Open seating vs fixed seating

baja mama

Both open seating and fixed seating have their pluses, and I can enjoy either one. For me, what tips the scale toward open seating is the added flexibility. I tend to take port-intensive cruises and I prefer to spend as long as possible ashore, meaning my dining time may be rather late. But on sea days, I might prefer an earlier time.

Unfortunately, my most preferred dining time is usually smack in the middle between early and late seatings, especially on HAL where the early seating seems very early. Another plus for open seating.

I can find conversational ground with most people, and generally the "who are you/where are you from?" questions only take a few minutes at most to dispense with.

We're retired empty-nesters :D who have dinner with just the 2 of us at our home table most nights.

Thus, we enjoy a large table at late fixed dining. We see dining with others for conversation as a treat for us rather than "forced socialization". On HAL, especially, all you have to do is ask a question like "what port is your favorite to visit?" and the conversation ball rolls LOL

Edited by summersigh

Personally, I think much depends on the personality of the cruisers. If someone doesnt like to talk much, fixed dining can be very stressful. If, on the other hand, someone loves to chatter during the meal, fixed dining is good. I dont like to chatter to a lot of people I dont know during a meal.

I get a table for 2 and then, if we meet compatible people, we can arrange to

have a meal with them either in the main dining room, or one of the other

restaurants. Anyway, hope this helps with a different point of view!:)

We're retired empty-nesters :D who have dinner with just the 2 of us at our home table most nights.

Thus, we enjoy a large table at late fixed dining. We see dining with others for conversation as a treat for us rather than "forced socialization". On HAL, especially, all you have to do is ask a question like "what port is your favorite to visit?" and the conversation ball rolls LOL

I agree! Cruising history is a good ice breaker.

And for those who think of a large table as "forced socialization," definitely get a table for 2. It's your vacation and if lots of chit-chat bothers you, there is no need to be uncomfortable.

We prefer fixed seating over open seating, table for the 3 of us. We found that it's more relaxing that we don't have to socialize while enjoying our meals and we can talk about things that only we can understand. Also with fixed seating, the wait staff know our preferences which makes the dining process easier.