruise Critic group were discussing this on the last night also so I'm sure it wasn't done

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Edited by Rotherham_Cruiser

it saddens me though that people would cheat ! It's a game, it's a vacation, sheesh !

Kristine

I really understand the sentiment, but after awhile, those cheaters are the sad ones, I still manage to go and have a good time. I'm about to go on Majesty for the 4th time. Majesty when it was doing 3-4 day cruises had the most well prepared cheaters that cruise the ship many times per year.

I don't know if that will be any different now that she is sailing out of Port Canaveral.