MSC Divina 10.8.2016 (Another perspective)

nickw

The bottle opener is in the bathroom on the wall (randomly)! I had read in the first time cruisers forum someone had said to look in the bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ah, I remember that now! I remember seeing it and saying "why the heck is there a bottle opener in the bathroom?". I didn't put 1 and 1 together.

As a long time traveler (since the 60's), if I needed a bottle opener in a hotel room or on a cruise ship, the first place I would look is in the bathroom area. It is usually mounted on the wall or a door frame in the bathroom. It is the standard location around the world if the room has an opener supplied.

As a long time traveler (since the 60's), if I needed a bottle opener in a hotel room or on a cruise ship, the first place I would look is in the bathroom area. It is usually mounted on the wall or a door frame in the bathroom. It is the standard location around the world if the room has an opener supplied.

Kind of makes sense. If the beer fizzes over, you'd want it to spill in the bathroom.

After eating, we felt guilty and headed to the gym. We had no interest in working out, but I was very excited to take a spa and gym tour.

Every cruise line is pushy on Spa tours the first day, but MSC was well staffed to sell you on the "Himalayan Dream" massage package (which looked very nice, actually). From a quick glance at a few price sheets, MSC has industry competitive prices and deals on spa services, but this is not something I ever spend my money on.

attachment.php?attachmentid=396916&stc=1&d=1477262482attachment.php?attachmentid=396917&stc=1&d=1477262482

In order to use the gym onboard, you must first fill out a waiver. To be honest, I skimmed the document and can't tell you any details of what it said. After filling out the form, the staff placed a sticker onto my room key in the shape of a small barbell. I would later use the gym twice, and it did not seem overcrowded.

There were several sign up sheets for fitness classes: Yoga, Cycling, and Aqua Cycling. From my memory, each class was $10 with the exception of the Aqua Cycling which was $15. We were told that they needed 5 people signed up in order to hold a class, and that the spots were limited to around 10 people for each class. My girlfriend signed up for 10:00 AM Yoga on the first Sea Day, but not enough people showed up to make the class. We did not try any of the other classes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=396918&stc=1&d=1477262482

We made our way back to the sports bar, as #9 Texas A&M was slated to play #8 Tennessee at 2:30 PM. We both attended Texas A&M, so missing the undefeated matchup was not an option. (A&M would later win in double overtime) The game was nationally televised on CBS, so I was hopeful they would have it. Come to find out, they would not be playing the game, and they had no ability to flip thru the channels to check. They essentially told me that they have a set list of games and that they were not able to change the pre-selected TV channels. This was the most obscure thing I've ever heard at a Sports Bar. The only channels available were ESPN Caribbean and ESPN 2 Caribbean, which featured futbol (soccer). The ship would have several NFL games playing on Sunday, but good luck finding an American College Football game onboard! :mad:

We would spend most of the next few hours streaming the game from my cell phone.

Up next: Muster drill, dinner, and our first day at sea.

IMG_1871.jpg.b6bdc23d2bc7a74dd918a2bb283c134e.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg.a91eda359fe55a417aaa5998fab930a3.jpg

1553768185_CyclingClass.jpg.89144c42b97462fc885e8e69b3faf5c1.jpg

Edited by nickw

Come to find out, they would not be playing the game, and they had no ability to flip thru the channels to check. They essentially told me that they have a set list of games and that they were not able to change the pre-selected TV channels.

This is pretty standard practice on most all cruise lines.

They have a satellite feed with a fixed number of specific channels subscribed to by corporate and do not have the ability to receive most broadcast commercial channels.

This is pretty standard practice on most all cruise lines.

They have a satellite feed with a fixed number of specific channels subscribed to by corporate and do not have the ability to receive most broadcast commercial channels.

I understand not getting all of the channels. What bothered me was their inability to change the channel if I wanted to watch a different game for a channel they DID have.

HI, thank you for the review! Did you luggage fit under the bed? We will be in a inside too in April and I am wondering what to do with our suitcases.

Our luggage did fit under the bed. Since our bed was in the king configuration, we had to slide the bags underneath the 'foot' end of the bed. There was a small bar that supported the bed (think U shape) that we had to lift the bag up about an inch to clear. No problems though!

I was on the Oct 8 cruise and loved it. I have cruised with Disney, Princess, Celebrity and now MSC. Every cruise and and every cruise line has its issues. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice of an experience I had. People in my group of travelers booked Yacht CLub, suites, and balconies. I found that the expectations of the traveler in their specific room is what determined their satisfaction. The person that spent the $4500 for the suite, that didnt have a balcony and didnt have a pull out couch, had the worst experience. They were upset about something the whole cruise. The person that bought the $700 cabin and upgraded to Yacht Club for $400 had a great experience. This really upset my friend that paid for the suite and got far less value than the upgraded friend. My cabin was next to my mother's and the steward opened the divider on the balcony making one long convenient balcony.

We paid a total of $1700 for the cabin for my wife, two kids, and I. We wouldve paid over $4000 for that cabin on Disney. There was no Goofy, No Mickey, No Princess, but my 11 year old boys absolutely loved the kids club and playing soccer with kids from all over the world.

Yes the buffet is disorganized and it is sometimes hard to get a drink. but vacation is what you make it. If you let that ruin your trip that is your fault. We loved it so much we just booked MSC for spring break in Europe.

Food was average for a ship, buffet had variety and the pizza makes up for any short falls elsewhere. My only complaints are this. They need more staff. Staff was friendly but they definitely need more staff. The buffet is hard to move around. Just like at home though, if you want to avoid people dont go to the buffet during rush hour.

I was on the Oct 8 cruise and loved it. I have cruised with Disney, Princess, Celebrity and now MSC. Every cruise and and every cruise line has its issues. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice of an experience I had. People in my group of travelers booked Yacht CLub, suites, and balconies. I found that the expectations of the traveler in their specific room is what determined their satisfaction. The person that spent the $4500 for the suite, that didnt have a balcony and didnt have a pull out couch, had the worst experience. They were upset about something the whole cruise. The person that bought the $700 cabin and upgraded to Yacht Club for $400 had a great experience. This really upset my friend that paid for the suite and got far less value than the upgraded friend. My cabin was next to my mother's and the steward opened the divider on the balcony making one long convenient balcony.

We paid a total of $1700 for the cabin for my wife, two kids, and I. We wouldve paid over $4000 for that cabin on Disney. There was no Goofy, No Mickey, No Princess, but my 11 year old boys absolutely loved the kids club and playing soccer with kids from all over the world.

Yes the buffet is disorganized and it is sometimes hard to get a drink. but vacation is what you make it. If you let that ruin your trip that is your fault. We loved it so much we just booked MSC for spring break in Europe.

Food was average for a ship, buffet had variety and the pizza makes up for any short falls elsewhere. My only complaints are this. They need more staff. Staff was friendly but they definitely need more staff. The buffet is hard to move around. Just like at home though, if you want to avoid people dont go to the buffet during rush hour.

You are so right!!! Great insight, I have seen and heard people with varying comments, complaints and actions on vacations.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

It's all about expectations. I couldn't agree more! Set low expectations and you will always have a good time.

We were still watching the football game on my phone when we started to see staff walking by in life jackets. One of the staff said "We're having muster drill here soon, you have to go to your room to get your life jacket". Not having been formally given any instructions thru the intercom, we moved down to the next lounge and continued watching the game. People started gathering in the lounge with their life jackets, despite no announcements. Fifteen minute later, they made an announcement that the drill would be starting soon, and to make your way to the cabin when the muster alarm goes off.

It was very odd to me that people were so proactive about getting their life jackets and reporting to their muster stations before we were even told to. We watched the game on my phone until we were told to by the intercom. The safety drill did not seem very serious, and I missed 90% of what they said because I was watching the game. No one asked me to put my phone away, and no one seemed to care. I'm not even sure how long the drill lasted because I was very distracted. I do think it's silly that 1. They still require guests to don their life jackets and that 2. The staff did not impose a sense of seriousness onto the guests.

attachment.php?attachmentid=397053&stc=1&d=1477455868

We would later change into pants for dinner and make our way to the dining room for our 6:00 PM seating. We were assigned the Villa Rosa dining room at the back of the ship on deck 6. I had looked at pictures before boarding the ship and had already made the impression that Villa Rosa was gaudy, but it was not as dark or as gothic as pictures seem. We arrived around 5:55, which is unlike my usual strategy where I show up 5 minutes late to avoid the rush. The dining room doors would not open until 6:12, and I attribute this to the fact that it was the first cruise after drydock with hundreds of new staff AND hundreds of staff that would later miss the boat in Miami due to Hurricane Matthew and flight cancellations (more on this later).

attachment.php?attachmentid=397054&stc=1&d=1477455868

Table 814. We were seated at a large table with two other groups, a couple from Florida and three ladies from New York/China. We quickly learned that the portions on MSC are very European (Small). Personally, I was perfectly fine with this, as I always end up miserable after dinner on Carnival because of the large portions. I heard this complaint/comment from everyone on the ship. It is true, the portions are small. However, you can still order multiple appetizers/entrees, and the buffet is open if you still need to cram some food in.

attachment.php?attachmentid=397055&stc=1&d=1477455868

Even on elegant night, Lobster would never be on the menu for free. It was on the menu every night for a fee of $19.95. The pay-items on the menu are listed below, and I believe they were the same almost every night:

Colossal Shrimp - Marise Rose cocktail sauce or American cocktail sauce ($6.95)

Surf & Turf - 5oz filet mignon and cold water lobster tail ($23.95)

Steam cold water lobster 1-1/4 - 1-1/2 pounds - with basil crunchy fresh vegetables ($19.95

Over the course of the cruise, I was satisfied with the dining room food quality and service. Our waiter was a bit slow at times, but I attribute this to him being new and them being short handed.

IMG_1875.jpg.a7d25179deba082ccafafd7ac00e07e1.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg.bd7a00d9e8d030704e311ade9bf8f5df.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg.3b7ca1d4df661e4d288c662ebc77a202.jpg

There was no Goofy, No Mickey, No Princess, but my 11 year old boys absolutely loved the kids club and playing soccer with kids from all over the world.

My DS (12) plays travel soccer. At night, you will often find the crew playing pick-up games. They are fun to watch as the court size makes it intense and fast paced, like Futsal.

Great review. Keep it coming!