**Trip of a Lifetime Review - Italy and Rhapsody of the Seas 9.16.2016**

Thank you for taking us along on your amazing trip! Looking forward to reading more of your future reports.

Question, if you think of it. Can you remember what the room service on the Rhapsody was like? If you didn't order anything, did you take a look at the menu? We plan on room service breakfast most days and I can't seem to find much info.

Thanks!

:( Our trip living vicariously through you is over. But man, what a trip. Thank you for doing this report. This is a dream trip for me. Not sure that it will ever happen. So happy that you had such a good time and just thanks again for sharing.

Your review has inspired me to do this itinerary! How did you decide on the hotels and the tours? I travel solo, too, but thought I would let a travel agent manage the hotel and tour reservations but you seem to have managed without a TA. Now that you're back home and can reflect on your trip, can you offer any suggestions/advice for solo travelers that want to take this trip? Thanks so much for your review and your pictures are awesome! :D

Thank you! :D I had the trip booked since last August, so plenty of time to do research.

For hotels, I knew I wanted something near the main train stations since I'd be using them to get from city to city. I'd find a hotel I liked, look to see if it was a price I was comfortable with and then read reviews and went to the hotel website. I switched all my hotels at least once but was happy with what I ended up with - Venice could've been better, but I managed.

The tours I used Viator exclusively. I read the descriptions and read reviews and then I searched to see if there was anything else comparable. I ended up missing some of the tours I booked (all my fault - I slept in!) but I'd definitely use them again. The tours I did make, they all went amazing.

First piece of advice ... do not overpack. You will pack clothes you think you are going to wear ... you won't. Every time I had to drag my suitcase somewhere, I was annoyed LOL I also started a document folder that was so handy throughout the trip - I put it in order of when I would need it during the trip, so it was easy to access everything. Main thing - go with the flow. As I mentioned, I missed a few tours and I was upset for maybe 10 minutes and then I let it go and didn't let it ruin the rest of my day.

Also, one of the best decisions I made about this trip was starting a journal specifically for this trip. I started it in June and just wrote entries leading up to the trip detailing my excitement. I brought the journal with me and wrote it in several times. I was reading through it yesterday and was brought right back to the moments - it's something I wish I did on all my past cruises and will now do going forward.

Any other questions, let me know! I could talk about this trip all day LOL

Thank you for taking us along on your amazing trip! Looking forward to reading more of your future reports.

Question, if you think of it. Can you remember what the room service on the Rhapsody was like? If you didn't order anything, did you take a look at the menu? We plan on room service breakfast most days and I can't seem to find much info.

Thanks!

Sorry, I never used room service, which is the first time for any of my cruises. I didn't even look at the menu, but the breakfast is usually standard - eggs, toast or bagels, bacon, fruit plate and some other stuff.

Thank you Deon for the outstanding trip through your eyes. I really admire you for taking this journey solo. I did the 15 day full transit Panama Canal solo but this trip...wow! :D

Thanks, it was honestly the trip of a lifetime. I'm glad I went solo - it definitely would've changed the experience for me if I had company.

Thanks again for bringing us along in your trip through your review.

Thank you!!

Thank you! :D I had the trip booked since last August, so plenty of time to do research.

For hotels, I knew I wanted something near the main train stations since I'd be using them to get from city to city. I'd find a hotel I liked, look to see if it was a price I was comfortable with and then read reviews and went to the hotel website. I switched all my hotels at least once but was happy with what I ended up with - Venice could've been better, but I managed.

The tours I used Viator exclusively. I read the descriptions and read reviews and then I searched to see if there was anything else comparable. I ended up missing some of the tours I booked (all my fault - I slept in!) but I'd definitely use them again. The tours I did make, they all went amazing.

First piece of advice ... do not overpack. You will pack clothes you think you are going to wear ... you won't. Every time I had to drag my suitcase somewhere, I was annoyed LOL I also started a document folder that was so handy throughout the trip - I put it in order of when I would need it during the trip, so it was easy to access everything. Main thing - go with the flow. As I mentioned, I missed a few tours and I was upset for maybe 10 minutes and then I let it go and didn't let it ruin the rest of my day.

Also, one of the best decisions I made about this trip was starting a journal specifically for this trip. I started it in June and just wrote entries leading up to the trip detailing my excitement. I brought the journal with me and wrote it in several times. I was reading through it yesterday and was brought right back to the moments - it's something I wish I did on all my past cruises and will now do going forward.

Any other questions, let me know! I could talk about this trip all day LOL

Thank you, Deon, for the suggestions/advice! I want to take a transatlantic cruise to Greece but I want to do it on a larger ship with a variety of entertainment. I'm currently researching cruise lines and once I've decided which ship I'll begin research on the hotels. The only time I brought a journal when I traveled was on my visit to Paris and Rome. When I reread my entries I relive those moments:D I'll be sure to take a journal with me when I do a transatlantic cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I stumbled across this today. Your review and photos are much appreciated. I cruise solo and I buy a new journal before each cruise to document my trip. The real fun is not reading my journal for about 6 months after the trip. It's always cool to read about something that you had forgotten about.

Amazing trip report! Thanks so much for sharing! While we aren't cruising, we are renting apartments in Florence and the Amalfi Coast in September and loved seeing your photos!

Thank you! [emoji4]

Glad I stumbled across this today. Your review and photos are much appreciated. I cruise solo and I buy a new journal before each cruise to document my trip. The real fun is not reading my journal for about 6 months after the trip. It's always cool to read about something that you had forgotten about.

I've already read through the journal once and got excited all over again. I'm so glad I decided to do it and wish I had started from my very first cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
What do you do when you meticulously plan a bucket list trip and can't stop talking about it?

You write the greatest review ever!! (Well, maybe not the greatest, but go with me folks)

Last May, I decided it was time to see my top 2 bucket list destinations … Italy and Greece, specifically Santorini. I was first booked on a 7 night cruise onboard Vision of the Seas. But, as always, I was still searching to see if any other sailings peaked my interest. I came across this 10 night itinerary and it was less than $100 to switch for 3 extra days …. So, I made the no brainer decision and switched cruises within 24 hours.

So, now the cruise is booked … how would I make it into the complete trip, you ask? Well, let me tell you!

I've always been fascinated by Italy and I can't tell you when or how it started but it's been numero uno on my bucket list for many years. No particular city or sight, just Italy in general. The cruise would be close looped from Venice (lucky me!) So, I looked on a map and within a few weeks, I put together this brilliant trip.

Day 1 - arrive in Rome

Day 2 – Rome

Day 3 – Rome to Venice with a dip in Florence

Day 4 – Venice

Day 5 – embarkation on Rhapsody of the Seas

Day 6 – sea day

Day 7 – Corfu, Greece

Day 8 – sea day

Day 9 – Santorini, Greece

Day 10 – Athens, Greece

Day 11 – Mykonos, Greece

Day 12 – sea day

Day 13 – Kotor, Montenegro

Day 14 – Zadar, Croatia

Day 15 – disembarkation and train to Milan

Day 16 – Milan

Day 17 – flight home (boo hoo!)

Amazing trip, right? I know! I simply could not stop talking about this trip, especially after final payment was made. I’m sure people were annoyed hearing me talk about it so much, but I didn’t care. I had a list for everything … outfits, estimated euros I’d need, restaurant suggestions. Anything to get me closer to the big day. The planning was intense, I won't lie. I had to book hotels for Rome, Venice and Milan. I had to book tours for each destination and the ports. I had to convert my money into euros. This was nothing like preparing for a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise, but I think I did a pretty good job. This would be my 5th solo cruise and now that the trip is all done, I wouldn't have had it any other way. I'm so glad I decided to go alone as I don't think I would've enjoyed myself as much if I had company.

Oh wait! Let me properly introduce myself!

I’m Deon from Toronto and cruising, preferably alone, is my absolute favourite way to vacation. I started cruising in 2009 and this would be my 10th cruise and 1st time sailing as Diamond … I swear I heard Rihanna singing to me when I collected my sea pass the first time ... “Shine bright like a diamond …”

Ready to get this bucket list trip party started?? I took over 2,800 pictures between my iPhone 6 and Canon camera … yes, you read that number right. I was clicking like nobody’s business, so please bare with me. I’m still uploading pictures and hope to have this review done in a timely manner.

The Author :D

https

I am planning a similar trip in 2017; been to Italy three times never been to Greece.

Neighbor, how's it goin? ..

I was just wonderin' how far in advance did you booked your flight and if you used a third party?

btw.. thanks for posting Hotel Caprera[emoji3]

Hello! :)

I booked my flight in January through Expedia with extra insurance. It was cheaper than Choice Air.

Hotel Caprera was my least favourite out of the 3 hotels but it did its job and it was close to where I needed to be.

What do you do when you meticulously plan a bucket list trip and can't stop talking about it?

You write the greatest review ever!! (Well, maybe not the greatest, but go with me folks)

Last May, I decided it was time to see my top 2 bucket list destinations … Italy and Greece, specifically Santorini. I was first booked on a 7 night cruise onboard Vision of the Seas. But, as always, I was still searching to see if any other sailings peaked my interest. I came across this 10 night itinerary and it was less than $100 to switch for 3 extra days …. So, I made the no brainer decision and switched cruises within 24 hours.

So, now the cruise is booked … how would I make it into the complete trip, you ask? Well, let me tell you!

I've always been fascinated by Italy and I can't tell you when or how it started but it's been numero uno on my bucket list for many years. No particular city or sight, just Italy in general. The cruise would be close looped from Venice (lucky me!) So, I looked on a map and within a few weeks, I put together this brilliant trip.

Day 1 - arrive in Rome

Day 2 – Rome

Day 3 – Rome to Venice with a dip in Florence

Day 4 – Venice

Day 5 – embarkation on Rhapsody of the Seas

Day 6 – sea day

Day 7 – Corfu, Greece

Day 8 – sea day

Day 9 – Santorini, Greece

Day 10 – Athens, Greece

Day 11 – Mykonos, Greece

Day 12 – sea day

Day 13 – Kotor, Montenegro

Day 14 – Zadar, Croatia

Day 15 – disembarkation and train to Milan

Day 16 – Milan

Day 17 – flight home (boo hoo!)

Amazing trip, right? I know! I simply could not stop talking about this trip, especially after final payment was made. I’m sure people were annoyed hearing me talk about it so much, but I didn’t care. I had a list for everything … outfits, estimated euros I’d need, restaurant suggestions. Anything to get me closer to the big day. The planning was intense, I won't lie. I had to book hotels for Rome, Venice and Milan. I had to book tours for each destination and the ports. I had to convert my money into euros. This was nothing like preparing for a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise, but I think I did a pretty good job. This would be my 5th solo cruise and now that the trip is all done, I wouldn't have had it any other way. I'm so glad I decided to go alone as I don't think I would've enjoyed myself as much if I had company.

Oh wait! Let me properly introduce myself!

I’m Deon from Toronto and cruising, preferably alone, is my absolute favourite way to vacation. I started cruising in 2009 and this would be my 10th cruise and 1st time sailing as Diamond … I swear I heard Rihanna singing to me when I collected my sea pass the first time ... “Shine bright like a diamond …”

Ready to get this bucket list trip party started?? I took over 2,800 pictures between my iPhone 6 and Canon camera … yes, you read that number right. I was clicking like nobody’s business, so please bare with me. I’m still uploading pictures and hope to have this review done in a timely manner.

The Author :D

https

I am planning a similar trip in 2017; been to Italy three times never been to Greece.

I'm doing early planning for a return to Europe in fall 2018. I think I want to start in Barcelona though. A 7 day cruise and then fly to Santorini for a few days before heading home.

Hello! :)

I booked my flight in January through Expedia with extra insurance. It was cheaper than Choice Air.

Hotel Caprera was my least favourite out of the 3 hotels but it did its job and it was close to where I needed to be.

Did you notice any price drops on airfare after January? Currently the cost sits between $800-880 CAD, is that close to what you had?

Did the hotel offer free breakfast? .. and how much is the pizza there? I was thinkin' of keeping us on a steady diet of share-able items just so to keep my budget in check.

What category is your cabin? likewise I booked an interior M, Royal rep said it's 154 sq ft with sofa but when I checked online, it says 132 sq ..I don't know who's telling the truth..

Thanks and sorry for being on my 'pester list':)

Thank you so much for sharing your trip and photos. Simply stunning. You made the last half of my work day going a little quicker ;)

Thank you! It was an amazing trip and I still go through this review about once a month to relive it :D

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you notice any price drops on airfare after January? Currently the cost sits between $800-880 CAD, is that close to what you had?

Did the hotel offer free breakfast? .. and how much is the pizza there? I was thinkin' of keeping us on a steady diet of share-able items just so to keep my budget in check.

What category is your cabin? likewise I booked an interior M, Royal rep said it's 154 sq ft with sofa but when I checked online, it says 132 sq ..I don't know who's telling the truth..

Thanks and sorry for being on my 'pester list':)

Please, ask me all the questions you need. I love talking about anything related to this trip!

With insurance, I paid about $920, which was good for me, since I set a budget of $1,000 CDN for my flight. I checked maybe twice after I booked it and it had increased to about $1,100 before insurance.

The hotel had free breakfast but it was nothing to write home about. I believe the only hot item was oatmeal.

My cabin was a category K inside I believe and it was pretty big for an inside. I had a lot of room even though it was just me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums