Taking irons on board: a cautionary tale

tiggis

I genuinely think he put it there while he made the bed......for safe keeping .very odd I agree......I still find it hard to believe I didn't notice it, I. really didn't notice any difference to the lighting.......I still think maybe I made the wrong decison and should have reported it as a training need......but my gut feeling was that he was genuinely shocked and upset by it.......I feel confident he did make a mistake and learnt from it but I'm still filled with angst about it .

i really don't believe he intended to endanger anyone or anything

Alibobs, I probably would have made the same decision that you made because like you, I'd feel very badly if the steward was fired (which he most likely would have been). I had a really creepy experience once on another cruise line, and I didn't report the steward (long story, and it doesn't pertain to a Cunard ship anyway). In retrospect, maybe I should have had a discussion with someone in a position of authority on board - if only to file a report, not to recommend termination of employment.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure you're not alone in wanting to think only the best about others, and hopefully you'll always be right :)

But I'm thinking the slogan "if you see something, say something" might not be such a bad idea when done with a calm degree of tact.

Cheers,

Salacia

Alibobs, I probably would have made the same decision that you made because like you, I'd feel very badly if the steward was fired (which he most likely would have been). I had a really creepy experience once on another cruise line, and I didn't report the steward (long story, and it doesn't pertain to a Cunard ship anyway). In retrospect, maybe I should have had a discussion with someone in a position of authority on board - if only to file a report, not to recommend termination of employment.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure you're not alone in wanting to think only the best about others, and hopefully you'll always be right :)

But I'm thinking the slogan "if you see something, say something" might not be such a bad idea when done with a calm degree of tact.

Cheers,

Salacia

Thank you for your kind words Salacia

Embarked on QV yesterday and hadn't received my luggage after several hours. On enquiring I was told that there was an illegal item in my case and I needed to visit security. Well, it was a small travel iron (detected in the scanner) and it was confiscated until disembarkation. Now, I know the rules and can't complain. But this has never happened before, on Cunard or any other line. I only use the iron for small jobs when it would be a chore to visit the launderette (where the irons are often in use anyway). I thought this might be of interest to others who take an iron with them.

I took a travel iron on the QV but had it in my carry on - no problem! However my case never arrived so didn't use it much [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was told by someone who worked in security at Southampton, that now if an illegal item is detected in a case when scanned , the case is not allowed to be loaded onto the ship. If you miss the call to go to security the case remains in Southampton for the duration of the cruise. They said it happens quite frequently.

We try to discourage all potentially dangerous electrical items from coming on board.

The cabin electrical systems on board are not designed to take high current capacity items.

Cabin hair dryers are provided for the comfort of the guest, these are specially bought for the ships and are of lower current ratings and hence compatible with the ships electrical systems.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/BO_electrical_equipment

I also thought electrical items had to be in your hand luggage? Any query could then be sorted at the scanning machines when you go through security in the terminal building.

... I also thought electrical items had to be in your hand luggage? Any query could then be sorted at the scanning machines when you go through security in the terminal building.
That's surely the correct thing to do?

Leads/cables, chargers, any electrical items at all packed in a case is surely asking for trouble... or inconvenience at the very least.

I pack all such items in hand luggage where it can be easily shown to security and discounted as a potential threat. Common sense really.

Best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

Alibobs, I think I would have done the same as you and not taken the matter further. Whilst stuffing your night dress in the the lamp seems incredibly dangerous and indeed bizarre, I don't think there would have been anything to be gained by reporting it, apart from the person in question getting severally reprimanded. I'm sure they will not do it again, and what would reporting them achieve in the long run ?

I think you did the right thing by not taking it beyond what you did.

I wonder when Cunard is going to start confiscating Samsung Galaxy Note 7's from passengers

I was on QM2 two weeks ago and the captain said at lifeboat drill that they were to be switched off, the battery removed and not to be used for the duration of the crossing. As if anyone is going to take notice of that.

I was on QM2 two weeks ago and the captain said at lifeboat drill that they were to be switched off, the battery removed and not to be used for the duration of the crossing. As if anyone is going to take notice of that.
Quite! You are correct.

But there's just no helping stupid/selfish people is there? :mad:

And also impossible since the battery is not removable.

Alibobs, I think I would have done the same as you and not taken the matter further. Whilst stuffing your night dress in the the lamp seems incredibly dangerous and indeed bizarre, I don't think there would have been anything to be gained by reporting it, apart from the person in question getting severally reprimanded. I'm sure they will not do it again, and what would reporting them achieve in the long run ?

I think you did the right thing by not taking it beyond what you did.

Thank you -

and it was bizarre, he could have draped it over the light shade to keep it safe ( still bizarre) rather than stuff it in .........

Thank you -

and it was bizarre, he could have draped it over the light shade to keep it safe ( still bizarre) rather than stuff it in .........

If I remember correctly, there was a post on this forum about a fire alarm being sounded (sprinklers set off in the cabin) due to a shirt that was draped over a light in a cabin catching fire. This would have been within the past couple of years, and I seem to recall it being on a QM2 Holiday cruise. Can't find the post now, but maybe someone with a better memory (or a better command of the search function) can recall the details.

My guess is that if it was a passenger that put a shirt over the light fixture which resulted in smoke/fire/damage, a hefty surcharge was billed, as well as a not so welcome back suggestion.

Alibobs, I think you did the best thing possible. You gave him a thorough telling off but you enabled him to keep his job. It was a stupid mistake - a dangerous mistake - but he could have been new on the ship and we don't know if he was used to lamps or only overhead lights at home, etc. He will never make that mistake again, and hopefully he will go through life a better person because of your generosity. You could see by his reaction when your husband gave him a tip that he knew he was at fault (no hint of surliness there) and that he recognised and appreciated generosity when he saw it.

You have made life better for one man when you could have made it worse.

Now I am wondering what happens to my nightdress when the steward makes my bed in the morning. Does he just drop it on the floor so he can smoothe out all the bedding easily or does he walk around the bed to put it on the couch, where it is in the way of all the pillows? There is no room on my bedside table, with my book and torch and tablets. I can see why it might end up on the light fitting. If he'd folded it first, then I can see that temptation to put it inside so it didn't slip off.

Might I be so bold as to ask why one does not put one's own nightdress in a drawer by the bed when one gets dressed in the morning?

Whereas it is wrong for the room steward to put it on a lamp by the bed, I wonder why anyone would want a stranger to touch their intimate clothing.

These are room attendants, not lady's maids.

I am not Alibobs but I don't put mine away because there isn't a lot of drawer space by the bed. To be honest it's never occurred to me to tidy away my nightdress in a hotel or on a ship.

Edited by Host Hattie

Host Hattie:

I guess because I make my own bed if I am staying somewhere more than two days, I would never consider leaving intimate objects or underpinnings around.

Something about being born poor in the Valleys I guess. (Originally from Wattsville,;-) .Please don't take offense )

I also would not want to bother taking household appliances onboard a ship with me, especially those specifically banned. There are rules for a reason.

Edited by bananavan

I wonder how small a nightdress would have to be in order for me NOT To notice it when I turned the light on. If it were that small, then I would not want anyone other than my husband to touch it. If it were a flannel floor length gown and I did not notice it, then I had best go to spec savers as soon as I venture ashore.:):):)

Might I be so bold as to ask why one does not put one's own nightdress in a drawer by the bed when one gets dressed in the morning?

Whereas it is wrong for the room steward to put it on a lamp by the bed, I wonder why anyone would want a stranger to touch their intimate clothing.

These are room attendants, not lady's maids.

Always put our nightwear away in a drawer. Certainly do not want anybody handling my nightwear, even to drape it artfully on the bed at turn down 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD