Oh dear, Rhapsody is in the wars again!

heatherb1958

Twice in six months? I'm starting to get concerned about my voyage in Feb.

I don't think that either hoopster or biker mentioned any damage caused by the heel. Ships are free floating objects that will lean and roll as they will.

Biker;

I just looked at Rhapsody's specs, and see that she is a prop and rudder ship. These cruise ships tend to have "Becker" rudders, which have a trim tab on the trailing edge, like an airplane's ailerons. These help when the ship is moving very slowly, like when docking, as rudders tend to lose effectiveness at below 5 knots. The trim tab creates an airfoil shape that creates "lift" sideways as the water flows past the rudder. This could also exaggerate the canal effect in a channel.

This could also exaggerate the canal effect in a channel.

In thinking back I think the list happened during the turn on the way into the narrowest passage toward Kotor so there may have been some of those underwater currents going on in combination with what you mentioned.

Hi everyone,

Had another great evening onboard, we went to Giovanni's and watched the sunset over the island in the Caldera. We ate early and sailed at 7.30pm ish.

For anyone who is doing this itinerary and visits Santorini if you walk up the 600 steps and walk down, like I did , you will return smelling like a donkey!!!! OMG my clothes smelled and I didn't even sit on one of those poor animals.

We have stayed on Santorini for 2 weeks in May 2004 so there is no need for myself or DH to

do any touring so I just wanted to see what the walk was like up the steps.

NEVER AGAIN !!!

I'm doing a full review when I get back, have already started to write it. Having the time of my life!! Just came off the tender after my second trip over ... absolutely love Santorini [emoji7]

Unless I haven't been paying attention, I have yet to hear the captain specifically say what happened. I will make it a point to attend the Captains Talk. Kotor for us is on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you tell me if there are duty free shops in each port ..I'm looking to buy cigarettes & Spirits ..Kind regards ..looking forward to your review ..x

Hi everyone,

Had another great evening onboard, we went to Giovanni's and watched the sunset over the island in the Caldera. We ate early and sailed at 7.30pm ish.

For anyone who is doing this itinerary and visits Santorini if you walk up the 600 steps and walk down, like I did , you will return smelling like a donkey!!!! OMG my clothes smelled and I didn't even sit on one of those poor animals.

We have stayed on Santorini for 2 weeks in May 2004 so there is no need for myself or DH to

NEVER AGAIN !!!

Ha ha ..Thanks for the tip !!!:D

What, you don't appreciate the aroma of eau du âne?

Reporting from Elia Beach in Mykonos! The glass was replaced in VCL yesterday and we actually ended up leaving port at 8:00pm as they needed some extra time to finish it. The glass, however, is not tinted so you have to really look hard to realize that it has been replaced. When I get back to the ship, I'll be checking to see if it's been reopened.

There are duty free shops in each port as far as I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Reporting from Elia Beach in Mykonos! The glass was replaced in VCL yesterday and we actually ended up leaving port at 8:00pm as they needed some extra time to finish it. The glass, however, is not tinted so you have to really look hard to realize that it has been replaced. When I get back to the ship, I'll be checking to see if it's been reopened....

That's good news, thanks for the update.:)

At dinner last night our table mates had been talking to a crew member that said the officer working took too sharp of a turn while in the storm which caused the ship to list, he hasn't been seen since. Not sure if this was true but this is what they were told. Our head waiter told us that they lost a lot of the dining room dishes and used all the replacements they had on hand that were supposed to cover them until November and also had to purchase as much as they could in Athens yesterday.

We were in a storm on the Jewel a few years ago in 35 foot waves and 200km winds out of Boston and we were on deck 9 second cabin from the front and the listing was way worse this time than what we experienced on that cruise. When I looked outside our hallway door it was full of people with life jackets so we decided to go up to the 5th floor. I was more nervous being in the room with the window with what had happened in April.

There was a gentleman only wearing his white briefs and one sock. He was like that for over a half hour that I know off. His wife was dressed though. We did see people crying.

Everything on our dresser was thrown and against our window.

What I was most disappointed about was that the captain never really addressed what happened. When we ran into the storm out of Boston the captain was amazing and had a presentation and Q&A in the theatre to explain the storm that we went through and showed us pictures of the waves coming over the 5th floor decks and the radar map showing what we went through. Everyone really appreciated that as it gave us a better understanding of what the bridge crew went through for over 12 hours battling the storm as it turned paths and we couldn't get out of it. This makes me think this was user error as its all been kept so quiet.

I was informed by the guest services manager that the decision not to give any explanation to the passengers was made by the Miami office. This suggests to me that they have something to hide, or why would they not do as they did on the Jewel and have a question + answer session or at the very least have delivered a simple letter of explanation to all cabins. We'll never know the truth

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

As one who has been prominently misquoted by Walker, let me say that I don't care whether he gets linked here or not, it just means I've got to set the facts straight more often. I read his blog for my daily chuckle, 'cause that's all its worth. Every article he posts has either a ridiculous, innacurate claim, or a downright wrong "fact". I don't find it worth my time to try to post rebuttals to him, since it won't matter anyway.

Oh please....

We are back home now after a great cruise. The itinerary was fantastic and we did not lose any of the ports due to the "incident".

I took a picture of the itinerary map which shows the track of the ship.

Part of the track had been wiped but you can clearly see the ship did a 90 degree turn.

It was explained to me that the ship was caught in a vortex and the ship had to do a sharp turn to escape it. As there was no written explanation received we will never know for sure.

Hi everyone,

NEVER AGAIN !!!

Wow are you crazy walking up the steps and back down lol. We just walked down them and it nearly killed us, the humidity was terrible. We crawled to the queue for the tender, thank goodness there was staff there offering iced towels and water.

"in the wars" is a British saying for somebody who has been hurt or looks as though they've been in a struggle. If you Google the phrase there are lots of explanations as to the meaning. I can't give a link as I'm using my phone at the moment (and don't know how😊)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forums mobile app

Sorry but I just have to ask- I'm still trying to figure out from the title of this discussion what war Rhapsody was in! :rolleyes:

Me too.

The ship was caught in a vortex? That's terrifying! :eek:

Guys, it is an idiom.

Rhapsody had several cabin windows go through on deck 3 earlier in the year, the cruise continued but several guests had to disembark after only one day on the ship due to their cabins being completely flooded. It was reported on here.

Rhapsody being badly damaged again so soon surely puts her "in the wars " in my book. I am from England, we share a common language but then again :).

Thanks Sue for explaining.:)

Edited by heatherb1958