Passport will expire in less than 6 months - Is that a problem?

ccndfw

We leave on a cruise in November and my passport will expire in March. I recently read that your passport needs to be valid for at least six months after you return. However, I also read that a passport is not really required for Carribean cruises that originate and return to the same US port. We are leaving out of Fort Lauderdale and cruising to the ABC islands. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Once onboard in Fort Lauderdale, does anyone know if you're required to show a passport in the ABC islands? I'm tempted to go ahead and expedite my renewal, but with tomorrow being a holiday and the processing time being about 3 weeks, I'm not sure I will have it back before we leave.

And, just so you know... we were in the same position so we went ahead an renewed our passports for our December trip.. from the time we sent our old passports in for renewal to the time they arrived in the mail.. a total of 13 days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And, just so you know... we were in the same position so we went ahead an renewed our passports for our December trip.. from the time we sent our old passports in for renewal to the time they arrived in the mail.. a total of 13 days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That was your experience at that time but starting this October through all of 2017 passport renewals will be at an all time high.

Due to WHTI back in 2007 a large influx of first time passports were requested and all of those passports are up for renewal. Adding the first time applications and the renewals passport issues can reach and all time high of over 33 million in this time frame.

At those time there are no plans to higher extra help for processing and the recommendation is to leave plenty of extra time for processing as they are expecting even expediting to take longer than usual.

Take care,

Vinnie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

About 5 years ago my passport was going to not have 6 months left on it for our Caribbean cruise. I was short by about a week. When i tried to input the info prior to the cruise Princess would not accept it. I brought my passport, birth certificate and DL with me. Had not problems.

You can leave your passport home and use BC and photo ID if you like.

The cruise you describe, for US citizens, has no six month restriction for passport holders. Nor does Princess, which also allows passengers to use the BC and photo ID combination.

I have never seen the ABC islands check passports for any cruise passengers on a US based cruise ship.

Your personal ID, whether passport or BC/photo ID is primarily for reentry into the US. The US has no restriction on entry and expiration date. You can use a US passport to enter the US on the very last day that it is valid.

You can leave your passport home and use BC and photo ID if you like.

The cruise you describe, for US citizens, has no six month restriction for passport holders. Nor does Princess, which also allows passengers to use the BC and photo ID combination.

I have never seen the ABC islands check passports for any cruise passengers on a US based cruise ship.

Your personal ID, whether passport or BC/photo ID is primarily for reentry into the US. The US has no restriction on entry and expiration date. You can use a US passport to enter the US on the very last day that it is valid.

...and just pray that you don't have to fly home if you take this advice and leave your passport at home.

Read this thread....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2408711&highlight=shoulder

Edited by chrysalis

...and just pray that you don't have to fly home if you take this advice and leave your passport at home.

Read this thread....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2408711&highlight=shoulder

How is this helpful to the OP?

The OP has a valid passport.

I was answering his/her question. Not some "what if" situation that is constantly written by CC members who are in the "I know more than you do" club.

That was your experience at that time but starting this October through all of 2017 passport renewals will be at an all time high.

Due to WHTI back in 2007 a large influx of first time passports were requested and all of those passports are up for renewal. Adding the first time applications and the renewals passport issues can reach and all time high of over 33 million in this time frame.

At those time there are no plans to higher extra help for processing and the recommendation is to leave plenty of extra time for processing as they are expecting even expediting to take longer than usual.

Yes, and because of this, two months ago we renewed a couple of family members' passports early, because they were only good 4 months past our travel dates. Now, you could say that because of the profile of our trip we could have gotten away with it, same reasons as described in earlier posts, Caribbean trip, bla bla bla... but I think another reason is to avoid snafus associated with possible misinformed people in charge, and just wanted to negate this risk as well, with the added benefit of not getting into the huge 2007/2017 passport queue later.

Edited by yuccaman