Upsell strategy

LynnMW3

Years ago, I read on these boards (for a different cruise line), that sometimes you can negotiate with an agent making an upsell offer. This worked for us, when we were offered an upgrade from an oceanview to a suite for $500 pp; I countered with $500 for the cabin, and they agreed!

As I said, this was on a different line, and about 10 years ago. Has anyone recently had a similar experience on Princess? Will they negotiate, or is it usually a take it or leave it offer?

Princess started doing upsells instead of free upgrades a couple of years ago...and they are take it or leave it offers if you happen to call back and get in the queue early enough. They offer many more upsells than they have room for. You may or may not get the upsell notice and it pays to respond ASAP.

However, one person has reported keeping an eye on pricing and her Roll Call and when people first reported getting upsell calls she called in to the upsell number proactively; she was able to upsell herself.

Last spring we did a re-positioning cruise on the Ruby and got an up-sell offer to move from a regular balcony to a mini suite for something like $300.00 for a three day cruise. I countered that that was a bit much for us for only a three day cruise. The Princess agent simply said that she could not negotiate the offer and pretty much said take it as is or don't. We didn't take it.

Edited by ar1950

Has anyone recently had a similar experience on Princess? Will they negotiate, or is it usually a take it or leave it offer?

I recently had an upsell offer from inside to regular balcony on a 7-day cruise for $229/pp. I asked for $175/pp like what was given to me last year. They did not accept my counteroffer.

Years ago, I read on these boards (for a different cruise line), that sometimes you can negotiate with an agent making an upsell offer. This worked for us, when we were offered an upgrade from an oceanview to a suite for $500 pp; I countered with $500 for the cabin, and they agreed!

As I said, this was on a different line, and about 10 years ago. Has anyone recently had a similar experience on Princess? Will they negotiate, or is it usually a take it or leave it offer?

I did initiate an upsell offer on another cruise line... in fact they actually had an "upsell desk" that you could call to do it. So it's the first question I asked when I visited the Princess boards... but, alas, Princess doesn't do it that way.

I'm in Australia and the Princess upsell fairy doesn't seem to know how to contact cruisers over here!

Princess started doing upsells instead of free upgrades a couple of years ago...

The beloved Upgrade Fairy is NOT dead. In February, this year 6 days before boarding I got an upgrade from an Obstructed Oceanview - Mid to an Aloha Balcony - Aft on the Sapphire 21 day SE Asia cruise.

With upsells putting extra dollars (vs no extra dollars) in Princess' pocket these free upgrades do seem to occur a lot less often than in past years, but it can still happen.

Edited by hpeabody

The beloved Upgrade Fairy is NOT dead. In February, this year 6 days before boarding I got an upgrade from an Obstructed Oceanview - Mid to an Aloha Balcony - Aft on the Sapphire 21 day SE Asia cruise.

With upsells putting extra dollars (vs no extra dollars) in Princess' pocket these free upgrades do seem to occur a lot less often than in past years, but it can still happen.

Holly, I didn't mean to imply that there are no more free upgrades, just that since Princess started doing the upsells there are fewer opportunities remaining for the free upgrades. Thanks for clarifying what I meant to say. FWIW I read a post this week that mentioned someone had 'passed' on two upsell offers and still got a free upgrade on their sailing.....so it is maybe a measure of how well or not Princess prices the upsells. I suppose if nobody took the upsells there would still be a lot more upgrades?

Edited by cherylandtk

Holly, I didn't mean to imply that there are no more free upgrades, just that since Princess started doing the upsells there are fewer opportunities remaining for the free upgrades. Thanks for clarifying what I meant to say. FWIW I read a post this week that mentioned someone had 'passed' on two upsell offers and still got a free upgrade on their sailing.....so it is maybe a measure of how well or not Princess prices the upsells. I suppose if nobody took the upsells there would still be a lot more upgrades?

I agree. I just wanted to let folks know a free upgrade can happen, but yes, a lot less often now as long as people snap up the upsell offers. I too saw that post.

BTW, is it October 2017 yet !!!!! Such a long time to wait for that great

cruise

Do you mean flat $500 rather than $500 per person ?

Yes, they wanted $500 pp; I countered with a flat $500. They put me on hold for a minute, then came back and said okay, $500 total.

That's the only upsell/upgrade we've ever been offered (and the only time we ever sailed in a suite)...so glad it worked out for us!