Kindest thing you can do...

Longstockingpippi1

Hello everyone. On the whole, i agree that more consideration should be given to people with mobility problems, But people in wheel chairs or mobility scooters or who walk with canes can be just as rude and ignorant as those who have no visable disability. i have been pushed out of the way, driven into, and been hit by a cane user, who when i was pushing the button for a floor i wanted, used his stick to push his floor button and caught my hand.. luckily i don't have to use a wheelchair or walk with an aid YET.

I do have mobility problems that can't be obviously seen, I was unfortunately born with just 3 toes on each foot and have balance problems,this means that i am fairly slow when i walk, especially when going down stairs. However, I try to have as much independence as i can and if i hear people behind me, i will apologize and let them pass if they want, the number of people who state in a loud voice to "hurry up" or "can't he go any faster" or simply push by me is astounding. So you see, it's not just in elevators. After the lifeboat drill and peak time at the buffet are worst, so i tend now to wait at the back and not use the buffet.

Rant over :) Happy cruising.

I had planned on taking the stairs anyways for the fitness aspect. I have been told to expect a 10 lb weight gain:eek: Now I will encourage my party of eight to do so as well after reading this thread.

I have been told to expect a 10 lb weight gain:eek

Just depends on what/how much you eat and drink. Seeing how some people ate, that kind of weight gain wouldn't surprise me in the least, but I know I had no trouble finding healthy options - and actually lost 5kg on a 14 day cruise

Edited by LokiPoki

I had planned on taking the stairs anyways for the fitness aspect. I have been told to expect a 10 lb weight gain:eek: Now I will encourage my party of eight to do so as well after reading this thread.

Ten pounds! Yikes :eek:. What the heck do you people plan on eating. At most I've gained 3 or 4 pounds. The same I might gain during the Thanksgiving Christmas period. Then when I went back to normal (less sweets) eating it came right back off.

haha, I gained 2.5 pounds just eating all you can eat sushi for dinner last night! I would not be surprised if I gain 10 pounds on a 15 day cruise, and I'm no stranger to eating healthy / portion control as I lost 60 pounds a couple years back (and kept 50 of it off since). But I figure, if I lost it once, I can lose it again after the cruise.

I have a disability and walk with a cane .On a cruise last year I was entering the theater to see a show .The ship had the last 2 rows designated for people in wheelchairs and canes .A guy pushed me aside and sat down in one of the seats .He was not in a wheelchair nor did he use a cane .He refused to get up and began to curse and threatened me .A person working for the ship asked him to get up but he refused to do so.

I had a similar experience with my walker. There was an open seat in the back row with a space I could put my Walker. My husband went to sit in the seat and I sat down in the walker. The person one seat over said the seat was saved. We asked if the saved the seat was for a person using a wheelchair or walker, they said, " no but they got there before you'. The announcement came on again about this time saying no saved seats. I pointed out the rows of seats directly in front of us, but they were not walker or wheelchair accessible, and suggested since there was no seat saving, the person coming could sit there. They said we want to sit together and there is more room here.

My husband said lets just move down, I will help you. We put my walker in the corner and went down a row. When the show started I felt someone leaning over me. I looked and two people had taken my walker, one person was sitting with their legs out the wrong way and the other was standing on my wheels, with their hands on the handles, and leaning on the person sitting with their stomach on the back rest bar. I turned around and said in shock that it was my walker, they said it was okay they were just using it for the show.

We got up and demanded my walker and left without seeing the show. I immediately use my hand gel to clean the handles.

I had a similar experience with my walker. There was an open seat in the back row with a space I could put my Walker. My husband went to sit in the seat and I sat down in the walker. The person one seat over said the seat was saved. We asked if the saved the seat was for a person using a wheelchair or walker, they said, " no but they got there before you'. The announcement came on again about this time saying no saved seats. I pointed out the rows of seats directly in front of us, but they were not walker or wheelchair accessible, and suggested since there was no seat saving, the person coming could sit there. They said we want to sit together and there is more room here.

My husband said lets just move down, I will help you. We put my walker in the corner and went down a row. When the show started I felt someone leaning over me. I looked and two people had taken my walker, one person was sitting with their legs out the wrong way and the other was standing on my wheels, with their hands on the handles, and leaning on the person sitting with their stomach on the back rest bar. I turned around and said in shock that it was my walker, they said it was okay they were just using it for the show.

We got up and demanded my walker and left without seeing the show. I immediately use my hand gel to clean the handles.

You were very gracious in the way you handled it. However there is being 'nice" and then there is being taken advantage of. I don't want to assume that you are older than me (55) but many people around my age or younger take a much bolder stance in standing up to bullies, especially when they are in the right

In the 28 years since my daughter had her stroke and things progressed downhill I have become very forward in defending right vs. wrong with people. Some things I cannot change however. There were always be a group of girls or a mother and child in the handicapped stall, or people that walk right in front of the wheelchair as if it's invisible.

I have CHF and cannot use stairs but this is not visible to anyone. However when there are folks in wheel chairs, with walkers or canes or mobility scooters DH & I position ourselves in to be their blockers.

I have heard several times, when pointing out that the gentleman or lady in the wheel chair was there first, "oh I didn't see him".

I have CHF and cannot use stairs but this is not visible to anyone. However when there are folks in wheel chairs, with walkers or canes or mobility scooters DH & I position ourselves in to be their blockers.

I have heard several times, when pointing out that the gentleman or lady in the wheel chair was there first, "oh I didn't see him".

Yep

Wheelchair = Invisible

Yep

Wheelchair = Invisible

Yep...people tend not to look below their eye level. It causes particular problems for me when I use my "freewheel" (attachment thing that converts my chair to a kind of off-road three-wheeler) as it adds close to another 2' length to the front of the chair. Am forever shouting warnings at people so they don't trip over it :rolleyes:

To those of you who've mentioned things like holding doors, keeping a hand on buttons to hold lifts, etc., a big thank you! It's those very small gestures that make a big difference :)

for many of your fellow passengers is to take the stairs if you are physically able. Parents with strollers, people with wheelchairs, canes or crutches don't have the option of using the stairs. If you could also remind your children not to view the elevator is a form of entertainment it would be appreciated. Thank you from Kelly's mom (she is a wheelchair user).

May I please add one more.........do not judge some one, because you think, they can take the stairs :) I cannot use the stairs either,but you would not know it to look at me. (Wish I could!!)

Grew up with a parapalegic (SP) aunt,now work in a facility with many people in wheelchairs. I call friends :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Hello everyone. On the whole, i agree that more consideration should be given to people with mobility problems, But people in wheel chairs or mobility scooters or who walk with canes can be just as rude and ignorant as those who have no visable disability. i have been pushed out of the way, driven into, and been hit by a cane user, who when i was pushing the button for a floor i wanted, used his stick to push his floor button and caught my hand.. luckily i don't have to use a wheelchair or walk with an aid YET.

I do have mobility problems that can't be obviously seen, I was unfortunately born with just 3 toes on each foot and have balance problems,this means that i am fairly slow when i walk, especially when going down stairs. However, I try to have as much independence as i can and if i hear people behind me, i will apologize and let them pass if they want, the number of people who state in a loud voice to "hurry up" or "can't he go any faster" or simply push by me is astounding. So you see, it's not just in elevators. After the lifeboat drill and peak time at the buffet are worst, so i tend now to wait at the back and not use the buffet.

Rant over :) Happy cruising.

Have gotten dirty looks from those in wheelchairs, because I got in the elevator. I cannot use the stairs to go up ,I can go down but not up!

Reader

May I please add one more.........do not judge some one, because you think, they can take the stairs :) I cannot use the stairs either,but you would not know it to look at me. (Wish I could!!)

Grew up with a parapalegic (SP) aunt,now work in a facility with many people in wheelchairs. I call friends :)

Reader

Unfortunately a lot of people who like to judge. Only had one person comment to me an a cruise about their perception that I had asked for assistance on embarkation and was later "walking around fine" I thought Mrs Gut was going to throw them overboard.

Unfortunately a lot of people who like to judge. Only had one person comment to me an a cruise about their perception that I had asked for assistance on embarkation and was later "walking around fine" I thought Mrs Gut was going to throw them overboard.

You know Gut ,I like Mrs. Gut, reminds me of me!:D

Edited by Reader0108598

Yep...people tend not to look below their eye level. It causes particular problems for me when I use my "freewheel" (attachment thing that converts my chair to a kind of off-road three-wheeler) as it adds close to another 2' length to the front of the chair. Am forever shouting warnings at people so they don't trip over it :rolleyes:

To those of you who've mentioned things like holding doors, keeping a hand on buttons to hold lifts, etc., a big thank you! It's those very small gestures that make a big difference :)

I've never understood folks who look straight ahead. I figure it's a good idea to look down once in a while so I don't trip over anything (or step in something icky if outside. If they don't see someone in a wheelchair (or short people or children) they need to start paying attention.

I think you can quite often recognize the folks who routinely use elevators (like at work). They're the ones who automatically hold the door when getting on or off, ask which floor you want if they're standing near the buttons, etc.

Have gotten dirty looks from those in wheelchairs, because I got in the elevator. I cannot use the stairs to go up ,I can go down but not up!

Reader

Is it because you got on before them? Really, let wheelchairs and scooters on first, then get on around them. No one wants to run over your toes (and I'm sure you don't want them to).

Is it because you got on before them? Really, let wheelchairs and scooters on first, then get on around them. No one wants to run over your toes (and I'm sure you don't want them to).

Umm No, and that was quite a rude response! Sorry I cannot breathe, have lost 55 percent of my lung capacity ,so far! But hey your visible disability is more important than my seemingly invisible one!

Please read my above post, I am well aware of the challenges of a person in a wheel chair. I would never step in front of anyone. Please be aware of my challenges, and don't judge me, if I am on the crowed elevator with you .

I have worked in the field for 22 years I know my way around a person In a wheelchair.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Umm No, and that was quite a rude response! Sorry I cannot breathe, have lost 55 percent of my lung capacity ,so far! But hey your visible disability is more important than my seemingly invisible one!

Please read my above post, I am well aware of the challenges of a person in a wheel chair. I would never step in front of anyone. Please be aware of my challenges, and don't judge me, if I am on the crowed elevator with you .

I have worked in the field for 22 years I know my way around a person In a wheelchair.

Reader

I'm sorry, I think that you are reading into what I asked. I don't doubt your need to use the elevators. There are a lot of people who have "hidden" disabilities, myself included. I was simply trying to see if there was perhaps another reason that someone would be giving you that "look" in an attempt to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

DH uses a scooter and we deal frequently with people trying to get on the elevator and then saying "go ahead and get on." It's for everyone's safety to let the wheelchairs and scooters get on first. No one wants crushed toes. It's not a matter of who is more important or who has the "greater" disability. That part of my comment was simply about safety.

I don't know your 22 year history of working "in the field" (whatever field that is) and you don't know my history. Please don't be hypersensitive and read into questions.

Edited by Schoifmom

I'm sorry, I think that you are reading into what I asked. I don't doubt your need to use the elevators. There are a lot of people who have "hidden" disabilities, myself included. I was simply trying to see if there was perhaps another reason that someone would be giving you that "look" in an attempt to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

DH uses a scooter and we deal frequently with people trying to get on the elevator and then saying "go ahead and get on." It's for everyone's safety to let the wheelchairs and scooters get on first. No one wants crushed toes. It's not a matter of who is more important or who has the "greater" disability. That part of my comment was simply about safety.

Not hypersensitive,not comparing disabilities. (You said)

"Is it because you got on before them? Really, let wheelchairs and scooters on first,"

"The field "would be a long term specialty care facility . You are correct you would not know that.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I will add my voice to those who have observed and experienced the utter lack of consideration some cruisers have towards the obviously mobility challenged.

But I have had similar experiences on land. I do think the problem is exacerbated aboard simply because the elevators tend to be much smaller than those ashore.

I was seven months pregnant and had an accident. I was in a wheelchair at the hospital, moaning from pain and my mother was trying to get me to labor and delivery to be monitored before they could check me for other injuries. People pushed ahead of me in the elevator to go visit their friends. Even the staff couldn't believe it. They wound up using a back elevator to get me there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My son has autism and we travel with Autism on the Seas. They reserve an area of the theater for us since many of the kids have a hard time waiting. It's blocked off with signs and ropes. You have to open/move the ropes to sit there. We got to a show and both rows were taken by people not in our group. I told them they would have to leave. They did but then someone else, came over to me and started arguing that I shouldn't have said anything. I said it was clearly marked for handicapped children. This "person " said they didn't care. Ship personnel wound up involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reminder for little things - it takes a moment to hold a door for someone but it really does mean a lot!

I'm a bit pedantic about people using parking spaces or reserved spots for those with disabilities. My mum is a quadriplegic and it's so frustrating to travel with her and see how many people disregard her needs.

Now for the first time I'm one of those with an invisible issue (hopefully temporary), and I'm feeling super guilty about it! I'll probably need handrails or lifts while I'm on board sometimes, but it will mean I have the ability to go snorkeling or for a walk on the beach while I'm on shore so it's all a trade off.

Now for the first time I'm one of those with an invisible issue (hopefully temporary), and I'm feeling super guilty about it! I'll probably need handrails or lifts while I'm on board sometimes, but it will mean I have the ability to go snorkeling or for a walk on the beach while I'm on shore so it's all a trade off.

I go into the store and get the last scooter. I see an old person bent over and they look like they can barely walk. I feel guilty. Then I put my foot down on the ground and start walking. Guilt over. If you need it, you need it. I used to feel bad about the handicap parking but I'm over that too.