Uluru/Ayers Rock in News?? Climbing?? Updates!!

TLCOhio

Boil up of Yabbies, damper and butter, bit of salad, sitting on the logs round the fire.

Then the guitar,white fella/black fella, everyone had to do a ditty,song,mime,something.Was and is brilliant, and no GROG.

Sounds good to me.

Just to let people know, the Tjukurrpa (dreaming), is not solely connected to Uluru, it is everywhere .We are River people, Barkinji, and round Tiboorburra.

So we are told we are not,entirely river people, its complex, very complex, we can also be reffered to as nothings, wanderers, it is very hard to get ones head around, but we try.

So back to the Tjukerrpa, no-body owns it, its every-ones who wants to believe.

Also there is no such thing as dreamtime,that is a made-up word to suit, an explanation.

It is Tjukurrpa or dreaming.It is connected to spiritual sites.

Yep,brilliant story, and that is what happened, but I am shocked, what no kanga tail, or goanna.:eek:

If your Aunty was close to the indigenous community,she would have been viewed as aboriginal by association, and I might add well respected.

She was very well respected, to put it bluntly they loved her like a mother, and she them, in fact one of the aboriginal girls who lived with them is buried in the family plot, with their surname.

She was very well respected, to put it bluntly they loved her like a mother, and she them, in fact one of the aboriginal girls who lived with them is buried in the family plot, with their surname.

Yep, love it, it is as it is and is how it should be.

We have aunties and grandmothers that we wouldn't even look sideways at .LOL.

It is as it is and is how it should be.:):)

We have youngies looking at us, looking for leadership, white and black, it is how it is and is how it should be.

Crap, now means we have to be RESPONSIBLE, Were not ready to be adults yet Damn.;):)

Just to let people know, the Tjukurrpa (dreaming), is not solely connected to Uluru, it is everywhere .We are River people, Barkinji, and round Tiboorburra.

So we are told we are not,entirely river people, its complex, very complex, we can also be reffered to as nothings, wanderers, it is very hard to get ones head around, but we try.

Also there is no such thing as dreamtime,that is a made-up word to suit, an explanation.

Thank you for staying strong and confident, and telling it.

No there are not numerous groups that come and go.Totally Incorrect It is only sacred to the Anangu Aboriginal.Incorrect again They are the ONLY group of Aboriginal that have a sacred connection with the land there and the ONLY group to have occupied the area.Should read/they are the only group that have occupied the area with a direct sacred connection

The key point is respect, and respect travels both ways.

I agree,

In regards to what I have posted, whether it is right or wrong, I can only go on what was I was told by the various indigenous guides that we had for the various activities around the rock and other areas and I have to respect what they have said. I am sorry if I have offended anyone or got anything wrong.

Edited by MicCanberra

The Anangu people are made up of many groups/tribes that I made reference to.

Mic you got this right,The Anangu ,came from the north, quite a few tribes,i can see what you are saying,unfortunatley,your comment was taken somewhat out of context.

The Anangu came from many tribes and has been linked to Torres Strait Islanders

I guess what you are saying is that many tribes or wanderers made up the group,those Who travelled would have adhered to the laws and customs of the local area.

Mic you got this right,The Anangu ,came from the north, quite a few tribes,i can see what you are saying,unfortunatley,your comment was taken somewhat out of context.

The Anangu came from many tribes and has been linked to Torres Strait Islanders

I guess what you are saying is that many tribes or wanderers made up the group,those Who travelled would have adhered to the laws and customs of the local area.

Cheers,

I suppose I was a bit frustrated with being told that I was wrong when I knew what I had been told and what I had learnt was directly from the people of the area and not from out of a book. I too have done many indigenous cultural training through work and the one thing I do know is it is very complex and the best thing is to show respect, listen and learn and do not make assumptions.

Cheers,

I suppose I was a bit frustrated with being told that I was wrong when I knew what I had been told and what I had learnt was directly from the people of the area and not from out of a book. I too have done many indigenous cultural training through work and the one thing I do know is it is very complex and the best thing is to show respect, listen and learn and do not make assumptions.

True of just about any relationship mate, a bit of respect goes a looooooong way. Then even if you made a faux pas it's likely to be recognised as such.

Well that's what I've found anyway.

I agree,

In regards to what I have posted, whether it is right or wrong, I can only go on what was I was told by the various indigenous guides that we had for the various activities around the rock and other areas and I have to respect what they have said. I am sorry if I have offended anyone or got anything wrong.

Well you certainly haven't offended me,i have quite enjoyed this discussion and the SHARING of viewpoints:)

No-one has said anything wrong.

Believe it or not,your prob not round a fire,or sitting on a log eating tucker.

But you just paticpated in your own Tjukurrpa,no-one owns that but you.You can share,and sleep well knowing that you have shared a view in a dignified way.

That's what that warm, fuzzy feeling is that you have got now,its your Tjukurppa,its yours.Now sleep well,and I bet you do.:):):)

Indeed, I have no interest in visiting Ayers Rock, I don't like the way it is managed. The locals want you to pay through the neck for visiting, but then you cannot touch it. Many locals families are living off the Ayers Rock tourist dollar.

I don't agree with it being Aboriginal land either, it belongs to all Australians.

It makes a lot of people rich. A tour guide/coach driver earns a good $2,000 per week just to work there with only $180 a week rent and minimal expenses for food.

I too do not like the way it is managed. When you see the Aboriginal community there you see their culture has been totally destroyed and while the tourist dollars are good for them to survive, the money is not good for their culture. They have no tolerance to sugar which is causing major health problems and obesity, alcohol and cigarettes are another problem. The other issue tourists find offensive is the fact that none of the Aboriginals have any dress sense. They wear dirty old clothes and stink because of not having a shower. What we do not realise with that is that our civilisation prior to colonialism had centuries of dress sense and bathing passed on through our generations, so in effect trying to teach semi-nomadic people a whole new way of life is not going to rub off on them in just a few generations since the area was colonised. What the tourists are seeing is this and they are not forming good impressions because and the Aboriginals lose credibility because of the forced adaptation.

My personal opinion is that with the Aboriginals is that the should not be getting any money, assistance, they should not be given any alcohol or cigarettes and they should be left to their own way of life in designated areas for them to inhabit only and live their traditional way of life that they chose to live without having to adapt to our way of life. Kind of like what is happening in some areas in Brazil.

I do not agree with the other people who claim to be Aboriginal posting some comments here because it is not the way the Aboriginals see things out in the red centre. They love the tourism because it is keeping them alive but they also hate the other Aboriginal groups trying to profit from something they have no claim to. The resort sends money to all Indigenous Australians and this still has some contention for the traditional owners to accept and deal with.

I can comment form my personal observations, education there and the interaction I have had with the locals there.

Some of the Aboriginal women out there are making $400 from selling single paintings on a daily basis to tourists who come to see that rock. So they are doing quite well for themselves yet they have no comprehension how to use it as it is all spent on booze and the same people that sell those expensive paintings are in the local bank each day asking for cash advances because they ran out. Something does need to be changed there.

None of this would have happened if those fellas didn't arrive on that cruise ship in 1788.lol.

Pure Gold.

Not wishing to offend anyone, but the abundance of revenue from 'The Rock' has led to the ruination and demise of many local families out there, alcohol, drugs, domestic violence, criminal offences etc. I feel sad for them, truly.

We are all mates on here, irrespective of background, right?

Edited by NSWP

Pure Gold.

Not wishing to offend anyone, but the abundance of revenue from 'The Rock' has led to the ruination and demise of many local families out there, alcohol, drugs, domestic violence, criminal offences etc. I feel sad for them, truly.

That is exactly how their elders see it as you describe it. They honestly want to go back to living their traditional ways but thanks to the colonisation they have lost that ability because of forced integration and adaptation. They now get their food from supermarkets instead of hunting and as such lose their skills. They now have an abundance of time on their hands thanks to no hunting, gathering which leads to drug and alcohol abuse to fill in the time.

Some of them do try to adapt and promote their culture to tourism but it is not enough by numbers to change the sad effect alcohol is having on their community. Many people know scientifically that Europeans have built up a resistance to alcohol over thousands of years. The Aboriginals of central Australia have not tasted alcohol until the 1930's and it devastated their community.

To the best of my knowledge that is totally incorrect and totally misleading. The Tjukurpa as you put it is a word only the four central desert language people will know and they certainly resent the word dreaming or dreamtime. That is one word they despise. Like all religions from Christianity, Judaism, and even the beliefs of ancient Rome, the Aboriginals believe their creation stories to be real. The use of the word "dreaming" implies something made up which is why they hate the word. That is something a real Aboriginal would know.

Sure different groups have different explanations as to how things came to be but what you fail to understand is that at the specific location of Uluru and Kata Tjuta the stories are only unique to them and the Anganu consider the stories their property and some aspects they will not pass on to non Anganu.

Edited by Brisbane41

Pure Gold.

Except me and a few others.:p