Kindest thing you can do...

Longstockingpippi1

for many of your fellow passengers is to take the stairs if you are physically able. Parents with strollers, people with wheelchairs, canes or crutches don't have the option of using the stairs. If you could also remind your children not to view the elevator is a form of entertainment it would be appreciated. Thank you from Kelly's mom (she is a wheelchair user).

90% of the time I take the stairs. 100% of the time my wife takes the stairs.

When I do take the elevator, my wife is waiting for me 99% of the time. It seems the more floors we cover the longer she is waiting for me.

So if you have good knees... our experience is you'll get to the buffet first by taking the stairs ;)

-Sean

Hi All,

I am a scooter user and until they invent a hover scooter I have to use the lifts.

As it has been said you are somewhat invisible whilst using a scooter or wheelchair, people don't see you, as a scooter user you have to be aware of your surroundings including to the rear as many people will walk past you then suddenly walk in front of you then stop, as scooters don't stop on a sixpence you end up driving into them even though you have released the "go" paddle.

I will wait my turn all I ask is that people allow a bit of space when entering and especially exiting lifts for wheelchair and scooter (or any mobility aid) users.

Pete

Edited by Enforcer

My wife is part of the invisible disability group. She has an L3 to L5 spinal fusion and a spinal cord stimulator implanted in her back to help with nerve damage she received from a car accident several years ago. She has good days where she can climb one or two flights of stairs and bad days where she has to use a cane or a wheelchair. We have seen the looks and heard many comments over the years but whenever we see someone on a scooter or a wheelchair our mindset is that they get on first if we are waiting for an elevator as there will always be another one.

We use stairs if it is only a floor or two, but otherwise always use the elevator. Why? Different reason: we don't touch the handrails to help minimize the chances of norovirus. More than a couple of floors and that may become a problem. That being said, Many a time I've jumped ahead to hold the door for someone in a wheelchair or scooter. It is amazing how some people literally rush around mobility-challenged folks to beat them onto the elevator.

Of course, there was one time when the doors opened to a half full elevator and someone on a scooter that had been waiting for more than a bit yelled, "coming through!" and shot onto the elevator. He ran over several toes and almost hit the back of the elevator. All he said was, "oops." :eek: This was on my first cruise and my wife and I were in shock!

See below

We use stairs if it is only a floor or two, but otherwise always use the elevator. Why? Different reason: we don't touch the handrails to help minimize the chances of norovirus. More than a couple of floors and that may become a problem. That being said, Many a time I've jumped ahead to hold the door for someone in a wheelchair or scooter. It is amazing how some people literally rush around mobility-challenged folks to beat them onto the elevator. THANK YOU!!

Of course, there was one time when the doors opened to a half full elevator and someone on a scooter that had been waiting for more than a bit yelled, "coming through!" and shot onto the elevator. He ran over several toes and almost hit the back of the elevator. All he said was, "oops." :eek: This was on my first cruise and my wife and I were in shock!That was totally uncalled for. Often, when people complain about scooter users, they have had an experience like this.

We use stairs if it is only a floor or two, but otherwise always use the elevator. Why? Different reason: we don't touch the handrails to help minimize the chances of norovirus. lue"]You sound like me, on the one cruise my daughter and I have taken I was OCD about the railings and basically anything we touched...lol. [/color] More than a couple of floors and that may become a problem. That being said, Many a time I've jumped ahead to hold the door for someone in a wheelchair or scooter. It is amazing how some people literally rush around mobility-challenged folks to beat them onto the elevator.

Of course, there was one time when the doors opened to a half full elevator and someone on a scooter that had been waiting for more than a bit yelled, "coming through!" and shot onto the elevator. He ran over several toes and almost hit the back of the elevator. All he said was, "oops." :eek: This was on my first cruise and my wife and I were in shock!

Not condoning his behavior but I've been to the breaking point like that.

Edited by Longstockingpippi1
change color

... then suddenly walk in front of you then stop, as scooters don't stop on a sixpence you end up driving into them even though you have released the "go" paddle.

HA! I do that when I'm walking. Especially when I'm walking behind my wife in the grocery store. She has this habit of stopping abruptly in the middle of the aisle to ... I don't know, use her x-ray vision to see if what she needs is in the next aisle over?