Kindest thing you can do...

Longstockingpippi1

I'm suffering from a trapped nerve in the neck at the moment which is incredibly painful and although I look healthy walking is uncomfortable as are stairs. If I had to use the lift people would probably think I was one of the selfish people we are talking about.

Hidden ailments are difficult.

No hidden ailments aren't the difficulty, judgemental people are.

Should have added that if the choice for the lift was me or a wheelchair user, then obviously the chair user must have priority. I can do the stairs, the person in the chair can't.

There are a lot of selfish people in the world; me, myself and I seems to have become the norm. I wonder how they would feel if they suddenly found themselves in a wheelchair? Other than having a lift attendant in all lifts, I can't see things changing in the short term.

My husband and I have always taken the stairs instead of the elevators on our cruises for the same reason: to leave the elevators for the people who need it.

Well, towards the end of our last cruise my husband fell on the stairs, tore his quad tendon and had to have surgery when we got home. (Not drunk, as we don't drink alcohol). Long story short, thousands of dollars and months of physical therapy later, we will never use the stairs again. Ever. That's not to say that we won't give priority to those with disabilities, but it's the elevator only for us for now on!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My husband and I have always taken the stairs instead of the elevators on our cruises for the same reason: to leave the elevators for the people who need it.

Well, towards the end of our last cruise my husband fell on the stairs, tore his quad tendon and had to have surgery when we got home. (Not drunk, as we don't drink alcohol). Long story short, thousands of dollars and months of physical therapy later, we will never use the stairs again. Ever. That's not to say that we won't give priority to those with disabilities, but it's the elevator only for us for now on!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that...Stairs can be dangerous that is true! I see more injuries going up the stairs than down, people (myself included) misjudge and end up falling forward. Guess the motto is slow and steady and USE THE HANDRAIL. Was travel insurance able to cover it?

Two things ...

(1) DH uses a mobility scooter. On our last cruise a group of teenaged girls crowded onto the elevator in front of us (we were there first). I held the door and said to them that it is polite to let people who where there first on the elevator first. They apologized and got off. DH got on, but they looked like they were just not going to get on. I invited them on and told them that really, I just wanted to protect their toes. They need to let scooters on first, so that they don't risk getting their toes run over. One of the girls said that on her last cruise that actually happened to her mother. I apologized that someone was so inconsiderate.

(2) It's funny that people who would not walk in front of a moving vehicle (not matter how slowly it's going) will walk right in front of a moving mobility scooter! Honestly, no one wants to see anyone get hurt, but give them a little space. They will stop for you, if you are so inconsiderate as to need to rush around them like that, but they do not stop on a dime. Just use a little common sense!

Should have added that if the choice for the lift was me or a wheelchair user, then obviously the chair user must have priority. I can do the stairs, the person in the chair can't.

There are a lot of selfish people in the world; me, myself and I seems to have become the norm. I wonder how they would feel if they suddenly found themselves in a wheelchair? Other than having a lift attendant in all lifts, I can't see things changing in the short term.

This thread was moved here from the major cruise line threads (NCL, RCI) and so far the responses are much more civil than what I received yesterday when I first posted. Many people were very angry with me for posting such a thing. One person told me his children were very well behaved and to mind my own business. I had other angry responses as well but the bottom line is you are right....people are selfish (ignorant or uncaring). Until they end up with a disability they will never change their mind.

I think that because of hidden ailments, the most important thing is first come, first on. Wait your turn, don't budge in front of someone else. You're free to give up your space for someone else for any reason, but you shouldn't feel obligated to.

If only it was as easy as it is to suggest it. I can do it. You can do it. But that other person wouldn't even consider it.

Because you aren't looking down. You are looking straight ahead. You would be amazed at when I'm at a complete stop, just sitting there and someone texting or walking and talking to someone else or even walking backwards trips over me. They look at me and give me a dirty look. Dude! I wasn't the one moving.

Gawd! That happens more than I can count! :rolleyes: Bad news for them is that they see me as 4' in a powered-off scooter and decide to rip into me for "running them over", but I stand up at 6'3" and suddenly look like the former football tackle I was once was. :D

Hi Babs

When I wrote this I wasn't trying to paint people who use the elevators as bad. We all are entitled to use the elevators. I was just trying to point out that some cruisers have absolutely no choice but to depend on the elevators and that being aware and courteous to them means a lot.

On more than one occasion as my daughter and I were waiting for the elevator I thought "What would I do in an emergency?" (Random strange thoughts) help to pass the time away, but it was uncomfortable in that regard that some of us REALLY REALLY have no other way to get from floor to floor. And in an emergency I'm sure my super mom strength would kick in and I could carry her from floor to floor!!!!

I use the elevators but I will gladly give up my spot for anyone in a wheelchair or using a scooter and that includes letting them on first and letting them exit first. In an emergency the elevators are supposed to be off limits to all but those that actually need them so I am hoping you won't have to use your super mom strength.:)

I am in between being able to use the stairs and needing the elevator. Most days I can use the stairs but need to use the handrails to help me. I'd like to explain that please do not stand on the stairs talking and leaning against the handrails socializing or sit on the stairs waiting for someone. It is awkward to ask people to move and when I do sometimes I get the answer they have the right to be there. I always ask nicely and always back down after one rebuff.So I end up taking the elevator further to avoid confrontation and lack of handrails that I can reach. Yes these people do have a right to be there but by milling around the stairs preventing borderline handicapped people access to the handrails it further fills up the elevators. Thank you.

I guess I just was raised right! :p Even if I'm hindering someone unconsciously or unintentionally, just ask me politely to move over and I'll profusely apologize and give way. No big deal. Sorry I was blocking you in the first place. That's just the way I was brought up. No excuse for bad manners.

For those of you who mentioned "giving up" you place on the elevator for those in a wheelchair or on a scooter, good for you. I will say, though, that "first-come, first-served" is an appropriate attitude. Never feel bad if you get on an elevator that you have been waiting for. On the other hand, if someone with a wheelchair or scooter has been waiting, don't jump in front of them just because you can move faster :)

I am in between being able to use the stairs and needing the elevator. Most days I can use the stairs but need to use the handrails to help me. I'd like to explain that please do not stand on the stairs talking and leaning against the handrails socializing or sit on the stairs waiting for someone. It is awkward to ask people to move and when I do sometimes I get the answer they have the right to be there. I always ask nicely and always back down after one rebuff.So I end up taking the elevator further to avoid confrontation and lack of handrails that I can reach. Yes these people do have a right to be there but by milling around the stairs preventing borderline handicapped people access to the handrails it further fills up the elevators. Thank you.

This occurs quite often, especially on Princess, when there is a show in the Atrium.

People stand on the stairs, to watch the show, and block off a hand rail; thus,

forcing two way traffic to a limited space on the stairs.

Hey, it's their Cruise!!!!!!

honestly I think you should be telling people to have respect for those around them - wait your turn, don't rush the elevator, let elderly or those clearly in need on first

I don't have to take an elevator for any reason I am capable of walking the stairs however when on vacation I don't want to walk up a gazillion flights of stairs - Now I do walk down the stairs but walking up is pretty much out of the question unless its one flight and I should not have to be made to feel bad because I choose to take an elevator

Hi Babs

When I wrote this I wasn't trying to paint people who use the elevators as bad. We all are entitled to use the elevators.

my point we are all entitled

For those of you who mentioned "giving up" you place on the elevator for those in a wheelchair or on a scooter, good for you. I will say, though, that "first-come, first-served" is an appropriate attitude. Never feel bad if you get on an elevator that you have been waiting for. On the other hand, if someone with a wheelchair or scooter has been waiting, don't jump in front of them just because you can move faster :)

Exactly

This occurs quite often, especially on Princess, when there is a show in the Atrium.

People stand on the stairs, to watch the show, and block off a hand rail; thus,

forcing two way traffic to a limited space on the stairs.

Hey, it's their Cruise!!!!!!

Well, forgive my bluntness but that mindset of "it's their cruise" is wrong. We don't allow smoking in many areas (Why not? IT"S THEIR CRUISE too) How bout children in the adult pool...come on sing the refrain with me "IT"S THEIR CRUISE". Chairhogs, come on give them a break, IT'S THEIR CRUISE too. Shall I go on cause I can....Bottom line, courtesy! Is it really necessary or even safe to block an area where people are trying to walk.....I go to NYC frequently and if you do it there, they will just walk over you without an apology.

Well, forgive my bluntness but that mindset of "it's their cruise" is wrong. We don't allow smoking in many areas (Why not? IT"S THEIR CRUISE too) How bout children in the adult pool...come on sing the refrain with me "IT"S THEIR CRUISE". Chairhogs, come on give them a break, IT'S THEIR CRUISE too. Shall I go on cause I can....Bottom line, courtesy! Is it really necessary or even safe to block an area where people are trying to walk.....I go to NYC frequently and if you do it there, they will just walk over you without an apology.

I believe that Cruisen was being sarcastic in their "it's their cruise" comment.

honestly I think you should be telling people to have respect for those around them - wait your turn, don't rush the elevator, let elderly or those clearly in need on first

I don't have to take an elevator for any reason I am capable of walking the stairs however when on vacation I don't want to walk up a gazillion flights of stairs - Now I do walk down the stairs but walking up is pretty much out of the question unless its one flight and I should not have to be made to feel bad because I choose to take an elevator

I remember something somewhere about being more physically active - might have been a tv commercial, or pamphlet, or maybe my doctor told me. I can't remember the source, just the information. The suggestion with regards to stairs is, "One floor up, or two floors down." Your comment reminded me of that.

I agree, you shouldn't feel bad about taking the elevator even if it's one floor down. As long as you're courteous about it anyway, and you wait your turn instead of jumping in front of someone else just because you're more spry than they are ;)

My husband would be one of those. He uses the treadmill to get necessary exercise but because of knee problems cannot do stairs. So after using the treadmill he takes the elevator to next destination.

I really admire his commitment. Please tell him to be careful using a treadmill with his knee problems. My wife has knee and hip issues, the bike or elliptical would be much better in the long run.

As for my comment it is directed at people who are running 6 or 7 minute miles, and I promise you don't have physical limitations.

What was very frustrating for me when I took my cruise with my daughter in her wheelchair (we have more planned) was how quickly the doors closed. By the time all the people exited the elevator the doors were closing, really I kid you not!

So I had to become proactive and start towards the elevator so that when the last person left I could keep the door from shutting by putting the wheelchair in its way. Shouldn't be that way and definitely doesn't sound safe for the wheelchair rider. This was on the Carnival Sunshine, and we don't plan on going back to that one.

What was very frustrating for me when I took my cruise with my daughter in her wheelchair (we have more planned) was how quickly the doors closed. By the time all the people exited the elevator the doors were closing, really I kid you not!

So I had to become proactive and start towards the elevator so that when the last person left I could keep the door from shutting by putting the wheelchair in its way. Shouldn't be that way and definitely doesn't sound safe for the wheelchair rider. This was on the Carnival Sunshine, and we don't plan on going back to that one.

Now that you mention it I've noticed that on all of our cruises. I know that if I am the last one off the elevator and there are people waiting to get on I will reach back and put my hand on the door to keep it from closing until people get on, but it's not something that everyone does.

Try not to judge who "needs" the elevator. I regularly walk several miles on a treadmill, but due to multiple knee surgeries, I have been advised by my physician to avoid stairs when at all possible. More than one or two flights a day, and I would have to spend an entire day not walking anywhere.

I do agree people should be considerate of others when using elevators.

I admire that you are still getting your exercise even with your knee issues. My wife also has knee, as well as hip issues. Please be careful with the treadmill and your knees. My wife has found that recumbent bikes and elliptical machines allow her to get here exercise in greater comfort. THey don't have the repetitive pounding of a treadmill.

As far as judging, it is simply observing. To be clear I am talking about people running full out on a treadmill, often in marathon or 10k shirts. It's not that I think they are wrong to take an elevator, I don't understand why they would want to wait for an elevator, especially when there is a crowd.

I run a 5k (3.2 miles) in around 30 min. These people are running at a pace faster then mine.

Now that you mention it I've noticed that on all of our cruises. I know that if I am the last one off the elevator and there are people waiting to get on I will reach back and put my hand on the door to keep it from closing until people get on, but it's not something that everyone does.

Yeah it's a shame that such a simple thing is so often overlooked by a lot of people. Especially when the elevators are crowded and it takes a while for everyone to get on and off.

Next cruise I should just call out "Could you hold the door for me?" That might work OR might not!